Old 18-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

hello noobies
Old 18-11-2014, 11:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome Ian your adventure starts..the universe will unfold for you..keep a log.
Old 15-12-2014, 12:18 AM
NCB (Neil)

Greetings,

another noob here, from Healesville Vic.

I've been doing a little bit of reading, but so far even some of the beginners section seems over my head!

I've always had a reasonably keen interest in viewng the night sky with the naked eye with memorable highlights being a sighting of Halley's comet as a young teen in '86 and I'm sure I remember seeing Skylab as a little tacker, but that could be a vivid imagination?

I have an older bro who used to be a mad keen amateur astronomer in Castlemaine, but I never did get around to spending much time using his gear or learning anything from him.

My interest has been sparked again by my 12 year old daughter and also finally having reasonable views of the stars for the last couple of years after 20 years in suburbia.

As is probably typical with some of us noobs, I'm keen to rush out and buy something in time for Christmas. I've been scouring the classifieds and e-bay/gumtree and also considering new options. I don't have a huge budget, but it sounds like a new 8inch dob from Bintel (or maybe Ozscopes?) would do me nicely. Or possibly even something a little bigger via the classifieds. I'm trying not to be too silly about it so have forced myself, over the last couple of weeks, to do a little bit of reading first!

I'm hoping to get down to the Mt Burnett Observatory for their last public viewing night for the year. I missed their last young observers night yesterday for my daughter, but I'll probably drag her along on the 30th.

Anyway, bit of a long post for my first. Basically just wanted to say Hi.

Regards

Neil
Old 15-12-2014, 05:31 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

HI Neil,
Welcome to IceInSpace
An 8" DOB is an ideal choice for a first scope.
10" even better if you can afford it.
Beyond that size weight and moveability become an issue.
The best scope for you is the scope you (and your daughter) will use more often, so ease of setup and transport is important.

Bintel is a great place to start your hobby.
People there are friendly and helpful.

If you can get to their Camperwell store, you can see and feel the scopes before you buy. This is a big plus.

Good luck with your purchase decision(s)
and keep asking questions

Cheers
Allan

Last edited by Allan_L; 15-12-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 15-12-2014, 08:55 AM
fothers (Australia)

Gday folks,
I'm new here and wanted to say hello. I'm very much a new face here, rekindling my interest in astronomy. I'm based in Sydney, and looking forward to learning from your experiences and hopefully adding my own.

fothers.
Old 15-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi fothers,
Welcome to IceInSpace
You have come to the right spot to do your rekindling...
plenty of bright sparks here to help.

You could start of with a Free Planetarium program ... Stellarium is a great free program that will help you find your way around the universe, and runs on various operating systems.
http://stellarium.org/

Good luck with your new hobby
Cheers
Allan
Old 21-12-2014, 01:51 PM
ariefm71 (Arief)

Hi

Hello All,

This is Arief, new face here as well. Just rekindled my interest in astronomy after 5 years of hiatus. Recently bought a second hand small fluorite refractor from Japan and had it tested on Jupiter last night. Saw three or four bands of the planet and its 4 moons. Looking forward to meet you guys for joint observations, etc. I'm based in Sydney.

clear skies!
Arief
Old 21-12-2014, 02:10 PM
ariefm71 (Arief)

I'd like to second this.

I went to Bintel yesterday to buy their skyview alt-az mount, bringing my vixen refractor. I asked Michael from Bintel if he can test my scope for collimation. He gladly mount the scope to a display altaz mount, used his 3-6mm Nagler zoom, and pointing it to a glint reflection on remote pole insulators. He was as excited as me seeing the perfectly concentric airy disks inside and outside focus of the scope.

The people at Bintel is as passionate with this hobby as any of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_L View Post
HI Neil,
Bintel is a great place to start your hobby.
People there are friendly and helpful.
Old 21-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Hubert

Hi folks

I'm Hubert. I have been dabbling in astronomy for a couple of years now and thought it was about time I joined a net community.

I have a Celestron 8SE, occasionally go to the AGWA meetings here in Perth (when work allows) and have recently joined the volunteer stalwarts at the Perth Observatory.

This looks to be a great forum
Old 21-12-2014, 09:19 PM
timpaton (Tim)

Hi IceInSpacers,

I'm Tim, a n00b who unexpectedly stumbled across an almost-free Celestron 114mm Newtonian telescope. As in, it was at the tip shop, sitting there on what I now know to be a Germanic Equatorial mount tripod, next to the mandatory pile of bikes and discarded exercise equipment. I'm sure there are plenty on this forum who will scoff at such a low-end instrument, but hey, the price was right...

I'm an automotive R&D engineer, and my wife is a chemistry/physics teacher, so we have a bit of the geek gene, which we have passed on to our 7yo daughter who is extremely keen to see what our new telescope can show.

