Old 01-12-2016, 12:39 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

G,day. Click on "User CP" at top left, then scroll down to click on "Edit Options. Then scroll to "Thread options". It's there. Cheers Richard. Welcome.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:42 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

PS and "save the changes" at the bottom of page
Old 01-12-2016, 01:23 AM
pro.dev3

Thank you for that. Much better now
Old 13-12-2016, 02:41 PM
GSO

New user here and was just about to ask the same question re: post order - thanks!
Old 27-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Orionskies (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
G,day. Click on "User CP" at top left, then scroll down to click on "Edit Options. Then scroll to "Thread options". It's there. Cheers Richard. Welcome.
Thanks for this.

Orionskies
Old 02-01-2017, 11:34 PM
lehboy

Saying hi to everyone, been a long time member of this forum but first post here.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehboy View Post
Saying hi to everyone, been a long time member of this forum but first post here.
Hi lehboy, "belated" welcome
what equipment do you have / or intend getting?
where are you located?
Old 09-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Maru (Alessandro)

Hi Everybody!

Hi guys!
I'm new here, thanks for accepting me in your community!!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Hi guys!
Welcome Alessandro
Enjoy your time here.
Ask questions, tell us what you want to do.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Scorpius51 (John)
Star stuff observer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
Hi guys!
Welcome Alessandro

Enjoy the ride! They're a great bunch here and you will learn heaps.
Old 26-01-2017, 10:40 PM
samward (Sam)

Hi All,

Thought I would also introduce myself. I am Sam (yes I hate saying that ) from the northern suburbs of Perth.

As a young kid I use to look through my dads 4" reflector and be amazed at what I could see. Now as an adult with my own children, that interest it rekindling.

Like so many others here, I am trying to work out what telescope I should buy. On one hand I am more than happy with the idea of a 6" or 8" dob to reacquaint myself with the sky. But equally I know that I ultimately want to be able to photograph what I see (as someone who already does terrestrial photography). And with only a limited budget, it is a conundrum where to start.

I would appreciate people opinion on this one (have been looking at second hand listings, but as most of them are east coast shipping tends to kill the total price).

Cheers
Sam
Old 27-01-2017, 01:08 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Sam,
Welcome to IceInSpace

If you have a limited budget, as you say, I would not recommend going down the Astrophotography "Driveway of Debt" , just yet at least.
Especially if you have youngsters that you would like to involve in the hobby.

Astrophotography equipment normally involves polar alignment and equatorial mountings. From my experience, nothing will discourage a newcomer more than trying to observe through an equatorial mount.

My advice is to go with what you have heard, a Dobsonian, 8" or 10".
I lean towards the collapsible type (skywatcher). $600 or $900 respectivly.
If you have another lazy $900 you may consider the GoTo models.

Just my opinion (having not listened and tried almost every other system first myself)
Old 28-01-2017, 05:04 PM
samward (Sam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Hi Sam,
Welcome to IceInSpace

If you have a limited budget, as you say, I would not recommend going down the Astrophotography "Driveway of Debt" , just yet at least.

Astrophotography equipment normally involves polar alignment and equatorial mountings. From my experience, nothing will discourage a newcomer more than trying to observe through an equatorial mount.

Just my opinion (having not listened and tried almost every other system first myself)
Thanks Alan. I will investigate the Dobsonians further. Is it possible to add the GoTo system after the fact and/or does that just end up being an expensive way of doing things? (just thinking it would be a good way of helping the kids to see without as much frustration).

Cheers
Sam
Old 29-01-2017, 06:55 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by samward View Post
Thanks Alan. I will investigate the Dobsonians further. Is it possible to add the GoTo system after the fact and/or does that just end up being an expensive way of doing things? (just thinking it would be a good way of helping the kids to see without as much frustration).

Cheers
Sam
Computerised "Go-To" upgrade kits are available for Skywatcher collapsible DOBs (8" 10" 12" 14" 16" models). I don't know the prices, they are P.O.A. but I would imagine they would be around $1,000 upwards depending on the size.
So it would be a little more expensive, but not overly for what you get.

I would recommend the Skywatcher 10" collapsible model. Not too big, not too small. (In My Humble Opinion).
[Obviously the goto option makes the base heavier to move, at about 28kg I think]

And although they are not suitable for "Long Exposure" faint DSO imaging, they do have the unique ability to be able to attach a DSLR directly to the focus tube for quick (up to a few seconds?) photography. But I am yet to try this out myself.

Last edited by Allan_L; 29-01-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 29-01-2017, 01:37 PM
doppler (Rick)

If you start out with a 8" solid tube dob you can always buy tube rings and then mount the ota on a HEQ5 pro or similar mount if you decide to try a bit of astro photography later. Have a look on gumtree for telescopes under miscellaneous goods I've seen some WA bargains there.
Old 31-01-2017, 03:10 PM
samward (Sam)

Thanks Allan, Rick.

Yes I have been keeping an eye on gumtree, but it seems to be slim pickings at the moment (at least for what I am looking for).

Getting a solid tube dob, and putting it on an equatorial mount later is an interesting idea I will consider.

Cheers
Sam.
Old 31-01-2017, 04:18 PM
samward (Sam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samward View Post
Thanks Allan, Rick.
Yes I have been keeping an eye on gumtree, but it seems to be slim pickings at the moment (at least for what I am looking for).
Having just said that, a 12.5" meade starfinder has just been listed. Are these any good / is there anything I should watch out for with this particular scope?? (beyond the size and weight)

Cheers
Sam
Old 31-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Cerulean

Hi friends

New here, with a quick question. I live quite close to Melbourne (<5km from the CBD), would the light pollution make observations difficult?
Old 31-01-2017, 11:21 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
Hi Sam,
Welcome to IceInSpace

Hi Sam .Welcome.
Couldn't agree more with Allan's advice as I've been at it for 40yrs!!
bigjoe
Old 01-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Poz (Pauline)

Beginner to beginner advice for sam

Hey Sam,

It is a big conundrum to be in, viewing vs photography, for a beginner. I was gifted a 6" newtonian reflector and it had me seeing the planets, orion etc but it was only enough for a few months. During that time I opted for a standard camera mount and dslr which was again fine, until I wanted more than milky way shots and star trails.
I found that my thirst for more, for better quickly surpassed the capability of my equipment and I started researching what I could get for a reasonable budget. I'm still not there yet, but I invested in a 10" dobsonian for viewing purposes only. I've had the dob for a week and it is blowing my mind with the objects im seeing in great detail. I haven't tried mounting the dslr on it yet, I fear it will be too heavy, and probably too large - but I don't know and thats the fun of it.

The fun, yet frustrating part of a non-goto scope is being guided by your own eye and knowledge of the sky. I spent two nights looking for Carina Nebula (got there on night two) and came across a few more on the way (Beehive cluster, diamond cluster and the chicken man). I did wish at times I could just input what I wanted to see, but then i found it myself and it felt like an acheivement.

My advice is a non-goto dob with a pair of binoculars (keeps two kids busy at the one time and you can scan around for the next object) .Don't be afraid to go to a 10" or larger dob either. Im 5'4" female with hip problems and can carry the 10" around with ease. The only problem you might face is that your kids will need something to stand on to see through the eyepiece. And dont forget to include the cost of eyepieces in your budget!

My next part of advice is, regardless of kiddies, look at buying a solid mount like a skywatcher heq5 pro goto mount to stick your dslr onto and start with photographing the sky at night. Once you save your pennies you might be right to buy a decent little scope to sooth your astrophotography needs.

Cheers!
Poz