Old 23-09-2020, 09:12 AM
gregbradley

New camera from ZWO

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com...t/asi294mm-pro

This looks like its meant to replace the ASI1600mm Pro.

Very high QE, no microlens artifacts, 14 bit, large full wells and low read noise.

Still has amp glow though.

The QHY version has a 41mp option as the pixels are 2x2 binned on sensor to get the 4.63 micron pixel size and 11mp. 4.63 is close to the size of the KAF8300 which has proven itself to be a very versatile camera that suits most imagers telescope setups.

Greg.
Old 23-09-2020, 11:03 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I saw that, I probably would have considered one if they were on the ground before I bought my ASI2600. Apparently there is a mono version of that in development too, which would interest me.

Regards a mono 294, the glows calibrated out easily enough in the OSC version and it is probably reasonable to expect the same out of a mono version, but the 2600 seems to spit out images that are also cleaner overall. And I thought when I saw it that it would probably be the death knell for the ASI1600MM, just as the ASI294MC seemed to kill off the 1600MC.
Old 23-09-2020, 11:27 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I saw that, I probably would have considered one if they were on the ground before I bought my ASI2600. Apparently there is a mono version of that in development too, which would interest me.

Regards a mono 294, the glows calibrated out easily enough in the OSC version and it is probably reasonable to expect the same out of a mono version, but the 2600 seems to spit out images that are also cleaner overall. And I thought when I saw it that it would probably be the death knell for the ASI1600MM, just as the ASI294MC seemed to kill off the 1600MC.
Panasonic are no longer producing that CMOS sensor so it's probably well timed to kill of the ASI1600 as the only units still in production and left over stock.

I'm still waiting for a mono APS-C and it looks like it isn't far off now. Still undecided whether to go with an APS-C and be able to use my current filters or take the big step up to the full frame mono.
Old 23-09-2020, 11:54 AM
glend (Glen)

The original ASI 294 had problems, you mentioned it's AMP glow but it also had sensor cooling issues due to its backlit architecture ( the sensor could not be cooled evenly, and a smaller cooler had to be used), this resulted in uneven cooling and gradients (which made Flat gymnastics necessary for any long sub use). The ASI1600 could be used without flats easily. The 294 is primarily used as a planetary camera, where high frame rate video can be used, and cooling and AMP glow are less of an issue. The Electronically Assisted Astronomy EAA guys also like the 294, for real time stacking video. Better choices than the 294 for traditional long sub capture.
If the Panasonic mono chip in the 1600 has been dropped, they will become real collectors items. Sorry I sold mine now.
Old 23-09-2020, 12:35 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post

The link was for the mono version. I read on CN that the OSC version can have callibration issues.

The 2600 would be a superior camera as its APSc sized, no amp glow and its 16bit. There is a mono version of the 2600 expected at some point. QHY already had their version out but sold out.

Greg.
Old 23-09-2020, 01:29 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Greg,
The 2600MC is an absolutely tremendous camera , the more I use it the more I love it. Whether imaging in Bortle 8 Sydney or down at my weekender Bortle 3 it performs extremely well in both my 6” and 8” newts
Last night captured NGC 253 down at my weekender under a setting 30% lit moon , 15 to 20 km/hr wind gusts but managed 3 hrs of reasonable data ( 4 minute dithered guided subs ) with camera running under Ascom highest dynamic range and cooled to -15C. Guiding was struggling ( 1.20 to 1.40 arc sec ) but still nice round stars to edge of field
Took 20 x darks , stacked and processed today and found hardly any noise in the final image, only applied minimal noise reduction
I’ll post the image when I get some internet.
ZWO over the past 18 months are certainly developing some excellent cameras in particular cooled OSC , obviously heavy competition with QHY
My 2600MC is a superb camera and at this early stage has been money well spent ( I did spend 6 months reviewing and researching this camera before I made my decision , oh and I’m still a novice , I’ve been a DSLR user for 3 years or so )
I’d love to see some images captured using the 2600MC with some serious focal length and aperture rigs in dark skies
Cheers
Martin
Old 23-09-2020, 04:43 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Well, I can say that I have both, 294 OSC and 2600 OSC. Regards calibration on the 294, darks are simple, flats less so. There are very stubborn issues which show up on very dark backgrounds but I got some really nice images out of mine.

The 2600 however is a snap to calibrate, IMO it is simply a better camera hands down than the 294, even ignoring the 4/3 versus APS-C sizing. But I am still using the 294 (Actually I passed it on to my Son to use) and if a mono 2600 appears I might go mono, he can have the 2600OSC and the 294 can retire.