ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2009, 06:50 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review: Skywatcher 10" dobsonian

Anthony S has written a review of the Skywatcher 10" dobsonian.

You can read the review at the IceInSpace Reviews page, or directly by clicking on the link below:

Skywatcher 10" dobsonian

Thanks to Anthony for writing the review. If you'd like to contribute a review or other content to IceInSpace, please contact us.

Last edited by iceman; 01-04-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review uploaded
Old 28-04-2009, 05:26 PM
ColHut (Colin)

Thanks for the review. If you get a chance maybe you could say a bit more about what works and what does not. How does it move?

cheers
Old 18-01-2010, 07:46 PM
jadeia (Adam)

Just bought a 254mm/10" Dob last week and have had a blast learning how to use it.

Construction of the mount was pretty straight forward, took me around 20 mins.

I also bought a barlow lens with it, and having never used a scope before, waited patiently for some time after nightfall and then opened it up.

Very impressed with the results, though the seeing conditions were not great, and no moon in sight at the moment, I was able to find Mars pretty quickly.

Looking forward to learning how to view Nebulae and other objects - and also for taking a close look at the moon for the first time when it comes back.

My Dob cost me around $1000 with everything included - would highly recommend it for a beginner.
Old 18-01-2010, 10:53 PM
astro_nutt

I own the Saxon version !0" dob and find it a very capable scope. Ive made a few mods for it. A triangular booster box to lift the scope an extra 200mm higher to save my back. Repalced the finder with a right angled unit. I coated the exposed particleboard sections of the base with some silicone sealant and allow to dry before assembly. I polished the laminate surfaces with a high quality car wax, the pressure surface which contacts the teflon pads on the azimuth part I rubbed dry soap over it and it does make it smoother.
I find it a very easy scope to collimate and a joy to use!
Old 27-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Caerwen (Lee-Anne)

8" Collapsible Dobsonian

Hi all, I received a Sky-Watcher 8" collapsible Dobsonian for Christmas. A lovely gift and easy to use. However, I am taller than it by a goodly way and, as such, am fast developing Astronomer's stoop (my name for the back condition the last two nights have brought into being). Will this scope be capable of taking a diagonal adaptor? Or will I need to build (or get the hubby to build) a box for the scope to sit on? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Old 27-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Stu Ward

Best bit of advice I can give is to get an observing chair. Much more comfortable longer sessions can be had
Old 27-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Liz

Hi Lee-anne.
yes, an observing chair or gaslift chair is a great idea.
I had an 8" Dob for many years - didnt use a chair at that stage, and put scope on a sturdy box about 20 cm high.
enjoy the scope!!
Old 28-12-2010, 12:47 PM
bobson (Bob)

Adam,

You dont have to wait till new Moon to see it. This morning I got up around 4.15 am and looked at Moon, Saturn and Venus. They looked great cos the air is cold and clear in the morning.

From early evening you simply can't miss Jupiter. Look up and you'll see it
A bit later, maybe around 9.30 pm on, look right and you will see the greatest nebula of them all Great Orion nebula ( M42). Also Tuk 47 (NGC 104 Globular cluster) is great from home polluted sky.

cheers

bob

Last edited by bobson; 28-12-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 29-12-2010, 06:04 PM
robz (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerwen View Post
Hi all, I received a Sky-Watcher 8" collapsible Dobsonian for Christmas. A lovely gift and easy to use. However, I am taller than it by a goodly way and, as such, am fast developing Astronomer's stoop (my name for the back condition the last two nights have brought into being). Will this scope be capable of taking a diagonal adaptor? Or will I need to build (or get the hubby to build) a box for the scope to sit on? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.
Hi Lee-Anne.
You're not by chance a freind of Sue Welsh are you???
Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 PM
PeteMo (Pete)
Bagdad astro nut

Great Review Anthony.
I've had my 10" SkyWatcher DOB for over 3 years now and love it. Have been meaning to get another review out there, so will try and get it done. M42 is also one of my fave targets.
Cheers
Pete
Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 PM
billybear (BILLY)
billy

A great review Anthony, I inherited this telescope from my daughter and it doesn't seem quite 'right'. I read something about calibrating it and wondered if you or anyone else has had to do this with this model? Thanks
Billy
Old 06-05-2015, 06:54 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Hi Billy, every newtonian has to be collimbrated:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-390-0-0-1-0.html

Old 02-07-2018, 10:17 PM
Jonatan (JonatanSutrisna)
Jonatan

Hi Anthony. Thanks for the review. I use the HoTech colliminator. It's easier & more accurate (but more expensive 🤒 &#129301. Have you ever tried to compare the images inside - outside focus? They should be the same. Otherwise some mirror problems.