Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2012, 12:22 PM
jaybepr (Juan)

Unhappy Orion Starshoot G3 BIG PROBLEM DFU MODE HELP!!!!

Hi, my name is Juan from Houston TX, I just got a new Starshoot from Orion this few day ago, it was working super till I did a Software upgrade and browsing around I click on enter program mode and install some DFU Drivers. Now the Camera is stock on DFU mode . It will connect to the Laptop but just in DFU under hardware AT32UC3B. Someone knows how to exit this DFU mode, I try the Orion Camera Studio and it will NOT connect. Thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 04:25 AM
jaybepr (Juan)

OK, I call ORION 4 times today and no help from them, they send me an email with the Camera suport link on the ORION website. First & Last time that i buy from ORION Telescopes, they need some people with some knolage on the items that they sale. Can someone here help me with this problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

found the info below on a related camera. looks like you have to have a firmware file on your PC to replace the firmware that the DFU software has erased from the camera. You will have to get it from Orion I guess - if they provided you with software that could wipe your camera, the very least they can do is provide you with software to restore it.

Hope it works out OK.

If you get one of these, whatever you do, do *NOT* try to update the firmware through the update firmware menu option in Orion Camera Studio. If you do, it will tell you it needs to put the camera in 'programming mode'- after which your computer will stop recognizing it as a camera and decide it is: 'AT32UC3B,' a 'LibUSB-Win32 Device.' Camera Studio itself doesn't recognize the camera after that point. If you try to go back to the firmware updater it will say that it can't find the camera and that the camera may already be in programming mode. The only thing you can do in the updater is browse your computer looking for an 'elf' file (which I assume is the file type for the firmware) - it does not check online for a new version. As there currently isn't one on Orion's webpage for manual download, you are stuck at this point and pretty much screwed. There isn't any way out of programming mode - at least I haven't found a way out yet. So, right now my camera is an expensive paperweight unless tech support can come up with a solution. I'll update this again if they come through with the fix. All in all, still unsatisfied with the sorry software that came with this otherwise capable entry level camera.

Update:
About a week later the tech support guys emailed me a copy of the latest firmware. Mine originally had ver. 1.01. The version they sent is 1.07. According to tech support, going into programming mode wipes the firmware from the camera. Why they don't have it posted on their webpage for download is a mystery.

Last edited by Shiraz; 06-11-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 PM
billdan (Bill)

Juan
My 2 cents worth, if it is new and only a few days old, ring up and get a return authorisation number and send it back for replacement.

Don't try and fix it yourself, it could be a bottomless pit your entering.

Bill
Old 07-03-2013, 05:20 AM
carlosbarreto

Firmware 1,07 orion starshoot G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
found the info below on a related camera. looks like you have to have a firmware file on your PC to replace the firmware that the DFU software has erased from the camera. You will have to get it from Orion I guess - if they provided you with software that could wipe your camera, the very least they can do is provide you with software to restore it.

Hope it works out OK.

If you get one of these, whatever you do, do *NOT* try to update the firmware through the update firmware menu option in Orion Camera Studio. If you do, it will tell you it needs to put the camera in 'programming mode'- after which your computer will stop recognizing it as a camera and decide it is: 'AT32UC3B,' a 'LibUSB-Win32 Device.' Camera Studio itself doesn't recognize the camera after that point. If you try to go back to the firmware updater it will say that it can't find the camera and that the camera may already be in programming mode. The only thing you can do in the updater is browse your computer looking for an 'elf' file (which I assume is the file type for the firmware) - it does not check online for a new version. As there currently isn't one on Orion's webpage for manual download, you are stuck at this point and pretty much screwed. There isn't any way out of programming mode - at least I haven't found a way out yet. So, right now my camera is an expensive paperweight unless tech support can come up with a solution. I'll update this again if they come through with the fix. All in all, still unsatisfied with the sorry software that came with this otherwise capable entry level camera.

Update:
About a week later the tech support guys emailed me a copy of the latest firmware. Mine originally had ver. 1.01. The version they sent is 1.07. According to tech support, going into programming mode wipes the firmware from the camera. Why they don't have it posted on their webpage for download is a mystery.
Hello!

I need your help because of a problem with my camera orion starshot G3 monochromatic because the firmware of the camera accidentally got deleted and stopped working. I did several searches on google and found no solution, also got in touch with the orion but so far not responded. If anyone has the firmware to send me or know where to download appreciate the help.
Old 21-11-2015, 03:30 AM
MikaHoo (Mika)

Hello, I am amateur astronomer from Finland. Few weeks ago I also lost firmware from Orion Starshoot G3 mono ccd camera. I tried update firmware command and now camera is dead. I have tried to get firmware without succees. PC drivers can be found from web but not camera firmware. It would be nice if someone could send this camera firmware to me.