Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegacrux View Post
I highly recommend a Star Adventure , easy to use and set up , mine is on a survey tripod , cheap as chips & solid , using mine at 80mm f4 picks up galaxies , happy as with it

David
When I get it will try it on my Slik PRO 700DX. This may sound silly but I do live in a fairly toxic environment. How well sealed are the electronics in the S.A.?
Old 09-10-2017, 07:11 AM
omegacrux (David)

I don't know how well they are sealed , none of my astro gear goes out on dodgey night
I'd hope they are sealed for dew

David
Old 09-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegacrux View Post
I don't know how well they are sealed , none of my astro gear goes out on dodgey night
I'd hope they are sealed for dew

David
Same here. The problem in the Philippines is that there are roughly 80 million people cooking with wood and or charcoal. It's our atmosphere that's toxic. I had a computer whose mother board rusted out.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I've wondered about this lens too.
Actually it is pretty fast at 6.3. The ED 80 is 7.5, and this is a flat-field lens too.
I'm not sure how I would mount it to get it truly stable though. I don't think the mounting foot would be ideal, even though it is used on tripods, but that would be at a higher shutter speed that would thwart vibrations. There's an obvious spot at the rear for a mounting ring where the supplied 'foot' attaches. But toward the fron, only the spot between the zoom and focus rings, which would need a thin ring to avoid the mode buttons there. But doable with some thought put into it.
Optical construction is ok: "...three LD (Low Dispersion) lens elements which completely eliminate axial and transverse chromatic aberrations. It also features upgraded optical construction (21 elements in 13 groups). Anti-reflection technologies, eBAND (Extended Bandwidth & Angular-Dependency) Coating and BBAR (Broad-Band Anti-Reflection) Coating improve light transmission and suppress internal reflections, including light reflected off the camera’s image sensors."

I have also wondered about the 500/600mm Samyang mirror lenses, but they may not have the resolution you'd get from a good scope.

Trev
the lens is highly recommended for terrestrial. My thought was to use it in the bottom 2/3rds of the zoom.