Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 28-12-2017, 10:28 PM
tmz (Tim)

Newbie here!

Hey guys.
I bought/got a 8" very cheap from a mate with a bunch of gso plossls. Viewed the moon and jupiter, saturn.
Ended up getting 15x70 binos and have had a little look around. Turns out the telescope has bad pitting on the mirror so im keen on getting a 10" dob (collapsible if possible). I had a look at a second hand one the other day but had pitting on the mirror (he said it was only a few years old).
It was a saxon.

So my first is, saxon vs skywatcher? Which is better and what will last longer?
second question is, is there any good sales on right now?

Thanks in advance, t.
Old 28-12-2017, 10:31 PM
tmz (Tim)

Also, am i better of spending the extra and getting a second hand 8" SCT rather than a brand new 10" dob? Thanks guys
Old 28-12-2017, 11:27 PM
PCH (Paul)

Tim, stick with the dob, - the SCT needs a mount as well as the actual scope bit, so it will cost you more. And the dob will give better views AND be much easier to use.

Be a bit patient and just wait to see what comes up in the 'For Sale' section here. They come up all the time so you won't have long to wait.
Old 29-12-2017, 06:57 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Hey guys.
I bought/got a 8" very cheap from a mate with a bunch of gso plossls. Viewed the moon and jupiter, saturn.
Ended up getting 15x70 binos and have had a little look around. Turns out the telescope has bad pitting on the mirror so im keen on getting a 10" dob (collapsible if possible). I had a look at a second hand one the other day but had pitting on the mirror (he said it was only a few years old).
It was a saxon.

So my first is, saxon vs skywatcher? Which is better and what will last longer?
second question is, is there any good sales on right now?

Thanks in advance, t.
Hi Tim
welcome to IceInSpace
A little pitting should not make much difference to viewing.
Skywatcher and Saxon are very similar and related.
Skywatcher being the more expensive version.

I have heard it said that a dob mirror should last about 10 years if looked after before the mirror coating starts to deteriorate (recoating is possible).

Both saxon and skywatcher sell collapsible dobs, which are easy to set up and easy to transport and easy to use.
Other Dob models such as Meade Orion and GSO are more a demountable type, which take a bit longer to assemble, but are more flexible to transport (separate units).
GSO are cheaper, but many people swear by them.
Orion are generally a little better optically, but often a bit more expensive. Although occasionally you can pick up a good special at Bintel.

I have had 3 skywatcher Dobs, and I like them a lot and recommend them.
I have had several SCTs and I would (now) always recommend a Dob over an SCT for visual use. Bigger bang for buck and brighter image. (IMHO).

Hope this helps.
Old 29-12-2017, 08:28 AM
tmz (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Tim, stick with the dob, - the SCT needs a mount as well as the actual scope bit, so it will cost you more. And the dob will give better views AND be much easier to use.

Be a bit patient and just wait to see what comes up in the 'For Sale' section here. They come up all the time so you won't have long to wait.
Thanks for the reply! I was hoping places would have a boxing day sale of some sort on dobs, as i want to buy one brand new.
Old 29-12-2017, 08:35 AM
tmz (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Hi Tim
welcome to IceInSpace
A little pitting should not make much difference to viewing.
Skywatcher and Saxon are very similar and related.
Skywatcher being the more expensive version.

I have heard it said that a dob mirror should last about 10 years if looked after before the mirror coating starts to deteriorate (recoating is possible).

Both saxon and skywatcher sell collapsible dobs, which are easy to set up and easy to transport and easy to use.
Other Dob models such as Meade Orion and GSO are more a demountable type, which take a bit longer to assemble, but are more flexible to transport (separate units).
GSO are cheaper, but many people swear by them.
Orion are generally a little better optically, but often a bit more expensive. Although occasionally you can pick up a good special at Bintel.

I have had 3 skywatcher Dobs, and I like them a lot and recommend them.
I have had several SCTs and I would (now) always recommend a Dob over an SCT for visual use. Bigger bang for buck and brighter image. (IMHO).

Hope this helps.
Thanks Allan!
I thought the pitting on my 8" mirror was just dust, and thought the whole thing was dusty, so i followed a youtube video on how to clean it carefully although as soon as i pulled the mirror out i knew its days were over. The coating is pretty worn out. It looks as if it has a big layer of dust on it but its not dusty.
Thanks for the info, defiently keen on the skywatcher or saxon collapsible.

Also - the GSO plossls i own have, some have a green tinge on the EP. I have read this can be from oil from eyelashes? They still seemed to work okay on my 8". Will these be okay to use on a 10"? Or should i look at upgrading? I dont really want to spend a fortune on a televue yet.
I have these GSO EPs, 25mm, 15mm, 9mm, 6mm
Old 29-12-2017, 11:10 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome.
Perhaps consider a new coating.
Alex
Old 29-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Thanks Allan!
I thought the pitting on my 8" mirror was just dust, and thought the whole thing was dusty, so i followed a youtube video on how to clean it carefully although as soon as i pulled the mirror out i knew its days were over. The coating is pretty worn out. It looks as if it has a big layer of dust on it but its not dusty.
Thanks for the info, defiently keen on the skywatcher or saxon collapsible.

