Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 28-02-2021, 08:22 PM
AUST2000 (Andrew)

NGC 3576 - Statue of Liberty

I have had a great learning exercise on this nebula.
The starless image was done to try and highlight the extraordinary nebulosity that showcases the "Statue".
Now the processing may not be palatable to all tastes but I still have source files to have another go down the track....

Astrobin larger image:
https://www.astrobin.com/full/7n7erb/0/?nc=user

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 3576 Statue of Liberty 1920x1080.jpg)
165.2 KB168 views
Old 28-02-2021, 11:08 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Humm...has a familiar ring to it.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:17 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Looks great! Which OTA were you using here?

Your gear list is impressive How long have you been at this? If your join date for IIS indicates your length of time in the hobby, I'd have to nominate you for rookie of the year with an image like that Your resolution seems great to me and I like the colours.

Oh, and I hope you don't take Peter's lukewarm response to heart. I suppose he thinks your image is is too similar to his Greenwich winner to deserve any decent feedback. I wonder what he thinks of his effort compared to the winner of exactly the same category one year earlier
Old 01-03-2021, 12:34 PM
AUST2000 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Humm...has a familiar ring to it.

Yes Peter but I know that down the track I may process this a bit different as my style changes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Looks great! Which OTA were you using here?

Your gear list is impressive How long have you been at this? If your join date for IIS indicates your length of time in the hobby, I'd have to nominate you for rookie of the year with an image like that Your resolution seems great to me and I like the colours.

Oh, and I hope you don't take Peter's lukewarm response to heart. I suppose he thinks your image is is too similar to his Greenwich winner to deserve any decent feedback. I wonder what he thinks of his effort compared to the winner of exactly the same category one year earlier

Thanks jahnpahwa. Glad you liked the image and thanks for your feedback. I did start this hobby mid last year and it's been (and still is) a huge learning curve. Andy Campbell was an excellent mentor and helped a lot with getting me pointed in the right direction. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning that. I am not phased by any comments (good or bad) as I assume the intention is to provide guidance / feedback. If you look back at Andy's images you will see he has had an influence in this image (and probably future images). Peter's Greenwich winner is stunning.
Andrew
Old 01-03-2021, 02:32 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Some excellent detail in there Andrew. The colour palette and the starless aspect spoil it for me though (I can tell Andy has been giving you pointers! ) BUT the image does have a compelling quality about it. The composition is great too! Nicely done!
Old 01-03-2021, 05:45 PM
AUST2000 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Some excellent detail in there Andrew. The colour palette and the starless aspect spoil it for me though (I can tell Andy has been giving you pointers! ) BUT the image does have a compelling quality about it. The composition is great too! Nicely done!

Thanks Marcus, it is a polarising image due to the amped up colour and being devoid of stars. Great feedback.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:59 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUST2000 View Post
..... it is a polarising image due to the amped up colour and being devoid of stars.....
Hi Andrew,

It's definitely my polarity Andrew.... Great Image

I really like the almost diagonal orange ridge that separates the violet at the top of the image from orange below. It clearly delineates the light violet colour as what in real life would be the "blue" sky behind The Statue. It gives it an Earth/Sky feeling.

Best
JA
Old 01-03-2021, 06:15 PM
gregbradley

Gee that's detailed. Love it. High impact image.

Let me guess a 10 or 12 inch F4 Newt was the scope?

Greg.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:07 PM
AUST2000 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Andrew,

It's definitely my polarity Andrew.... Great Image

I really like the almost diagonal orange ridge that separates the violet at the top of the image from orange below. It clearly delineates the light violet colour as what in real life would be the "blue" sky behind The Statue. It gives it an Earth/Sky feeling.

Best
JA

Ha ha, thanks JA glad you are plugged in with this polarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Gee that's detailed. Love it. High impact image.

Let me guess a 10 or 12 inch F4 Newt was the scope?

Greg.

