Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 04-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Marke (Mark)

bright object last night

Did any one else see a bight object high S -SE around 10 last night ? I cant figure out what it was . Very bright white, at first I thought a plane but it didnt move then it slowly faded after several seconds and completely disappeared I think i could see a little ring of smoke left behind. Now im thinking possibly a meteor coming head on as the likely suspect as a min later a bright meteor flashed across the sky from east to west .
Old 04-12-2018, 12:37 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Mark
I was out imaging M42 last night and while waiting for my captures I maximised Stellarium in the Laptop and saw an object moving to the south east , clicked on it and was a large satellite
That was maybe what you saw ?
When I do a nights imaging there’s always “stuff” flying past the camera’s field of view throughout the night
Cheers
Martin
Old 04-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Mark
I was out imaging M42 last night and while waiting for my captures I maximised Stellarium in the Laptop and saw an object moving to the south east , clicked on it and was a large satellite
That was maybe what you saw ?
When I do a nights imaging there’s always “stuff” flying past the camera’s field of view throughout the night
Cheers
Martin
I thought the same at first and watched and waited for it to move but it didnt that was the strange thing . expected it to move and after it was gone I am sure i could just make out a smoke ring I even thought a flare of some sort .
Old 04-12-2018, 01:15 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
Did any one else see a bight object high S -SE around 10 last night ? I cant figure out what it was . Very bright white, at first I thought a plane but it didnt move then it slowly faded after several seconds and completely disappeared I think i could see a little ring of smoke left behind. Now im thinking possibly a meteor coming head on as the likely suspect as a min later a bright meteor flashed across the sky from east to west .
Saw it too whilst looking at lovely Gamma and Epsilon Volantis doubles.Very bright..followed a very distinct slow path SSE...Satellite!
bigjoe
Old 04-12-2018, 01:21 PM
Marke (Mark)

interesting as I watched for several min and only saw it go from very bright to nothing and barely move
Old 04-12-2018, 02:08 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
interesting as I watched for several min and only saw it go from very bright to nothing and barely move
Mark..
You prob caught it at a different time than I ..just saw it for a minute then packed up..was interesting though.
bigjoe.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

My wild guess is a hot-air balloon. Bright when the flame is going, slow moving and from a distance, the balloon may look like a smoke ring when not lit.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Wavytone

More likely kids released hot-air balloons consisting of a garbage bag with a tea candle suspended under. I’ve seen this over the Blue Mountains a few years ago.

Bloody reckless given the fire danger.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Marke (Mark)

Nah this was bright white and didn't long enough for balloon I'm thinking more like a slow meteor coming head on