Also - the GSO plossls i own have, some have a green tinge on the EP. I have read this can be from oil from eyelashes? They still seemed to work okay on my 8". Will these be okay to use on a 10"? Or should i look at upgrading? I dont really want to spend a fortune on a televue yet.
I have these GSO EPs, 25mm, 15mm, 9mm, 6mm
Thanks Tim.
That's a good range of plossls you have there. They should serve you well for the 8 and the 10".
I might be tempted to add one of about 32mm for those bigger targets.
I would try to clean the eps you have before spending any more on new ones. Also try to get to a local observing session where you may be able to try some other eps to see if the difference is worth it for you.
Regards
Old 29-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Malcolm

Check out this place in Sydney, currently closed for holidays though.
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/optical-telescopes
Old 30-12-2017, 12:35 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Welcome Tim .
Try and join one of the Astro Clubs around Sydney ..for tips and viewing sessions, through all kinds of scope you may aspire to own one day.
EG:http://www.wsaag.org or http://www.sasi.net.au
bigjoe
Old 30-12-2017, 06:18 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Tim and welcome from me as well .

On the pitting I would not fret over it so just use and enjoy the scope for now , as you said you have looked at the moon , Jupiter and such so it must be performing ok .

Over the years I have owned and looked through some pretty bad condition optics and the views were all good so just use and enjoy .

The marks on the eyepieces will clean off with a little optics cleaner from any camera shop but just dont put to much on as you dont want liquid getting between the intervidual lense's of the eyepiece , just a tiny amount on a sterile clean bit of cotton .
The coatings on these are quite tough .

Brian.
Old 30-12-2017, 09:14 PM
tmz (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Welcome.
Perhaps consider a new coating.
Alex
Thanks Alex! I thought re-coating was expensive? I'd prefer something new if i go down the dob track (which i most likely will)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Thanks Tim.
That's a good range of plossls you have there. They should serve you well for the 8 and the 10".
I might be tempted to add one of about 32mm for those bigger targets.
I would try to clean the eps you have before spending any more on new ones. Also try to get to a local observing session where you may be able to try some other eps to see if the difference is worth it for you.
Regards
Awesome, i wasnt sure if the EP were compatible in the larger dob (although they take the same size EP) ill defiently give them a clean, and hopefully check out other EPs, thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Check out this place in Sydney, currently closed for holidays though.
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/optical-telescopes
Hey Malcolm, thank you for the reply, i found a few of the same scopes im after cheaper on other sites, although not sure how well the sites rate. Am i allowed to post them here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Welcome Tim .
Try and join one of the Astro Clubs around Sydney ..for tips and viewing sessions, through all kinds of scope you may aspire to own one day.
EG:http://www.wsaag.org or http://www.sasi.net.au
bigjoe
Hey Joe, thank you for the links! Ill defiently have to check them out and try to make it out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Hi Tim and welcome from me as well .

On the pitting I would not fret over it so just use and enjoy the scope for now , as you said you have looked at the moon , Jupiter and such so it must be performing ok .

Over the years I have owned and looked through some pretty bad condition optics and the views were all good so just use and enjoy .

The marks on the eyepieces will clean off with a little optics cleaner from any camera shop but just dont put to much on as you dont want liquid getting between the intervidual lense's of the eyepiece , just a tiny amount on a sterile clean bit of cotton .
The coatings on these are quite tough .

Brian.
Cheers Brian, the scope i have right now is actually quite bad and the mirror actually looks hardly reflective. The scope has shown me some things, but i had a look through a friends 8" dob which was much clearer. Thank you, i will have to invest in some cleaner.

Thank you all for the information & help. Much appreciated, and a massive thanks for making me feel welcome!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:56 PM
tmz (Tim)

Just realized i ripped off someone elses thread title, must have been in my head haha.

Does anyone know if Bintel price match or should i buy online? (Not sure if i can post the sites?)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:14 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Just realized i ripped off someone elses thread title, must have been in my head haha.

Does anyone know if Bintel price match or should i buy online? (Not sure if i can post the sites?)
Tmz.. Ive walked into Bintel to find their prices are often lower than Andrews..viz C9 1/4 some refractors, viz celestron etc , and they WILL listen.
bigjoe.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:09 AM
tmz (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Tmz.. Ive walked into Bintel to find their prices are often lower than Andrews..viz C9 1/4 some refractors, viz celestron etc , and they WILL listen.
bigjoe.
Thanks Joe, ill make the trip in. Cheers
Old 03-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Tim, I will second what Joe mentioned, I’m a newbie as well and have purchased all my equipment at Bintel ( speak to Don he has over 40 years experience and can steer you in the right direction ) Sometimes saving a few bucks on line etc. is not the answer , you cannot replace experience especially with Astronomical equipment.

Martin

PS : I have no affiliation with any astronomical manufacturer, supplier or retailer
Old 03-01-2018, 02:15 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Tim,

I have found Bintel and Andrews really easy and helpful to deal with.

In particular the guys at Bintel are really helpful and have suggested things and items I would never have worked out myself ( me newbie). Don is really helpful and could spend the day talking about astro stuff that is above my head

I agree with Martin that you cannot replace local experience with online prices. I have gotten just as much out of the transactions as they do.

m11
Old 02-03-2018, 10:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
<a>hello</a>
hello
Hello Christopher
Welcome.
Tell us about your interest and equipment.
Alex
Old 03-03-2018, 01:21 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
<a>hello</a>
hello
Welcome from one newbie to another
Old 09-03-2018, 08:54 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Welcome to the IISpace forum. I have found the help from some of the people to be invaluable to nut out some of those questions and situations that prove to be a bit stubborn! it can be a great place to learn.