Glad you love it Greg. Around 2000mm focal length reflector Greg, but I think the detail also comes from the high resolution camera (and of course some post-processing).
Old 01-03-2021, 09:19 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Certainly a rather cool looking result Andrew and yes there seems to be some nice fine detail present, well done on the capture

I don't mean to sound negative ... but I'm with Marcus though, one needs to be careful, going starless using AI Topaz etc nearly always imparts a harsh, grainy almost messy look, to the image, especially to the background and the highlights look like bright oil paint It would likely look quite good printed, perhaps on metal or canvas, as more of an artwork but for me, its hard to truly see it as an astroimage anymore

Again well done with all the work

Mike
Old 01-03-2021, 09:47 PM
AUST2000 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Certainly a rather cool looking result Andrew and yes there seems to be some nice fine detail present, well done on the capture

I don't mean to sound negative ... but I'm with Marcus though, one needs to be careful, going starless using AI Topaz etc nearly always imparts a harsh, grainy almost messy look, to the image, especially to the background and the highlights look like bright oil paint It would likely look quite good printed, perhaps on metal or canvas, as more of an artwork but for me, its hard to truly see it as an astroimage anymore

Again well done with all the work

Mike

Thanks Mike for the detailed feedback. I agree that it's off center from a typical "pure" astroimage (not that I have read that manual on that yet ) and yes, I think that a metallic print would look great.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:39 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I just had a look at your AstroBin page. Wow. +44 hours of exposure.
Holey Moley !

No telescope mentioned. OK . so fess up..what optics are you using?
Old 01-03-2021, 11:28 PM
AUST2000 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I just had a look at your AstroBin page. Wow. +44 hours of exposure.
Holey Moley !

No telescope mentioned. OK . so fess up..what optics are you using?

Yes Peter, very long exposure but as you know it gives amazing signal to noise ratio. I have yet to look at the time vs SNR equation to see when enough is enough.

Ok, such interest in gear here, I have updated the AstroBin page to include the OTA...
Old 01-03-2021, 11:47 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Yes Peter, very long exposure but as you know it gives amazing signal to noise ratio. I have yet to look at the time vs SNR equation to see when enough is enough.

Ok, such interest in gear here, I have updated the AstroBin page to include the OTA...
Seriously? Rare bird indeed.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:53 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I really love your image, and that only after starting mid last year.
Can't only hope to get that far.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:42 PM
AUST2000 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsil View Post
I really love your image, and that only after starting mid last year.
Can't only hope to get that far.

Thanks Wilsil, it's a fun and frustrating pursuit but nice when an image comes together.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:20 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Andy Campbell was an excellent mentor and helped a lot with getting me pointed in the right direction. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning that. I am not phased by any comments (good or bad) as I assume the intention is to provide guidance / feedback. If you look back at Andy's images you will see he has had an influence in this image (and probably future images). Peter's Greenwich winner is stunning.
Andrew
Thanks Andrew, really appreciate the nice feedback & endorsement! So you’re Certainly producing amazing results and well on the fast track to consistent imaging success!

At this point you can take either the safe well trodden path or the risky one with Your processing, but while not guaranteed, only the bold stand out in the crowd!
Great image, well done!

Edit: Ps- learn from Mike & Marcus’ comments, I’ve learned a lot from them ��

Last edited by Andy01; 02-03-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:34 AM
atalas

Hey can anyone tell me where I can buy a high quality trumpet? oh sorry I might of posted in the wrong section.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:51 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by atalas View Post
Hey can anyone tell me where I can buy a high quality trumpet? oh sorry I might of posted in the wrong section.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

I'm convinced that producing a starless version as an intermediate step is necessary, and yours is excellent.

Bravo!

But I'd like to see the stars put back. One reason is that it's very difficult to be sure that you've revealed the true nebulosity "behind" the brightest stars. Imagine you place a coin over some writing. A human (one of the very best AI's there is) can take a guess what words might be under the coin, but the author might have written just about anything.

It's easy to add the stars (or just the H-alpha stars) back again as white, or to have a go at guessing the star colours from the OIII/{Ha+OIII} ratio, or best of all, to add RGB stars to the starless image.

Best,
Mike