Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 11-07-2018, 12:30 AM
Dave_H (Dave)

CCD camera repairs (Camera on fire!)

I'm curious to know the experience of people in getting CCD cameras repaired.

I have a CCD camera (I will not disclose the brand at this time, other than it is a well-respected brand) which failed. The Australian agent directed me to send it direct to the US for repair. While a fault was apparently found, upon return it never powered up - the fuse blowing. So I sent it back to the US for repair a 2nd time ($300 for return postage each time...). Response. Fuse blown - nothing else. This time when I powered up the first time, the fuse blew. The repaired had supplied extra fuses, so I inserted one of those. This time the fuse did not blow. Rather the camera caught fire! [Who has ever heard of a CCD camera catching fire!]

Having spent ~$1000, I am now in a tussle in trying to get the camera properly repaired - with the Australian agent denying any agency responsibilities. And the camera people in the US have become rather quiet. Exceedingly frustrating.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear from others about any experiences (good or bad) in getting CCD cameras repaired.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:36 PM
billdan (Bill)

Well that's a bit slack of the repairer not testing the camera properly. If the fuse keeps blowing its obvious there is short circuit somewhere inside the camera. (Or a problem with your power pack that's supplying power to the camera).

Unfortunately there are no 3rd party repair agents for CCD camera that I am aware of. So you would have to send it back to the U.S. again and stress to them to test it properly.

My only experience with CCD repairs, was when I sent my QHY12 back to China for repair, the turn around was quick (3 weeks), and the price was reasonable.

Short circuits are usually easy to find, so maybe a local TV/Electronics tech could find the short and repair it for you.

Cheers
Bill
Old 11-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Imme (Jon)

Have you checked supply voltage on the power supply.....if not it may be worthwhile
Old 11-07-2018, 01:25 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I'm embarrassed to say that I've done exactly what Jon above is alluding to. Accidentally plugged 24V power for my mount into my 12V camera - POP and puff of smoke. Sent to manuf (QSI), they repaired and it's been fine ever since, provided I plug the right voltage into it!

Worth checking - need to consider what's different at the end they're testing and what you're experiencing. Same camera, could there be an issue with your local environment?
Old 11-07-2018, 01:35 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
I'm embarrassed to say that I've done exactly what Jon above is alluding to. Accidentally plugged 24V power for my mount into my 12V camera - POP and puff of smoke. Sent to manuf (QSI), they repaired and it's been fine ever since, provided I plug the right voltage into it!

Worth checking - need to consider what's different at the end they're testing and what you're experiencing. Same camera, could there be an issue with your local environment?
.....easy to do
Old 11-07-2018, 04:00 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
.....easy to do
And an expensive lesson to label cables
Old 11-07-2018, 04:26 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

After blowing the fuse a second time it was a real bad idea to replace it and try again methink... It already pointed to a power input problem. That's what the fuse is there for.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

After a couple of years, and after a very heavy dewy night my Lodestar just stopped working.
Contacted Starlight Xpress who suggested a couple of checks - still failed.
Sent it back to them for repair, from memory cost 15gbp plus post.....
No issues no drama since.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:57 PM
DJT (David)

I have sent back 3 different items to the same US repairer over the years including a large CCD which is a Massive day out in terms of shipping.

In all cases the repair guy has been very helpful, provided images of issues he found such as corrosion etc, with recommendations on what’s worth repairing or not, and shipping back in good order.

Couldn’t be faulted. Just a nuisance having to ship to USA. But given the cost of buying new it’s just one of those things.

Hope you resolve your issues. Maybe and the power supply with the CCD next time and ask them to check that?