ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2016, 05:50 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Is this the only product available from ALDI that is potentially harmful but unlikely to cause harm if used correctly, as per enclosed instructions? If not, what exactly are we complaining about? ACCC, really? This thing might actually work to some extent, and I just haven't been able to produce any mouth froth (been trying all day) at the fact that you can now buy a device that allows you to see the surface of the Sun, from a supermarket.
I take your point Mirko but we don't sell guns in supermarkets do we? (At least not yet).
The point is this so called solar scope is a dangerous product. It has a Baader film filter which is easily damaged if not stored properly. Unfiltered sun through a telescope will fry an eyeball faster than an ant under a magnifying glass.
Bo
Old 07-12-2016, 05:51 PM
traveller (Bo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Get it on social media - will spread faster than TV.
Yep, my Facebook post has been shared 76 times already, so thanks people who helped out including members on this forum.
I have also contacted some media outlets to let them know.
Aldi got back to me with a pat on head saying they have warning labels on these scopes.
Bo
Old 07-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
I take your point Mirko but we don't sell guns in supermarkets do we? (At least not yet).Bo
Bo,

Whilst I am as concerned as others here re this scope, the fact is that not too many years ago, firearms were able to be purchased from any "store" who chose to sell them.

The fact is that a firearm won't fire if there's not a human being to pull the trigger and the motivations for such an action go way beyond the scope of this thread, it is a complex and sensitive (to some) issue.

Actually, the first response to this thread http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=150576 kind of partially illustrates what I am alluding to, it is one of the most balanced, thoughtfully informed replies I recall seeing on IIS.

No offence or confrontation intended.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:20 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Chris I feel I must thank you for your kind words so I say thank you very much.

I plan getting one of these scopes and burning out my left eye and cleaning up with a massive compo claim... so back off the campaign I dont want them withdrawn before my ship comes in.

Alex
Old 07-12-2016, 10:30 PM
traveller (Bo)

No offence taken Chris. You make good points.
I guess a better comparison would be the mermaid swim suit that's sold about a year ago. Looked innocent and cute, but real potential for danger.
Bo
Old 08-12-2016, 12:50 AM
ferozious

@xelasnave
Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 AM
Ausrock (Chris)

Alex,

I've lost count of the number of times I've re-read your reply in that thread, so much of what you said sits almost too comfortably with my beliefs regarding why "we" instinctively act as we do......I thank you!!!

Bo,

The mermaid suit is probably a better comparison.

EDIT: I've removed the rest of my response re Aldi and their potential culpability regarding this 'scope as it will just bog this thread down.

Cheers guys.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:11 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferozious View Post
@xelasnave

Alex
Old 08-12-2016, 01:15 AM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

This can not happen soon enough!

Read this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-0...oducts/8100912
Old 08-12-2016, 08:58 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardrifter_WA View Post
This can not happen soon enough!

Read this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-0...oducts/8100912
Phew...had me worried there for a minute. Thought the photo on the page showed the result of Aldi scope use.

Yes the mermaid suit thing is probably a better comparison as guns are designed to cause damage.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:22 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
The point is this so called solar scope is a dangerous product.
Whilst I take your point this statement is incorrect, the product will only become dangerous if you use the item incorrectly, or happen to damage the filter & keep using it [which I don't think any of us has seen the instruction manual yet-to see what caveats it makes]

I don't see how contacting the ACCC will offer any help [as baader solar film is sold nearly all reputable astro shops], how many amateur astronomers have used baader solar film?

its a bit like calling for hot hatch cars to be banned as they are usually bought by moran bogans who drive them at high speed, possible under IOA, or meth., race each other & could hit a new mother pushing a pram at the lights..if you campaigned Mitsubishi to stop selling EVO or Subaru to WRX's what kind of response do you think you would get?

many products have the potential to be dangerous -doesn't mean they will get banned
Old 08-12-2016, 11:52 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I think the difference here is the advertising of the product. The scopes are being marketed as "Solar" scopes and targeted at a market highly unlikely to have any astro experience and with limited understanding of the risks involved. It must be OK to obersve the sun right? I can buy a telescope to do it with at the supermarket!

The equivalent might be Mitsubishi stripping equipment off the EVO, selling them new for $20K with an advertising line of "Go race your mates" along with a warning label "Please race responsibly"
Old 08-12-2016, 12:47 PM
N1 (Mirko)

[/QUOTE]
The equivalent might be Mitsubishi stripping equipment off the EVO, selling them new for $20K with an advertising line of "Go race your mates" along with a warning label "Please race responsibly"[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much how booze is sold.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:52 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

The equivalent might be Mitsubishi stripping equipment off the EVO, selling them new for $20K with an advertising line of "Go race your mates" along with a warning label "Please race responsibly"[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much how booze is sold.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how the TAC views Mazda's "zoom zoom" ads.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:03 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
The equivalent might be Mitsubishi stripping equipment off the EVO, selling them new for $20K with an advertising line of "Go race your mates" along with a warning label "Please race responsibly"
Quote:
That's pretty much how booze is sold.
The thought is not lost on me.

Quote:
I wonder how the TAC views Mazda's "zoom zoom" ads.
It does not seem to take much to get their noses out of joint, so long as you are selling cars. Recall that a Holden ad where a driver suddenly visualizes his kids scattered toys in the driveway as a slalom was banned, however an iced coffee ad where a driver in a ute sneaks up behind a truck and then rips a handbrake turn to chase it backwards while an accomplice steals iced choc out of the truck was OK. The message presumably being that motorsport at low speed is bad and driving backwards at 100KMH to steal something out of a truck is OK.

Last edited by The_bluester; 08-12-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:38 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post

I plan getting one of these scopes and burning out my left eye and cleaning up with a massive compo claim... so back off the campaign I dont want them withdrawn before my ship comes in.

Alex
Old 08-12-2016, 03:41 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

and my favorite chestnut ,,,

' Gamble responsibly ' , fine advice coming from the TAB .

Brian.

That's pretty much how booze is sold.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-12-2016, 05:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well we live in a society where folk can rape and murder and escape severe penalty and know that all concern will go to the rehabilitation of the accused rather than any concern for the damage done to the victim or to those left behind to puzzle why justice is not properly served.
Why should we give a dam if some inoccent kid damages his eye sight.... the item is cheap so surely that means the vendor has no responsibilty.
Our society, our government our culture is ingrained with hypocracy greed and abdication of responsibility why should we care?
Of course I am being silly but sometimes the failures I notice get me down.
Alex
Old 08-12-2016, 08:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Fred
So what do you reckon I can get for a burnt out eye ball?

Any piles of money attracts scavengers and parasites.
You can bet if you were not insured nothing would have come of the incident.

I could tell stories that you would not believe.

Anyways we must stay positive.

Alex
Old 08-12-2016, 09:30 PM
PeterM

How many kids will get these as Christmas presents ..probably lots. How many parents will read the instructions and warnings... probably very few. The potential for injury is probably likely. After all it is a telescope and google tells me that means to look or see. Maybe it is a safe product if used correctly, but please don't feel warm and fuzzy about that. If a childs eyesight is damaged because they/parents didnt follow the instructions or they were lost or binned then that would be tragic. Irreversible eye damage at an early age would be devasting. Our role is to get kids safely interested in this rapidly becoming old peoples hobby. I applaud those who have passed on their concerns by whatever means. I will be at my local Aldi tomorrow and on Saturday and raise my concerns.

Last edited by PeterM; 08-12-2016 at 11:30 PM.