Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-11-2014, 04:38 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Rosetta and Philae's Findings

It is great to see some images and the preliminary science observations from the surface of the comet, with a geological summary from ESA.
Basically the lander is looking at the desiccated "Mud" on the comets surface !
Old 16-11-2014, 06:31 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I look forward to hearing what the various experiments have to say about the geology of the comet but I don't think they've released much just yet.

That "Geological Summary" is just a comment under the ESA picture by somebody interpreting the heavily compressed images that have been released. The raw images won't be released until the science teams have had a chance to work through all the data they've got and they've published their results.

I thought that the bright stuff in that image looked just like ice but the image has so many compression artifacts that those 'ice' features could literally just be due to the compression.

P.S. the MUPUS team did release a short statement about some of the physical properties which I'll paste here:

Quote:
First off: some reported MUPUS results as found in media are wrong. They never asked us.

MUPUS TM worked fine throughout the whole timeline and sees a very cold steep wall in front of us. TM sees clear diurnal temperature signal. Around local noon direct sunlight on that wall caused a steep temperature increase and also steep temperature drop shortly after. Data indicate low thermal diffusivity and fluffy substance.

The anchors still below Philae in shadow see the diurnal heat wave as well and at the same time as TM and the solar panels.

Penetrator was deployed to the commanded distance. Remember that device had not been switched on since 2002. Temperature inside PEN dropped significantly compared to status before deployment.Might have hit a pile of stuff on the way out. Another instrument saw better performance thereafter - we might have changed Philae's attitude.

Hammering started as intended in the lowest of 3 power settings (expecting a fluffy soft surface). The depth sensor shows some up and down but no progress. The control loop increased to power setting 2. Depth sensor still shows no progress. Control loop goes to power setting 3. Still no progress! This means that the stuff is really hard! A very interesting finding, not visible from orbit!

We have a secret power setting 4. Nicknamed "desperate mode". Beyond the design specs. We activated it. The truly genius designer of the hammer, Jerzy Grygorczuk, always said "be careful with power mode 4. And still no progress. The hammer gave up and failed after 7 minutes. Jerzy was right. We were desperate, activated, were punished. Surface must be >2 MPa hard! The comet remains surprising bizarre and uncooperative. To put this into perspective: MUPUS performed beautifully inside the specifications. The comet failed to cooperate. The loss of subsurface data is sad. The detection of this very hard crust is a great find the orbiter couldn't have done.
Old 17-11-2014, 07:45 AM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
I look forward to hearing what the various experiments have to say about the geology of the comet but I don't think they've released much just yet.

That "Geological Summary" is just a comment under the ESA picture by somebody interpreting the heavily compressed images that have been released. The raw images won't be released until the science teams have had a chance to work through all the data they've got and they've published their results.

I thought that the bright stuff in that image looked just like ice but the image has so many compression artifacts that those 'ice' features could literally just be due to the compression.

P.S. the MUPUS team did release a short statement about some of the physical properties which I'll paste here:
Thanks Hugh, good pick up.
That is a much better insight into what they have actually found ! Pretty much exactly the opposite of what turns out to be commentary on the image alone !
Old 17-11-2014, 09:25 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I've seen mention that they think the first landing site was much softer and that the final landing site is surprisingly hard. A lot of the science instruments turned on as soon as the lander thought it had landed the first time so they should have some measurements from 3 sites on the comet instead of one!

Also Philae was caught just after the first bounce by Rosetta's NAVCAM:
http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/11...first_landing/
Old 18-11-2014, 11:16 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

First bounce from OSIRIS:
http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Ima...ross_the_comet
Old 21-12-2014, 10:24 AM
algwat (Alan)

ESA/ROSETTA released a series of navcam images for the public to play with.
At my blog is an anim of the rotating comet showing coma activity. Made with imageJ...

http://cometal-comets.blogspot.com.a...laes-ride.html

kind regards, Alan
Old 23-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

That's a cool little animation Alan, well done.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:43 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Just though I'd share this interesting new post about the search for Philae:
http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2015/06...find-philae-2/

Also for those that may not have been following there are some amazing close-up images to peruse in the archive, like these:
http://imagearchives.esac.esa.int/in...p?/category/64

And look at this
http://www.esa.int/var/esa/storage/i...014_NavCam.jpg
Old 15-06-2015, 08:49 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

They might have a bit more luck finding Philae, now that it's woken up!
http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2015/06...m-hibernation/
Old 15-06-2015, 09:14 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Just heard, so exciting!
Can't wait to see some new stuff from it
Old 18-06-2015, 07:02 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

It is great to hear this little lander back in the mainstream news for all the right reasons :-)