Old 06-01-2019, 05:05 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Canon 350D

Time to move on, having bought a cooled OSC camera I really do not have a use for this little critter. I am looking for $100 plus post to anywhere in Aus. Cam comes as pictured, camera, no memory card, no battery, no box, but with a 240V adapter to run it from mains power. I will also chuck in the T ring adapter I was using with it.

The cam is astro modified (IR filter removed) but has a screw on IR filter on the lens that comes with it as I was doing timelapses with it and it made balancing the colours easier.

Some caveats, this is an older model camera and while you can control it with software like Backyard EOS (BYE) which I was, it has limitations. You need a 32 bit operating system, I was using Windows XP though going by the BYE website you can use 32 bit Windows 7, I never tried that and I believed that Canon removed the drivers for this cam from the Win7 driver set, I never tested it as I did not have a 32 bit copy of W7 to try it on.

Further to that, live view did not appear until the generation after this one so focusing is a bit slow, and likewise if you want to do bulb exposures beyond 30 seconds you need a DSUSB or similar device.

Plenty of sensor noise as you would expect for an uncooled sensor of this era, but it produced some half decent results as a beginners point to AP.

Attached is a sample pic of what I could get out of it with about 130 stacked 30 second frames in Deep Sky Stacker on a C925 Celestron with 0.63 reducer on an equatorial mount, I used from memory about a dozen dark frames to cut the sensor noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (350D.JPG)
169.2 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (M42WIP2.jpg)
196.9 KB110 views

Last edited by The_bluester; 19-01-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:02 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:
Some caveats, this is an older model camera and while you can control it with software like Backyard EOS (BYE) which I was, it has limitations. You need a 32 bit operating system, I was using Windows XP though going by the BYE website you can use 32 bit Windows 7, I never tried that and I believed that Canon removed the drivers for this cam from the Win7 driver set, I never tested it as I did not have a 32 bit copy of W7 to try it on.

Just for the record, the 350D will work fine with BEOS on Win 7 64 bit.

Here is a screen shot for the record.

Cheers,
Damien.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (350dpic.jpg)
186.5 KB31 views
Old 08-01-2019, 05:54 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

That is interesting, I never found drivers to get it to work on W7, common wisdom at the time was that Canon had removed that cam from their SDK for Windows 7 onwards so I did not spend a lot of time on it.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:33 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
That is interesting, I never found drivers to get it to work on W7, common wisdom at the time was that Canon had removed that cam from their SDK for Windows 7 onwards so I did not spend a lot of time on it.
I didn't install any drivers. Windows update installs them if needed.

Also check out this web site about how to configure the camera.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/ind...t&id=ART142599

Link supplied by Octane in another post.

Cheers,
Damien.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:13 PM
RyanJones

I have both a 5d and 350d of this era and although the camera can be read as a storage device allowing downloading of photos on win7 upwards and 64bit it doesn't allow for PC camera control. Backyard EOS will recognise the camera but when you set exposure sets to run, nothing will happen.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:06 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

That was what I thought but I had not had a chance to check it.

Back on topic, for a nominal amount I can supply the laptop I was using to drive it, all that would be needed would be to buy a copy of Backuars EOS or similar software to drive it.
Old 18-01-2019, 09:01 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

One and only price drop, $50 plus post for the cam, kit lens, screw on IR filter and the power supply. You can't even buy the filter new for that.