Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 10-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Exfso (Peter)

BSOD. This has me stumped

In the last few weeks, my Windows 7pro desktop has been getting the dreaded BSOD on a pretty regular basis. Eventually the whole shebang shat itself, could not even get the damn thing to boot up. Anyway a computer tech mate of mine managed to get it up and running, he had to do a complete re install of the OS, which I thought might have been the case. He tested it, in all conceivable ways, ran the memtest for 7 iterations, and that confirmed it was not RAM. I got it back last Monday and ran like a top for 4 days, and you guessed it, BSOD again. I have nothing attached to the computer, it is basically a virgin! Only running Office, and my ESET internet security.
So I rang him and he was dumbfounded, looking like it might be the Motherboard which is around 5 yrs old, so no way is there any replacements available. So any of you gurus out there have any ideas on this one.
Obviously any help much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:48 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Did you check/swap the power supply? They are one of the main causes of instabilities and would be my first guess.

If that has been ruled out reset the BIOS (no overclocking or similar) and after that start swapping components until you find the culprit.

Memtest only checks RAM. Google PC stability testing to find some software which will test all the hardware.

But swap the power supply first.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:44 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Thanks Luka, don't have a spare power supply, will mention this and the bios to my mate and get his take on it. He builds and repairs PC's for a living and has done so for 20 years. been hammering the PC today and it is ticking over nicely, bloody intermittent faults are a real pain..
Old 11-07-2018, 07:47 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I've had BSOD caused by the video card before as well. Sometimes the diagnostic report generated by Windows after a BSOD can give you an idea of the driver / component giving you the headache.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:56 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Yes, 99% of BSOD are hardware or drivers related. Before changin BIOS or shuffling things around look for these.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Exfso (Peter)

When the OS was rebuilt, all the drivers were updated, I have no cards on the system, everything is onboard as in Video, sound etc.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:29 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

There's got to be something wrong with the MB, RAM or any other hardware component if you did a fresh install and it still shuts down intermittently.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Mark, my mate did a ramtest run with 7 iterations when he re-installed windows, and it checked out perfect. Yep, leaning toward the motherboard.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:52 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Hi Peter,

As Dean mentioned, the bsod writes a log file which may help. I’ve also noticed that when the bsod is actually happening, if you look towards the bottom of the screen before it reboots, sometimes there is a reference to a hardware driver that might be causing the issues.

A windows update can also update a driver you already had loaded and cause issues.

Cheers
Damien.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:56 PM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Yes, BSOD generates (among other data) something called a STOP code.

The STOP Code is in the format 0x00000000, where (usually) it is the last two bits that identify the problem. For example, 0x00000050 or 0x0000007B.

If you can identify what the STOP code is for your situation, this should point you in the right direction for resolving the issue.

Also, try Googling "BSOD STOP codes" for more information.

Given that the problem is persisting even after the OS has recently been reinstalled from scratch, this does seem to indicate it is likely to be a hardware fault, rather than a corrupted software driver.

But you never know - Windows is a strange beast...

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2018, 05:17 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift13 View Post
Yes, BSOD generates (among other data) something called a STOP code.
Here's a comprehensive list. 50 shades of blue.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Thanks chaps. the screens I photographed before the rebuild had a stop code ending in 0003B. the latest efforts did the dump before I could photograph the screen.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:43 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Thanks chaps. the screens I photographed before the rebuild had a stop code ending in 0003B. the latest efforts did the dump before I could photograph the screen.
Sounds like the MB then
Old 11-07-2018, 08:35 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Take the lid of your PC and remove and re insert all the cards and memory. Twice.

Check for obvious crud/dust in the process.

Do the same for all the connectors going to the devices and the motherboard.

After 5 years, something is bound to have gathered a little crud.

I have done this on numerous PC's and at least half have gone on for a few more years, the others I threw away.

The other way to look at it is 'Wow that's a nice shiny new fast computer in the shop'! After 5 years I usually update to something way better.

Cheers,
Damien.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:36 PM
JA

It certainly would be a good idea to change out a power supply to test the fault. Also take a careful look at all the electrolytic type capacitors on the motherboard and look for any sign of bulging on top or sides, leaking or spewing out of internals.

Best
JA
Old 17-07-2018, 10:13 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

sounds power related but that might be bad caps on MB, bad PSU, even where in your home you have it plugged in to the mains voltage. Plug it in somewhere else in the house AWAY from where you have it plugged into. Homes have several power loops, not one loop covering all wall sockets or one fuse per wall socket. If you have cheap powerboards and cheap "dirty" (electrically) devices plugged in to the same loop it could be causing spikes going to your pc (any everythin else on the same loop). If you turn off the fuse that covers the powerpoint your computer is connected to, take note of powerpoints still active and move your computer to one of those and run it there. You probably have a cheap fan heater thats a high power draw and often poorly made on the same loop, or $2 powerstrip. You can test and narrow it down, but first move the computer to an entirely different power loop and run from there. If it doesnt bsod the computer is fine, your home is not. If it continues to bsod then it is in the computer somwhere. its simple process of elimination rather than jumping to false and expensive conclusions.
Old 19-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Running through a UPS, so should be getting fine 240vac
Old 19-07-2018, 04:45 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hi Peter,

Just to entertain the whimsical... what exact mainboard model is in this PC?

Cheers, Andy.
Old 20-07-2018, 12:11 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Andy it is a Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H.
Old 21-07-2018, 01:50 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I recall that some time ago there was a virus or Trojans that caused BSOD. If you have a spare HDD might be worth running a fresh install to see if the problem persists.

Last edited by acropolite; 24-07-2018 at 07:21 AM.