Old 20-01-2016, 01:14 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Question thinking out loud on mixing filter sizes

Hi,

I currently have my cls-ccd, and NB filters in 2" mounted format. I use the teleskop 2" filter draw to change filters - each filter has its own slider draw for convenience (filters are difficult to unscrew and screw in - plus it is then consistent each time I use them .. think flats).

I like this setup as the camera etc hangs quite a distance from the tube and helps with reducing flexure.

I'm now looking at buying RGB filters, it turns out that the TS filter sliders are out of stock till half way through May http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...k-Changer.html so I probably wouldn't receive them till June.

Should I buy 2" RGB and suck it up till the middle of the year, or buy the 36mm RGB filters and filter slider with http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...low-profi.html (plus a 5mm spacer to compensate)?

The total cost will end up being about the same either way. On one hand I am not a fan of removing and putting the filter draw system into the imaging train each time I switch to rgb (as I have a variable spacer in the middle) but then again, changing the filters in the sliders everytime will be super fiddly (finger marks etc) infact I tried to take one out the other day and couldn't.

And really how many clear nights will there be between now and the end of the middle of the year ??

Anyway, thinking out loud interested in people's views.

Russ
Old 20-01-2016, 02:46 PM
pdalek (Patrick)

i could loan you a few sliders for the 2"/1.25" version until you can order new ones.

When you buy when back in stock, get the 1.25 size - the adapter unscrews to give 2" and the price is the same. I intend modifying a few adapters to hold 36mm unmounted filters.
Old 20-01-2016, 03:33 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdalek View Post
i could loan you a few sliders for the 2"/1.25" version until you can order new ones.

When you buy when back in stock, get the 1.25 size - the adapter unscrews to give 2" and the price is the same. I intend modifying a few adapters to hold 36mm unmounted filters.
Hi Patrick,

That is a kind offer, so you are saying that the 1.25" size can also be used by 2" filters? If so, is it then 2" clear or a 1.25" hole?

Thanks

Russ
Old 20-01-2016, 03:35 PM
glend (Glen)

I can't visualise how your filter system is used or mounted, which of those cameras are you using it with? I use the TS 36mm filter drawer with the TS EOS filter drawer system for my mono Canon DSLR, and it works just fine, no vignetting. The 36mm size suits the APS-C sensor size, I dont' know how it would work with larger sensors but suspect you would need the 50mm drawer. Be aware that these drawers take unmounted filters.
Also be aware that 'some' T-adaptors screwing into the filter drawer may intrude to far into the drawer slide area and need to be spaced outward with a S/S spacer ring which TS can provide as well.
Old 20-01-2016, 03:45 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I can't visualise how your filter system is used or mounted, which of those cameras are you using it with? I use the 36mm filter drawer with my EOS filter drawer system for my mono Canon DSLR, and it works just fine, no vignetting. The 36mm size suits the APS-C sensor size, I dont' know how it would work with larger sensors but suspect you would need the 50mm drawer. Be aware that these drawers take unmounted filters.
thanks for the input Glen, I've already got the 2" for my ccd cls and Ha, Oiii and S2. the 36mm are unmounted and therefore is 5mm thinner than the 1.25 and 2" drawer which are mounted. I also used these for my dslr prior to getting the qhy22.

but that extra fiddling around is probably going to be a bit more annoying to use especially with varilock I have in the train.. the sensor is a lot smaller than aps-c but I don't think going to 1.25 is doable. so leaning toward waiting till June and unscrewing-screwing filter in/out everytime and hoping there isn't many galaxies to image.

don't judge my cable management
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4229.JPG)
129.3 KB20 views
Old 20-01-2016, 03:52 PM
pdalek (Patrick)

The 1.25" slider is a 2" slider with an additional 2" to 1.25" adapter.
See attached photo.
These adapters can be bought as a separate item but are included in the price of the 1.25 slider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20160120_164331.jpg)
204.6 KB11 views
Old 21-01-2016, 09:47 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

PM sent