Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Question “Budget Astrophotography” setup...need advice?

Hi guys,
My ED80 has been sitting about, pretty much doing nothing. Its part of my wanna be astrophotography dream. I got side tracked and bought a Dob/binos & other gear. Now when I look at it, sitting on its rather cheapish Alt/Azi mount; I get upset...given that I paid just as much for it as I did the dob...(should of bought the OTA only)...Anyways...what is holding me back is MONEY!!!!...I really have to do something as I am sure this little ED80 has potential...

I was thinking of going cheaper...but with gear that would not be a total waste if I ever decided to upgrade...better to go cheaper than not at all (right?) S0...:

Am I expecting too much, thinking that I can get by “Practising –astrophotography- with just an HEQ5 mount...like the one at Andrews with gears & hand controller for $899.00?

I am also thinking of just getting a 5-$600 CCD camera such as bintels Mead DSI II ?

I know I will not get fantastic results, but could is it possible that if I am willing to go through the pain, I may be able to get a good grounding with reasonable results.

900 + 600 seem realistic ... & not bad if that’s all I need to actually get started without having to buy other attachments and so forth.

Can anyone give me some ideas on this...as I just can’t really afford anything that requires anything more than a $1000.00 in one hit with regard to this little project. (I’ve put the dob build project on hold...decisions decisions

Cheers Dave.
Old 13-01-2009, 08:31 AM
rastis95 (Scott)
Cant wait for clear skies

Hi Dave,
I know your pain on this one, and astrophotography just makes it worse, but homework is essential. Ive always been told spend as much as you can on your mount as this will be the point in your setup that will have the most effect. Ive looked at the heq5 but have decided on the eq6pro because down the track you will get appeture fever and the eq5 will have trouble with the extra weight. Unfortunatly the mount is over your budget but you can get them second hand around the $1500. If you want to do long exposure photography have you thought about a guidescope or a camera with a guide chip in it. The last two im still looking into but others on this site know a lot more than me . Keep looking around, ask plenty of questions, hope my 2 bob worth is helpful.

Cheers
Scott
Old 13-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

From my personal experience the way to go is to start off using a DSLR for a year or so. It's easy to use and you'll get pictures you'll be proud of and, besides, you can use it to take pictures of Aunt Martha at the beach. When you can afford it, graduate to a decent ccd camera (sbig, qsi, fli etc). Stay away from cheap ccd cameras that promise how easy it is to get great pictures on your first night out. You get what you pay for. Your DSLR experience will be invaluable when you move to ccd imaging.
Geoff
Old 13-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Davekyn (David)

Yea...thanks guys...I know what your both saying...unfortunatley until I can increase my credit limit, I kind of have to think of things a little differently.

My scope is only a small ED80 and with a light Bintel 80 guide scope...I do believe...a HEQ5 with gears and hand controller, will get me off in the right dorection. Focal length is around F7 and if I keep the magnification down, I reackon I'll get by. If I want or need a bigger mount-I'll get one when I can aford it...and I know having a spare HEQ5 around when and if I ever do, will always come in handy.

It's a wonder I even posted If I know what I am doing...still thought it was worth seeing if anyone could relate, or had even started with infierior gear. We all can't be bying the recomended gear every time we star a hobby.

Can't really find any places that sell DSLRs (older models at reasonable prices) in australia...and from what I can gather, they need to be moded to get the full benifit, which is what I would do & I am also having a hard time finding where to get that done as well... as for the meade DSI II Pro...seems some people are getting good results for pure beginners...and I was thinking of using it as an auto guider when I can aford a more exspensive model...

Thankyou for your input though...I will keep researching, but only in terms of what I can afford and am prepared to put up with...which whilst it might look like a hard task to most...will be a challange worth taking

Hopefully I can pick up a canon eos 350D on ebay in the next month or so

Last edited by Davekyn; 13-01-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 14-01-2009, 11:26 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

you can pick up a 350d for 300-400 without lens's of course thats dyam cheap considering they are one shot colour they make it easier, and i have a idea that i could most likely get one around June this year and ill be off and running.

Yes i know your pain when it comes to inferior gear, i start with a stuffed dick smith hand me down scope on a broken eq1 tripod for over 12 months. a 12" meade wobbletronic, and a SBIG guide camera as a imaging camera that had 5 * 7 second Field of View I captured things though they wernt that great.

as for a cheap guide ccd see if you can find a Toucam or something of the sort. never easy but keep struggling youll get there.
Old 15-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Paul Haese

As far as modded DSLR's a member here named Ezystyles (Eric) does this mod. He often has camera's for sale.

Mount is the most important for sure.
Old 16-01-2009, 09:11 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Remember the Trade/Wanted section of the IIS IceTrade Classifieds here. My 20c would be to post for 2nd hand HEQ5Pro and a 350D body. Probably going to be over your $1000 limit, but might hook a mount for $700 and a camera for $300. Luck of the draw, but you might be nicely surprised.

You don't mention if you have a laptop, guidescope or webcam. Remember without these you'll be pressed to do longer than 2min subs at faint fuzzies (which lots of us seem to unreasonably lust for).

An EQ6Pro is a much heftier proposition than a Heq5Pro, but theoretically a much longer term solution. The "better" mount won't do much good if you get sick of lugging it about though. I'm very happy with my heq5 and Canon 450D. With a cheap guidescope and webcam I'm near or at load capacity for astrophot, but setup should keep me happy for quite a while.
Old 18-01-2009, 01:16 AM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

there are always options

with a DSI and the ED 80 and your EQ5 uou can get images
it may not be what folk with a lots more invested in their gear may get but at least you will be on your way

suggest a DSLR 300D or better still a 350 D upward-used -as better than a DSI.

once you get some images you can star tnto slowly explore alternatives such as autoguiiding etc
dont need to go there in the first instance
but really given your budget-please do look at a used DSLR rather than DSI (dont woryy about modded DSLR just yet)
easier and probbaly more rewarding short term
Old 18-01-2009, 01:04 PM
JimmyH155

For my venture into astrophotography, I bought the cheapest camera - the original Meade DSI camera. Hooked it up to my Meade LX100 8 inch and my little lap top (you must have one of those) . I took some fantastic photos of the Moon and M42 and even 47 Tuc and others - when it came to the software, I was completely lost. Still cant understand any of it (kernel filters, historgrammes, convolution filters etc., etc)
STILL I got some great prints - some A4 ize in black and white of the moon and clusters. These I had hanging up by my desk at work;
YES CHEAPO STUFF CAN GIVE REAL PLEASURE Even if it is not anything like some of those pics here on this forum
Go for it!!
Old 18-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Davekyn (David)

Thanks guys,
I emailed Ezystyles and am thankful to have been steered in his direction...excellent source! I’ve got a laptop Rob and am very interested in using it for both observing and plan to incorporate it for guiding and other Astro related purposes...FOR SURE...I also enjoy solar panels and will be taking an interested working that hobby into my astronomy as well J

Just of late the Argo Navis system has my attention and seems to be a well worth while purchase for where I am at...at the moment...Very affordable and will help me to learn a little more about navigation and give me even more direction in the hobby... Between using my big dob (to me it’s big J & practising with my little ed80...I think the Argo is looking like the next credit swipe about to take placeJ

I’m glad for all the input & thanks again...cheers...hope your all having a good weekend!
Dave.