Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 07-11-2010, 12:53 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Philips SPC880NC. Is this Really a Philips item?

Hi all. I have been reading and have ordered the SPC880NC from the Morgans Web Site. The interesting thing is that I have been able to find all sorts of infor on this product and how to flash them etc etc. However if you do a search on the philips web site you will find no ref to this product at all???? I have tried the Global site as well as some of the European Sites, but find nothing... Is this some generic item out of the land of cheap stuff or is this a genuine Philips product... Not that I care a great deal if it works and emulates the 900c, but it was just somthing that I noticed....

Seeing stars
Mardy
Old 07-11-2010, 06:03 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I think the SPC and the toucam favored by many planetary imagers have been out of production for quite some time.
What is left are runnouts, not sure about the Morgan's which suggest new stock but i think they too are leftovers.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Lurkingpom (Mick)

I understand the 880 was part of a computer bundle, so just supplied in a plain box, think the astro crowd surprised Morgans and these have been selling like hot cakes and enabled Morgans to up the price, supply nosepiece, filter and now will flash to 900 spec.

Camera looks and acts just like our old 900, just the buttons on the side missing (allowed single shots using the vlounge software)
Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 AM
firstlight (Tony)
You can't have everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkingpom View Post
I understand the 880 was part of a computer bundle, so just supplied in a plain box, think the astro crowd surprised Morgans and these have been selling like hot cakes and enabled Morgans to up the price, supply nosepiece, filter and now will flash to 900 spec.

Camera looks and acts just like our old 900, just the buttons on the side missing (allowed single shots using the vlounge software)
And if you pull off the silver disks on the side of the camera, you will find the buttons are still there. Funny isn't it, the lower models of electronic gear seem to be exactly the same as the upper ones, just some of the functions have been disabled (in this case hidden)... I seem to remember something like this in regards to cpu's.

I'm not surprised that you can't find info in the Phillips website... pretty useless. Couldn't find drivers and software for the 900 unless I used a link in another thread. One thing certain... good cam,era and good value... I bought 2!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 AM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Thanks all. The bundled idea seems to make sense... I have not received mine as yet but sounds like it will be good. I already have an early Toucam 840 that I have modded but thought this new one would make a good spare. The price was too good to not purchase.. Don't really need it, but at the price could just not purchase it

Seeing Stars
Mardy