Old 17-02-2018, 09:46 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Derku , right here in the ' Beginners Equipment Discussions ' ,
go for it as I for one will be very interested in your journey .

Great starter scope by the way it will give you sweet views for years to come .

Also , don't be afraid to ask lots of Q's '

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derku View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum and astronomy in general. I have a skywatcher 150/750 reflector on an eq3 mount. I would like to start a blog to share my experience as I go along - which sub-category of this forum would be appropriate?

Cheers,
derku
Old 20-02-2018, 10:20 AM
breadfan

I'm embarking on getting autoguiding up and running and I'm trying to attach a guide scope to my main scope.

I'm using Losmandy DVR108 rings fitted to a spare dovetail bar which came with the main scope, presumably for this purpose. Thing is, there's no bolt for me to attach it to the main scope tube ring. There are 4 smaller bolts that screw adjacent the main hole that I can't see having any purpose. Is this normal? I can go and try to get the right one from Bunnies. Am I trying to mount it the wrong way maybe?

EDIT: Solved it. Turns out yes, I had to go and buy a bolt to do the job. I find it odd that they'll provide a spare dovetail bar but not a 25 cent bolt with the scope, but it seems like this is pretty normal across manufacturers. Getting the size of the bolt right was fairly easy, getting the right length was a bit more of a pain (grabbed a few different lengths and got one that was right). Fortunately no drilling required which I understand can be common - helps that the dovetail plate was matched for the scope I guess!

Last edited by breadfan; 28-02-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:04 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

I have been in to part of astronomy all my life and glad to join this forum my name is Richard ,i have had a lot of different telescopes Dobs, SCT, MCT and some fine refractors all had their special time with me, I am semi Retired now
Old 01-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkonrad View Post
I have been in to part of astronomy all my life and glad to join this forum my name is Richard ,i have had a lot of different telescopes Dobs, SCT, MCT and some fine refractors all had their special time with me, I am semi Retired now
Hello Richard
Welcome to the forums, I hope that you can add your wisdom and knowledge to discussions and learn from all the other forum members if you have a question. You seem to have plenty of choice in your equipment for particular types of observing and / or imaging.

Jeff
Old 02-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Cellmend (Justin)

Hi Guys

Hi guys thanks for letting me join your community.i have been interested in astronomy since I was a child I've owned a couple scopes in my time and now I'm back in the game planning to go down the path of photography. I hope to use the knowledge of all the info everyone here can give me on my quest for DSO pics I can call my own.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:10 AM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Welcome Justin
Old 25-03-2018, 05:13 PM
N5SE (Sal)
33.8 S, 151.1 E

Cool forum, looking forward to starting in astronomy.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:49 AM
davidmcbain

Greetings

Hi
My name is David and I'm just introducing myself as a new member. I have a TSA120 on a Nova Hitch Mk2 mount which I absolutely love. However, living in Melbourne, I don't get to use it very often.
Cheers
Old 11-04-2018, 10:44 AM
joe23

I've joined this forum for few weeks now, hoped not too late for me to say "Hi".
Old 20-04-2018, 10:06 AM
ghusko (Gordon)

Hello peeps

Just getting into Astronomy, been wanting to ever since we moved away from the grind and a more rural setting in Glenorie...far Nth West Sydney, acquired a Meade LX90 UHTC 8", looking to get into some photography when the budget allows it.

Anyways hello to all, I have a few questions will look for the appropriate threads to post in.

Cheers Gordo.
Old 22-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Jackstar

Hi all

It’s about time I said hi,joined back around Christmas time.
I got a 10” skywatcher GOTO having read lots of reviews etc.
What I noticed was that a scope like this seemed to be lurking around on many of the members lists of equipment that they own. Figured it would be worth having and it sure is great to look through.
A bit heavy and awkward to move around but I manage fine.
I then bought from the classifieds a set of skywatcher panorama eyepieces, the set of 3 in a case.
They are a pleasure to use. Last night I got the best view yet of Jupiter with the 15mm eyepiece.
I live just out of hobart in a nice dark spot called huonville.
Got a bit interested in astrophotography so I have just bought but not got yet a ES ED80, no mount yet.

So,Hi everyone

Jack
Old 02-05-2018, 04:53 PM
Sparksinspace (Steve)

Hi from perth

Hi everyone. Thanks for this awesome site. I'm just new to astronomy and love all the information on this site. Hopefully I will not ask too many stupid questions.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM
Peep (Rebecca Merrett)

New Astronomers in Sydney!

Hello! Just thought I'd share this if you're interested, and welcome to come observe and photograph with the Nth Sydney group some time if you're in town :-)
New astronomers and astrophotographers Group May 19th event and observation night: https://nsas.org.au/nag/
We'd love to meet other new astronomers in Sydney region!
Old 16-05-2018, 02:49 PM
IanD (Ian)

Greetings

Hi all, registered two days ago after long interest in astronomy.
Started as a kid with a copy of Norton's, and read every book on astronomy in the library. Had then, a very small refractor on home-made equatorial. In mid-life, a modest reflector on manual German Eq mount. Now retired on dark-sky property and indulging myself. Have built (2nd) roll-off observatory out of local stone. It houses Celestron Edge HD 8", on CGEM II mount. Been getting some ok images of DSO's with DSLR, but awaiting autoguiding gear to lengthen exposures.
Great web-site and community. Cheers IanD.
Old 16-05-2018, 03:58 PM
JA

^ Welcome to the forum Ian.
Join in the discussion and have fun.

Best
JA
Old 08-06-2018, 09:44 PM
JGaugia (Dave)
Dave 253

Hey all! I worked at astro optical during the fun years. Amateur astronomer since the late 70's, a career in rock music interfered. Now fully back into it.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Well fancy seeing you here , hello there buddy and .
Old 18-06-2018, 08:21 PM
ChrisDB (Chris)

Newbie Intro

Hi All,
I have been lurking for a while, soaking up as much information as I can on my new astronomy addiction from this forum, so thought I should probably introduce myself. I have had an interest since I was a kid. I bought a Newtonian from the Salvo's a while back, got hooked and am now the proud owner of an 8-inch Edge HD and EQ6 R Pro mount.
I am absolutely loving this adventure, and have just returned from my first dark sky outing at Warrumbungles National Park.
Really looking forward to benefiting from the extensive knowledge in this forum. Its been a big help so far!

Cheers!
Chris B
Old 19-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Chris,
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Hope you enjoy the journey.
If you like Dark Sky Camping trips, keep an eye on the "Star Parties...forum for our next trip to Bretti. Its closer than the Warrumbungles and a free camp.
Old 19-06-2018, 04:56 PM
ChrisDB (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Hi Chris,
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Hope you enjoy the journey.
If you like Dark Sky Camping trips, keep an eye on the "Star Parties...forum for our next trip to Bretti. Its closer than the Warrumbungles and a free camp.
Thanks Allan for the welcome
I will keep an eye out!

Chris B