ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Songbird (Tama)

Talking newbiee mee!

Hello IM NEW!

I have been interested in stars and space since I was really young.. but only recently I have found myself really interested again. I really don't know anything about space or stars at all. But I been wanting to go star gazing for a while now.. none of my friends/family are very interested in this stuff though so I found myself googling star gazing and here I am!

I'm glad I finally found a place where I can chat about this stuff and my ask my endless questions! I hope ya'll can help to extend your knowledge to a complete noob like me

BTW are there any great places to star gaze around Melbourne? and Does this forum do star gazing outings etc so someone can explain where to look and what I'm looking at? LOL

Hope to learn a lot and make new spacehead friends!
Old 17-08-2014, 06:27 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird View Post
Hello IM NEW!

I have been interested in stars and space since I was really young.. but only recently I have found myself really interested again. I really don't know anything about space or stars at all. But I been wanting to go star gazing for a while now.. none of my friends/family are very interested in this stuff though so I found myself googling star gazing and here I am!

I'm glad I finally found a place where I can chat about this stuff and my ask my endless questions! I hope ya'll can help to extend your knowledge to a complete noob like me

BTW are there any great places to star gaze around Melbourne? and Does this forum do star gazing outings etc so someone can explain where to look and what I'm looking at? LOL

Hope to learn a lot and make new spacehead friends!
Hi Tama,
Welcome to IceInSpace ,
Feel free to ask any questions, but check out the forums first to see if it has already been discussed.
Observing sessions are regularly organised, check out the Star Parties forum.
Tip #1: to help identify/find stuff: Download Stellarium (excellent free planetarium software)
Enjoy
Old 17-08-2014, 06:39 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

And a big welcome from me as well , Tama , you will get your astro fix here no problem as the people here are very friendly , so ask away any questions you want . Don't be shy .
Brian.
Old 17-08-2014, 06:42 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Tama, next recommendation. Got binoculars ? Get outside at night with them and look up ! If you haven't got a pair it is worth buying some. About 10 x 50 is ideal for field of view and light gathering power but to start with almost anything will do as they will gather more light than your naked eyes can. And naked eyes aren't bad when they are dark adapted.
Old 17-08-2014, 09:35 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Welcome!
Old 17-08-2014, 10:56 AM
james_n (James)

Old 17-08-2014, 01:30 PM
james_n (James)

You can see the moon well with binoculars.
Old 17-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Just keep in mind that binoculars are just two telescopes stuck together, so that you actually already probably own or have access to an instrument that could keep you amused stargazing for months or for years.

Depends where you live in Melbourne. There are a few groups - the Astronomical Society of Victoria go viewing at Heathcote, the Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society go viewing at Mt Martha.

Many just find a dark spot out of the city. But Melbourne actually isn't anywhere near as light polluted as other big cities in the world - very many open clusters and nebula and globular clusters may well be visible from your backyard (though they will be better out in the country). Galaxies though are much tougher to see, unless you go somewhere dark.
Regards,
Renato
Old 18-08-2014, 10:07 AM
scagman (John)

Hi Tama,

Welcome.

Depending on what part of Melbourne your from or how far you wish to travel, I'm holding a viewing night this saturday (23rd) at my place in kinglake west. See this thread http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=93338 for further details. Its only a small gathering but usually a good night.

Cheers
Old 20-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Songbird (Tama)

Talking

Thank you all so much for all your advice and help! I will definitely keep them all in mind. I did not know anyone even replied until I randomly went back into my post.. I'm so glad I did now!

I would love to get some binoculars... one day. I know absolutely nothing about them though.. maybe I should wait until I am more knowledgeable so I do not waste money on a dud... can there be dud ones? ... totally clueless.

I downloaded some astronomy apps on my phone today, amazing what they can do with phones these days!

