Old 30-04-2012, 02:31 PM
warpsl (Jason)

Smile big binos

hello.after many years of thoughtfull consideration,i finally got around to mounting two 6 inch refractors side by side.i used prism diagonals,as opposed to mirrors,as i did not want to cut 3 inches off each ota.the only side effect is that the prisms add a little more C A on planets.but on DSO the views are amazing.have any other ATM tried such projects?
Old 30-04-2012, 04:29 PM
mercedes_sl1970

Welcome and... Wow!! Sounds fabulous - it must be terrific to view through. Can you post any photos?

Andrew
Old 30-04-2012, 05:52 PM
warpsl (Jason)

hi again.thanks for the welcome.i just realised i should have put it in the ATM section.am i allowed to post photos with manufacturers brand names visible?
Old 30-04-2012, 06:16 PM
mercedes_sl1970

Hi - can't see why not - people post pictures of their gear all the time.

Cheers

Andrew

ps probably is an ATM section post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpsl View Post
hi again.thanks for the welcome.i just realised i should have put it in the ATM section.am i allowed to post photos with manufacturers brand names visible?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:23 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

There is a chap (active on these fora) who put two 20" dobs side-by-side, with mirrors made for the purpose by one of our premier opticians. I understand that the views through this 'binosaur' were so engrossing people needed to be prised off the eyepieces with some sort of lever, and reminded to breathe throughout the experience. These comments are anecdotal, because other than constant hyperbolic verbiage about the superiority of the views to, for example, a 25" f5, I've never actually had a chance to look through it...
I've got two 8' f6 mirrors fine ground with the same tool to the same (as near as I could get it) focal length to make a smaller version, but that's as far as I've got.
Same chap can present a number of well reasoned and articulate arguments about why the view is signficantly better with two eyeballs getting the full blast.
regards,
Andrew.