The problem (and I assume a major part of how this instrument ended up at the tip) is that our 'scope has no eyepieces. That's my first mission - to get a lens to look through, re-align the mirrors (they look to be not very straight from looking down the eyepiece holder, but have adjustment screws easily accessible, and I'm pretty comfortable adjusting and hacking lab equipment), and get me a look at some sky.

We're in central Ballarat, which has darker skies than a big city, and obviously we can get out to the middle of nowhere pretty easily from here
Old 22-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Tim,

your question answered (and your welcome) on your other similar thread in the Eyepieces discussion forum:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...40#post1141840

Regards

Old 03-01-2015, 11:11 PM
woofermew

Hey all,

Watched Interstellar recently and really captured my imagination with the whole outta space thinking. Complete noob to all of this. I guess my question is where do I start for some amateur equipment and where is a good starting point for all of this.

Thanks all!
Old 10-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Puss.in.Books (Victor)

Hi All,

Bought my 1st 'scope over 10 years ago... A cheerful 6" newt & GEM from BATSC in Heidelberg Melbourne. However, the last few years saw use declining... While the equipment was good, usage was frustrating.

Anyway, I have now upgraded (by instalments) to a SW 100ED refractor and NEQ6 mount. Wow! How much easier to use - it's great to be able to sit in a chair comfortably and be able to put your head to the eyepiece!

Bought the refractor just after Xmas and have used it 3 times since. I find setting it up much easier than my old gear even though it weighs a lot more. Little things like having an OTA in a case with its accessories increase the convenience fact.

Very happy with the NEQ6 and I am able to setup and star align quite quickly, and once done objects stay in view and go to actions get the target in the eyepiece.

I feel I have a solid base now to keep me free of upgraditis for some time, although there are some gadgets I have my eye on.

Anyway, chees and good viewing!

...Victor
Old 10-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Woohooo hope you enjoy your new toy Victor I just recently got a SW ED80 and HEQ5 pro and I love it to bits

Last edited by Jen; 10-01-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Oooops
Old 10-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofermew View Post
Hey all,

Watched Interstellar recently and really captured my imagination with the whole outta space thinking. Complete noob to all of this. I guess my question is where do I start for some amateur equipment and where is a good starting point for all of this.

Thanks all!
Hi Woofermew,
Welcome to IceInSpace .
I think the lack of reply to your very general question, may be due to the lack of information you have provided.

We can be of more help if you let us know what area you are in.
What sort of investment you want to make.
What you hope to see.

Basically, first advice is to go to an informal viewing night to see what scopes are around and what you can see with them.

Mostly, a Dobsonian telescope is recommended as best value for money and ease of use, around 8" diameter is fairly inexpensive and easy to move around and set up.

Hope you continue with venture into astronomy.
Happy to help with any further questions.

For a freebie start, download Free planetarium software - Stellarium.
That might wet your appetite for what about in the skies.

http://stellarium.org/
Old 23-01-2015, 08:45 AM
woofermew

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the response. Downloading stellarium right now to check it out.
Sorry my post was a little brief.

I'm in the Ryde area in Sydney NSW and really on a tight budget. Would something in the 200 range get you anything decent?

Where do these informal nights take place?
Old 24-01-2015, 06:22 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofermew View Post
Hi Allan,

Thanks for the response. Downloading stellarium right now to check it out.
Sorry my post was a little brief.

I'm in the Ryde area in Sydney NSW and really on a tight budget. Would something in the 200 range get you anything decent?

Where do these informal nights take place?
For informal observing sessions around Sydney, check out the Star Parties... forum. There are regular sessions at Katoomba, and Mangrove Mountain, to name the main

For new, I think $399 is about the best bargain priced I can see, being a 6" GSO Dobsonian. For your $200, you may pick up a second hand unit, but it is probably best to try to save for a while longer.
Old 20-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Birdarth (Arthur)
Mr

Greetings Earthlings

Hello Everyone.

My name is Arthur, First time here. I just moved to WA about 6 months ago so still getting a feel for this country. I am a beginner in astronomy and am looking to branch more into the field. I live in the Gingin Township and have visited the Gingin Observatory out this way as well. Still tracking down other places to visit. I use to work as the solar astronomy guide at Carter Observatory for awhile and a member of the Phoenix Astronomical Society and Lake Rotoma Astronomical Society. I am currently into my 3rd year of my Phd in Geology focusing on tectonic plate movements and Geological formation.
Old 21-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Arthur and welcome to a fellow Geologist. You should be in your element in W.A. some of the oldest formations on earth over there.
Old 21-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Birdarth (Arthur)
Mr

Gotta Love It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Hi Arthur and welcome to a fellow Geologist. You should be in your element in W.A. some of the oldest formations on earth over there.
Thank you Ric. I have found WA to be the most exhilarating location for geological history and as you said houses some of the most oldest formations on the planet. The academic opportunities far exceed my own expectations of the area with its prehistoric jewels and the tectonic mysteries of the darling fault line. The geological outcrops alone baffles me however I continue to look forward to exploring more of Western Australias hidden treasures along with exploring the southern night sky and its hidden secrets.