Old 08-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Paul Haese

AO guiding

I recently took possession of an AOX from SBIG and am seeking opinions on the following questions.

1. In CCDAP and when using Maxim, how do you control the locate star exposure and maintain a sub second track time exposure? I am assuming that I click on both auto guide exposure and let maxim select guide stars.

2. How bright does a star have to be to get 30hz guiding when using an f8 system through a 12"? I am assuming a star would need to be around mag 4 or 5. I can only manage 0.5" track time with 1.8hz guiding at present. See image below for results.

3. How do you effectively work out bump values? I am just plodding around at present but have my bump commencing around 24% + or - with a bump time of around 17 (1/100).

The reason for these questions is that there does not seem to be much out there on the web with any guide lines. Even the various retailers don't seem to have much in the way of documentation.

Also I thought having some info here for members for future use would be helpful.

See the image below for a crop of my efforts so far. I did not know that the Trifid nebula had five stars in its heart. Two very close stars which I could not separate out with the current AOX guiding. That image is straight out of the stack with no other processing done to it. I found that the stars are slightly tighter than I would usually obtain at my site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sum M20 90 Ha crop a.jpg)
42.8 KB59 views