I remember I first went to the planetarium place somewhere here in Melbourne when I was younger.. that's what first got me in to astronomy I think. I would love to go back to that cinema on the roof place again... memories

Thank you all again for your help
Old 20-08-2014, 05:03 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:

I would love to get some binoculars... one day. I know absolutely nothing about them though.. maybe I should wait until I am more knowledgeable so I do not waste money on a dud... can there be dud ones? ... totally clueless.
Even an average $60 pair 10X50 binoculars can be good for astronomy (they are nowhere near as sharp at the edges as in the centre of the field). More expensive is better. Just avoid the cheap $20 pairs of Chinese binoculars in cheap stores and Ebay. They are very subaverage and are often out of collimation, which gives you a headache after 10 minutes of use.
Regards,
Renato
Old 20-08-2014, 03:45 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi tama,

the mornington peninsula astronomical society holds public viewing nights the first Friday of every month.

if you become a member ($50) you can attend club member viewing nights at their viewing site (the Briars Mt Martha). its a good way to learn more about the sky hanging around and asking questions (and looking through telescopes). and also is safe.

http://www.mpas.asn.au/index.htm

cheers,

rusty
Old 20-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Songbird (Tama)

Hey Renato!

$60 sounds like an amazingly good price for my first binoculars! Any recommendations of a brand or place to buy? .. maybe I will pop into Harvey Norman.. those guys have everything thanks for your reply xD

Thanks Rusty! I will look into becoming a member soon.. I think once I meet an astronomy-head friend to go to these kinds of events with me, I will be more willing to go.. for now though I have to admit that I am a bit hesitant. Hopefully soon! Thanks so much again!
Old 21-08-2014, 02:16 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

As I said in another thread, I recently bought a pair of binoculars in an OP shop (although I have more than 1 telescope too in spite of being a beginner!) and I could see the moon fine, even some craters... I also looked at some stars and they looked fine too. I second the suggestion to avoid cheap binoculars on eBay. Look around in OP shops, they quite often have binoculars. Avoid binoculars bigger than 10x50 if you don't want to use a tripod. Anyway, the first number refers to the magnification. The second number refers to the aperture, exactly like in a telescope (and binoculars are actually two small telescopes joined together). There is some good info by members in a thread I started.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=124167
The ones I bought are exactly the same as these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Prinz-10x...3D331295427409
They don't cost a fortune new and they don't even make them any more, but I got them for a good price, so I am happy.
Good luck!

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 21-08-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 23-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Songbird (Tama)

hey ozstargazer! Looks awesome! I might go and look for some today Never bought anything online but if I can't find anything, I will look online! thanks for your advice
Old 23-08-2014, 05:15 PM
alistairsam

Hi Tama

Welcome. Just do a search for astronomy clubs in melbourne, there are a few, and look up their public viewing nights. I understand the hesitation but they're very accomodative of beginners and you'll quickly get the hang of things.
The astronomy society of victoria also has public viewing nights and a lot of families attend.
Ask away.

Cheers
Alistair
Old 27-08-2014, 04:00 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Hey Renato!

$60 sounds like an amazingly good price for my first binoculars! Any recommendations of a brand or place to buy? .. maybe I will pop into Harvey Norman.. those guys have everything thanks for your reply xD

Thanks Rusty! I will look into becoming a member soon.. I think once I meet an astronomy-head friend to go to these kinds of events with me, I will be more willing to go.. for now though I have to admit that I am a bit hesitant. Hopefully soon! Thanks so much again!
Sorry for my tardiness in replying.

You can check out the binoculars at Andrews
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-11.htm

or wander into Binocular and Telescope shop for something that should be reasonable.

Alternatively, I remember how I became a semi-expert. Go into a camera store like Ted's in the city, and ask to look at their binoculars in different price ranges. Look across the road and pay attention to the contrast (lively image) and performance at the edges. I tried a $100, a $200 pair, a $400 pair, a $600 pair and a $2400 pair of 10X42 Leicas (best pair I've ever looked through).

Remember what you saw when you evaluate cheap pairs you come across at K-Mart, Dick Smith, Harvey Norman, National Geographic . You'll say either "eeek" or "not bad" or "surprisingly good".

Cheers,
Renato
Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Pinwheel (Doug)

If money is a problem check out used gear at a camera shop or even the op shop. That set of bino's the previous owner used to watch the GG's maybe perfect for you, & CHEAP too!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:26 PM
chellaxy (Chelle)

Hi Songbird,
Like you I don't have friends/family interested in looking upwards! And the IceInSpace forums have been great, people here are so friendly and knowledgeable
My binoculars were a pair of 10x50 Celestron "UpClose" for $49 from Andrews (someone posted the link below) and they are great I believe they are still the same price! I have a telescope now so I don't use them as often as I used to but you just can't go past a pair of binoculars to keep you occupied!

Chelle