Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-12-2014, 06:04 PM
rogerg (Roger)

The simple life

Once upon a time, a long long time ago (it feels like), I had a relatively simple life. I worked during the day, I did astronomy at night, dreamt about what astro toys to buy, and enjoyed a whole range of photography. I even had time to enjoy things like cooking and cycling! Oh wait, I even had time to casually browse IIS and reply to posts!

Now, I have so much stuff going on, so many to-do lists of many items, so many contentious issues to deal with, navigate and mediate. Life is just too “full on” !

What ever happened to the simple life?!
Old 17-12-2014, 06:23 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Crikey, Roger, chuck a couple of attention deficit juvenile harpies with Tourette's syndrome (ie two perfectly normal young girls) into the mix and get back to me...
Old 17-12-2014, 06:29 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
Crikey, Roger, chuck a couple of attention deficit juvenile harpies with Tourette's syndrome (ie two perfectly normal young girls) into the mix and get back to me...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...1&d=1418801370
Old 17-12-2014, 06:41 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Its called "modern living" and my family for one is over it. We're lucky enough to have a big bush block and we are in the planning stages of ditching the "modern lifestyle". Gonna live in a shack, make wine, grow our own veges and get back to enjoying ourselves.
Old 17-12-2014, 06:45 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
link didn't work?
Anyway - you've seen 'em at it...
Old 17-12-2014, 07:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I moved to the big bush block built the shack created water and power supplies garden fish and yabbies in the dam and capitalised on the dark sky...I highly recommend it.
Old 17-12-2014, 07:28 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I moved to the big bush block built the shack created water and power supplies garden fish and yabbies in the dam and capitalised on the dark sky...I highly recommend it.
I reckon I'll be picking your brains at some stage mate...
Old 17-12-2014, 07:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Learn how to burn off without taking out the neighbours.
Buy your veggies and grog.
Sleep all day so you can stay up all night.
If off the grid buy 240 vlt gear and run a big inverter.
12 fly gear is not cheap even 240 vlt fridge is the go.
Clear a spot for the wespac helicopter and you have it.
Old 17-12-2014, 07:50 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Its called "modern living" and my family for one is over it. We're lucky enough to have a big bush block and we are in the planning stages of ditching the "modern lifestyle". Gonna live in a shack, make wine, grow our own veges and get back to enjoying ourselves.
Unfortunately I'm some time off being financially able to give up my day job and move to a remote bush block.

Andrew perhaps the chaos of your children forces you to exclude other activities and chaos from your life just to keep up with them? And so thereby not being any more or less chaotic than someone who fills their life with other dramas .... My theory is that everyone has a limit and they "fill up" to that limit throughout life but just through different activities.
Old 17-12-2014, 07:52 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Clear a spot for the wespac helicopter and you have it.
Good planning there
Old 17-12-2014, 07:53 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Fill up
I think I have had my share and someone elses
Old 17-12-2014, 08:25 PM
ianB (Ian)

Life can be simple ( to a degree ) for example many believe that to be happy you require a good job and a healthy bank balance, a new car every three years and an overseas holiday as well as a big house which more often than not is not needed.
To pay for all this many work long hours which can bring on stress and leaves less time for the family let alone any hobby.

Basically all we need is a roof over our head food in the fridge and clean clothing......anything beyond this is not a need but a want, and society is generally geared up to make us think that we need many things to be happy when in reality we dont.......not that there is anything wrong in having many things and a big bank balance, but these things need to be balanced so that enough time is left for what really matters and thats the family.

Anyway just my thought in general.
Old 17-12-2014, 09:21 PM
cjb (Chris)

The best thing I ever did was to get rid of my mobile phone. Didn't need it for work. I leave my answer phone on with my land line and screen all my calls. I don't have a credit card. I don't have the internet (I go to Macca's or the library). I learnt to say no. I am lucky enough not to have a mortgage and very few bills. I am self employed and only work when I need to. I spend most of my time playing golf and doing astronomy However, it has taken me some time and a lot of effort to achieve this "simple life" but it is possible

Chris
Old 17-12-2014, 09:56 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb View Post
The best thing I ever did was to get rid of my mobile phone. Didn't need it for work. I leave my answer phone on with my land line and screen all my calls. I don't have a credit card. I don't have the internet (I go to Macca's or the library). I learnt to say no. I am lucky enough not to have a mortgage and very few bills. I am self employed and only work when I need to. I spend most of my time playing golf and doing astronomy However, it has taken me some time and a lot of effort to achieve this "simple life" but it is possible

Chris
Sounds good Chris. I certainly live within my means and try to minimise unnecessary spending on the theory of having less reliance on work and hence more free time.

Perhaps my biggest underlying problem is half my brain can't help but strive for something better, do more, do whatever it can to make a difference in life and make something of myself. Always trying to take on things which perhaps if I didn't do them they wouldn't get done. Problem is the other half of my brain just can't cope with all the pressure and working from dawn to dusk.
Old 18-12-2014, 12:16 AM
cjb (Chris)

I know how you feel Roger - but I'm lucky in that my work is also my hobby, so I don't worry if I have to finish something off at night or on a weekend. I guess it is all a big balancing act really and I wish you all the best in finding that "happy place"

chris
Old 18-12-2014, 12:42 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Sounds good Chris. I certainly live within my means and try to minimise unnecessary spending on the theory of having less reliance on work and hence more free time.

Perhaps my biggest underlying problem is half my brain can't help but strive for something better, do more, do whatever it can to make a difference in life and make something of myself. Always trying to take on things which perhaps if I didn't do them they wouldn't get done. Problem is the other half of my brain just can't cope with all the pressure and working from dawn to dusk.
Learn to prioritise and discern which are the important things that need doing. Delegate or discard the rest.
Once you undertsand you can't do everything it becomes easy to make decisions about what is important.

As you get older you find you can do less so you have to make better decisions.

Been there, done that.
Old 18-12-2014, 12:54 PM
leon

Well said Ian.

Leon
Old 18-12-2014, 05:16 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm some time off being financially able to give up my day job and move to a remote bush block.
So am I but, we don't give a rats anymore.
Old 18-12-2014, 05:18 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianB View Post

Basically all we need is a roof over our head food in the fridge and clean clothing......anything beyond this is not a need but a want, and society is generally geared up to make us think that we need many things to be happy when in reality we dont.......not that there is anything wrong in having many things and a big bank balance, but these things need to be balanced so that enough time is left for what really matters and thats the family.

Anyway just my thought in general.
Good thought
Old 18-12-2014, 05:31 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

We finished work two years ago.
Bought a canalboat in UK and spend 6 months a year living 9n the canals in uk summer and come home for Oz summer.
House is house sat while we are away.
Only taxes and death to pay for so we can please ourselves how we occupy our time.