Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 20-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Mekon (Paul)

Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT GOTO mount

I have just installed my AZ EQ6 GT so far it looks and performs faultlessly. (Tonight will be the test if the clouds permit!) However I am stunned, shocked even, that such a modern, hi tech piece of gear connects to the world with a SERIAL PORT! Sure, I can use a USB/Serial adapter, but why is it there in the first place? How many decades has it been since you could buy a PC with a serial port?
Old 20-05-2015, 01:02 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Paul
Quote:
Sure, I can use a USB/Serial adapter, but why is it there in the first place?
It just works, rain hail or shine.
Anything down to a PIC can utilise it without having to worry about "how" to communicate, and no need for a manufacturer to continually upgrade drivers everytime Microslug updates their O/S and the old USB drivers die. How many USB devices do you currently own that will no longer work in the latest windoze etc????
I would hate for my mount to fall into that category.

Quote:
How many decades has it been since you could buy a PC with a serial port?
Bought 2 last year, and one also has a real parallel port on it as well.
They may not put a "physical connector" on the back panel for you, but there is a reasonable range of motherboards that have com and/or LPT jumpers on em. Just get a flylead and you are in business

Andrew
Old 20-05-2015, 01:38 PM
bugeater (Marty)

Where's the serial port on the AZ-EQ6? It it on the hand controller? Because if you get the right cable you plug straight into the mount with USB.
Old 20-05-2015, 01:46 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Legacy COMS port is very reliable but it is getting a touch out of date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
Where's the serial port on the AZ-EQ6? It it on the hand controller? Because if you get the right cable you plug straight into the mount with USB.
Theres an included cable that connects to the AUX port of the hand controller. This allows you to update firmware and use PC direct mode/EQMod
Old 20-05-2015, 02:07 PM
bugeater (Marty)

Ah yes I remember. I used it once to update the firmware using an ancient laptop with a serial port and haven't looked at it since.
Old 21-05-2015, 08:22 AM
lineout

Personally I wouldn't be that concenred. Serial is a proven technology without all the hassle of comms protocols. Adaptors are cheap and plentiful.
Old 21-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

No need to be alarmed, the supplied serial cable connects to the hand controller so that you can update the hand controller firmware and motor controller firmware.

Controlling the mount via PC is done using a cable which connects from the hand controller port (the one on the mount) to a PC USB port. Although this cable uses serial comms to the communicate with the mounts hardware, this has absolutely no impact on the performance or functionality of the mount.

From a manufacturer perspective, it makes sense to use serial since it's considered the "lowest common denominator" when interfacing with a computer, regardless of operating system.
Old 21-05-2015, 11:52 PM
frolinmod

If you want to, you can purchase an FTDI USB to 3.3V TTL cable, slap an RJ45 plug on it and use it with EQMOD to bypass the handset. Very clean looking direct connection cable. The AZ-EQ6 is 3.3V TTL, but it's 5V tolerant so you can also use a 5V TTL cable like you might use with an old EQ6, just with a different connector.