Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 01-07-2018, 04:34 PM
speach (Simon)

need help in what to get

I want control my the observatory computer from in the house with the computer that's inside, getting to cold and uncomfortable out there, but being a computer idiot how can I do it? The distance will be under 10 meters so is a Ethernet cable good enough? And what software do I need to control the out side computer? I'm basically asking can it be done and how.
The other way I'm thinking of is to bring the outside computer in which controls the mount etc. I have four that I need Mount, camera, guider and mount over ride controller, (x-box controller) then use long USB cables, will they work over that distance with a powered hub? If so what is the best powered hub, as I've had mixed results with them
Old 01-07-2018, 05:00 PM
glend (Glen)

At that distance WiFi Teamviewer setups work well. I connect my Obs laptop to my house PC using Teamviewer (local connection), and it's free. It's secure, will stay connected all night if you want, and you can operate the Obs laptop from the comfort of the house. I run SGP on the Obs system and can watch everything from inside.
My Obs uses a MBeat 7 port powered hub, cabled to the Obs laptop usb3 port. The MBeat has a mix of 3 usb2 ports and 4 usb3 ports. My guide camera and filter wheel plug into the powered hub. The imaging camera runs to an Obs laptop usb3 port directly via a active (powered) usb3 cable extension.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Capella_Ben (Ben)

If you can run an ethernet cable then that is best. Less change of interference and changes in speed.

I use Tight VNC, but teamviewer will work well as well. If you have windows 10 pro of your observatory, then you can use remote desktop, I think that is the best.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 AM
speach (Simon)

I've decided to go with an ethernet connection, now comes which type of cable cat 5e, cat6, cat7 shielded unshielded cross over or straight. Seems not as simple as I thought, just buy a cable plug it in and download the software
Thank you all for the advice

Last edited by speach; 02-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Cat5 or Cat 6 will do the job. Straight pin to pin connections.
I actually use the cable between the wireless router in the office to the PC in the observatory so I can then communicate using any of the laptops on the WiFi.
I also use TeamViewer to control the telescope/ cameras.
No issues, no drama.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:41 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Cat 5 through pvc pipe should be plenty and give you reliable connections, No mucking about with varying wifisignal strength or wifi bandwidth getting chocked with other wifi traffic (eg streaming vids on another device etc.) since wifi is nowhere near as fast as regular ethernet. Especially if you want to record via network.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM
speach (Simon)

thanks everyone
Old 20-07-2018, 10:43 AM
speach (Simon)

Well I've fail miserably trying to Ethernet my computers, so I'm going with Teamviwer. My pictures will be downloaded from the camera to the computer outside so I don't see that speed will be a problem but would like to hear what other users feel.