Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2018, 01:14 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

NGC7479 The Superman Galaxy

NGC7479 The Superman galaxy. I think Lewis called it the propeller galaxy? Not a lot of images of this about in the southern hemisphere, but it's popular in the north. It's taking ages to get an image of anything lately with all the cloud about.

Meade LX90 ACF 8" F10 SCT, ZWO ASI 183mm Pro at -10C (TEC working hard lately in the heat) LRGB L204-R63-G107-B61 minutes all over the place like a dog's breakfast. Lum at Bin2, RGB at Bin4. Total = 435 minutes. Needs lots more at F10 but it can't have it in this weather. Shooted through cloud gaps with 1 minute subs.

Bigger at Astrobin ---> https://astrob.in/375341/0/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC7479_435m_1000.jpg)
157.9 KB142 views
Old 06-11-2018, 11:05 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Kev I have been trying to get this one for years. I think I got all of about 30 minutes on it.

Hadn’t thought to try here but being a northerly aspect object I don’t fancy my chances thanks to trees.

You’ve done it justice.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:15 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

This should get pretty high in the sky from Mackay..?

Nice work though, one of those galaxies that kinda looks like it hasn't formed normally

Mike
Old 06-11-2018, 11:21 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Kev I have been trying to get this one for years. I think I got all of about 30 minutes on it.

Hadn’t thought to try here but being a northerly aspect object I don’t fancy my chances thanks to trees.

You’ve done it justice.
Thanks Lewis. Trees are evil. I've been cutting a few back in the hope of a few more northerly targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
This should get pretty high in the sky from Mackay..?

Nice work though, one of those galaxies that kinda looks like it hasn't formed normally

Mike
Thanks Mike. Yes it gets as high as 56 degrees at the meridian. Plenty high enough.

Apparently the galaxy merged with a smaller galaxy at some stage, possibly causing a few mis-shapen aspects to it.

From wiki " Polarization studies of this galaxy indicate that it recently underwent a minor merger and that it is unique in the radio continuum, with arms opening in a direction opposite to the optical arms. This feature, along with the asymmetrical arms of the galaxy and the intense star formation activity are attributed to a merger with a smaller galaxy."
Old 06-11-2018, 11:59 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post

Apparently the galaxy merged with a smaller galaxy at some stage, possibly causing a few mis-shapen aspects to it.

From wiki " Polarization studies of this galaxy indicate that it recently underwent a minor merger and that it is unique in the radio continuum, with arms opening in a direction opposite to the optical arms. This feature, along with the asymmetrical arms of the galaxy and the intense star formation activity are attributed to a merger with a smaller galaxy."
See?...knew it!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Well done, Kevin. A most fascinating galaxy well captured.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:23 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Well done, Kevin. A most fascinating galaxy well captured.
Thanks M&T. Can you reach it with your 20"? It would look grand with your scope.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Nicely done Kevin. I like the colour.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:24 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Not sure I've seen this one before; cool little guy!

56 is pretty low, I built high walls on my observatory because I don't even bother imaging anything until it hits 45 degrees. Shooting through too much atmosphere otherwise, seeing / guiding turns to crap... well, here it does anyway.

Regarding binning, it doesn't work the same way with these CMOS sensors as it did with some of the CCD sensors of old, and you don't really get anything out of it besides smaller files. You do, however, drop down to 10-bit images when binning which could at least theoretically be detrimental to image quality... the recommended approach is to perform binning in software after the fact. Just something to be aware of, probably doesn't make that much of a difference.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:24 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Nicely done Kevin. I like the colour.
Thanks Geoff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Not sure I've seen this one before; cool little guy!

56 is pretty low, I built high walls on my observatory because I don't even bother imaging anything until it hits 45 degrees. Shooting through too much atmosphere otherwise, seeing / guiding turns to crap... well, here it does anyway.

Regarding binning, it doesn't work the same way with these CMOS sensors as it did with some of the CCD sensors of old, and you don't really get anything out of it besides smaller files. You do, however, drop down to 10-bit images when binning which could at least theoretically be detrimental to image quality... the recommended approach is to perform binning in software after the fact. Just something to be aware of, probably doesn't make that much of a difference.
Lee, going by my experiments, binning makes a huge difference in SNR. I'll post an example with the Grus triplet and 12 second exposures with the 10" F4. There's not much difference here between Bin3 and Bin4 at F4 but there is at F10. In my case, when I use the 8" F10 SCT, I'm way oversampled, and binning the colour data doesn't lose much that I can see. I try and keep the Luminance at higher res though, but full res a Bin1 20mp is still too high for me at my learning curve and gives something like 0.2 arc second per pixel. Might be a different case with shorter focal lengths.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Bin.jpg)
142.1 KB18 views
Old 08-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Stevec35 (Steve)

Lovely shot Kevin. Great resolution and colour. FWIW there is another interesting object only about a degree away - the Palomar globular Pal 13.

Cheers

Steve
Old 08-11-2018, 07:22 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Thanks Steve. They might make a nice composition together with a shorter lens. Have to be another time now. It's crossing into my LP.
Old 14-11-2018, 08:25 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Another great image, Kevin!
Old 15-11-2018, 01:58 PM
topheart

Nice one Kevin !
Cheers,
Tim
Old 16-11-2018, 11:50 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp