Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Jethro777 (Jethro)

Sony A77 + 100mm 2/8 lens only, 47 frames, 2.4 min exposure

I just started,

This is the best I can do with what I have until I finish manufacturing my star tracker.

I can't afford a telescope, so I am trying to get the best out of the equipment i have.

At the moment, I can only get 2 second exposures without oval stars/drift. I'm suprised at what I could pick up so far!

Used DSS, and Photoshop to clean final image.

Would welcome suggestions!
What other targets could I 'see' / go for?

This is one of the RAW files --> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ct...mvDFGA_z41n0yC (Orion RAW)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (8by10-partial-rion-inc-cluster.jpg)
197.7 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (Small-Series-6-Post-DS-PS.jpg)
43.7 KB41 views
Click for full-size image (Cluster.jpg)
103.6 KB30 views

Last edited by Jethro777; 10-11-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

First of all Jethro, that's a great start with what you have. Focus looks good and stars are nice and tight. You can probably push your exposure out to 3 to 5 seconds and still maintain fairly round stars without tracking. Using the 500 rule, you can calculate an appropriate time by dividing your lens focal length into 500. In your case, that's 5 seconds but that is just a guide and probably the maximum exposure you could try. More subs will also help. If you shot 47 x 2 second exposures, that's just over one and a half minutes - not very long, not long enough for some of the other nebulosity you're missing with short exposures.

Watch your shadow density in your processing too, as there will be more to reveal in what you have if you don't try and make the background too black. It's all a learning curve. What ISO were you using? You could probably get a really nice result by shooting say, 100 subs at 3200iso at f 2.8 and 4 seconds. Also, where you are shooting from makes a huge difference. Get yourself out to a nice dark sky so you're not capturing any artificial light in the sky.

Keep experimenting, you're doing well and results will get better as you learn. It's a great hobby and as you've found out, you don't necessarily need a telescope!
Old 15-11-2018, 08:53 AM
Jethro777 (Jethro)

Thanks Michael!
That was so encouraging. I've learned a bit more now, I am posting a new shot of LMC as a result!
Because of the ASPC sensor, I think I don't quite have 5 seconds. I have noticed that taking pictures of objects closer to the pole (like LMC), I can increase my exposure time with minimal star trailing.
I am currently in the process of making a star tracker.
Old 15-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Jethro777 (Jethro)

Lmc

1600 ISO
49 x 5 second exposure (4 minute exposure)
f/2.8
Using Bias, Dark and Flat Frames in DSS
Using Sony A77, Minolta 100mm f/2.8 lens

Post processed in CS6
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LMC-SMall.jpg)
189.6 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (LMC-Detail.jpg)
201.4 KB17 views