Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 23-01-2021, 07:20 PM
sneaks (Paul)

Please suggest camera adapater for me

Hi. Pulled the trigger on a 61EDPH Mk2 with .8 reducer, and need to attach it to my Canon 600D. But not sure what I need exactly.

https://www.365astronomy.com/sharpst...flattener.html

Is this suitable?

https://www.siderealtrading.com.au/p...ter-for-canon/

Not sure what I need, what I'm missing, whether it will allow me to reach focus, etc. Any tips much appreciated.
Old 24-01-2021, 11:30 AM
JA

Hello Paul,

If you use the telescope with the reducer then you should be good with an M48 x0.75 (T-ring) to Canon EF/EFS adapter since that reducer is specified as having a M48 MALE thread to connect to.

If you are using the telescope WITHOUT the reducer then you also need a nose piece which screws in to the aforementioned M48 to Canon T-ring. That assembly ( nose piece and M48 Canon EF Tring) goes in to the telescope focuser tube which in your case supports either a 1.25 or 2 inch interface (according to the specs you listed). Since your telescope supports a 44 mm image circle l would suggest you use a 2 inch nose piece, which threads on to the T-ring and then is placed in the focuser and is held in place by the focuser thumbscrews.
You may find these nosepieces sepately or even with the relevant t-ring on say ebay or purchase via an astronomy website such as Bintel or Andrews Communications. You may also choose to buy 2 Trings: one which could remain on your reducer and one to use with the 2inch nose piece.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 24-01-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 26-01-2021, 02:58 PM
sneaks (Paul)

Thankyou JA, much appreciated.
I will be using it with the reducer and have a T-ring on the way.

It just confused me when the reducer description says:
"the focal plane is 55mm from the end interface"
I didn't know if that meant I need a spacing tube between the reducer and T-ring to create 55mm of space to focus the image at the sensor? If you do, I don't think there is 55mm from the rear of the reducer to the sensor, but who knows.... It's all a bit confusing.
Old 26-01-2021, 03:19 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

DSLR's T ring adapters are standardized to have the focal point be 55mm behind the front of the t-ring, this is so no matter what brand of camera you attach with various t-rings, it should be in focus,

So you may need to space things depending on if you have enough focusing range to put the front of the t-ring in the right place,

In this case the reducer is implying that any camera should be able to connect to the end of it without any need for spacers, as that distance is 55mm behind it.
Old 27-01-2021, 07:40 PM
sneaks (Paul)

Ah, starting to make sense. Thanks.