Old 12-11-2018, 09:51 AM
casstony

Helix with 8" Edge SCT

Not a great photo but the aim last night was to test the 8" Edge and see if I could get it to work - first time I've taken an image through it.

I was surprised how well it worked after reading of all the potential issues with SCT's.

This was with the Celestron 0.7x reducer and T adapter behind the scope with a dslr.
I need to figure out how to get a light pollution filter into the train - any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (helix nov 11 raw.jpg)
129.6 KB77 views
Old 12-11-2018, 10:40 AM
casstony

I tried a small target too and realised that 7009 is so bright it's more akin to imaging planets. This is just a single 2 min frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC_0013.JPG)
115.0 KB47 views
Old 12-11-2018, 12:05 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

I think it's a great shot for the first one.

I would guess at least one of the adapters you are using will have a female thread for filters.

Philip
Old 12-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Tony

Depending on what brand of dslr camera you use, you could put a clip in CLS filter above the sensor or a screw in light pollution filter in the front of your T adapter. There are several types and brands, moon & skyglow, broadband nebula filter etc.
Check out the filter makers like Baader, Astonomics, Lumicon, Thousand Oaks and more. There must be threads on here discussing the topic, do a search.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:05 PM
casstony

Thanks for your comments guys. I have an IDAS P2 filter 2"; the trick is getting it into the train on the SCT.

It did occur to me that I could try f/10 on ngc7009 since it's so bright and use shorter exposures to avoid burning out the centre.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:16 PM
RyanJones

I'm just going to come out and say it Tony. I a bit fan of SCT work. There's no doubt it has its challenges but there's something about it and it's need for 1/2 a million hours that I love. Nice work on helix
Old 12-11-2018, 08:32 PM
casstony

Thanks Ryan. I like the ease of using a refractor, but after this first play with the SCT I'm keen to keep trying on bright targets where the slow f/ratio won't be an issue.

I'll revisit the Saturn nebula when I get a chance and close-ups on bright parts of showpiece nebulae might be fun.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:21 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Thanks Ryan. I like the ease of using a refractor, but after this first play with the SCT I'm keen to keep trying on bright targets where the slow f/ratio won't be an issue.

I'll revisit the Saturn nebula when I get a chance and close-ups on bright parts of showpiece nebulae might be fun.
Give Tarantula a go too. I'd like to see what you get. I've currently got 6 hours on it. It's getting close to where I want it but it's not there yet.

I might give Saturn nebula a go too and see what I come up with.
Old 16-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Nice one Tony

I need to give my Edge 8 some love...it's just a little more seeing-dependent than my short focal length refractor