Old 14-02-2012, 10:59 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Batteries vs Battery Grip

Hi guys

Batteries vs Battery grip for a 5D Mark II.

Please discuss!

Pros / Benefits?
Cons?
Costs?
Genuine vs after market?

Cheers
Old 14-02-2012, 11:15 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Usage
Pro - More battery capacity.
Con - Bulky

After- Market
Pro - Cheaper
Con - (small) cheap construction.

The construction is relative to how well it is used. I have an after-market version pick-up for about $20.00 on Ebay and have been using it for over a year now and it still functions. The clock battery though is a bit suspect but i do not use that. I remove and insert the batteries often and insert a power supply battery eliminator to give me extended time for AP. I know the limitation but treating the unit correctly it has lasted a very long time indeed.

I also considered the option of buying a single genuine grip to how many after-market grips and also worked out the benefit of having to buy 4 or more units for the same cost as a single genuine. After-market won hands down.

If you need to use of the clock and other LCD operations on the grip then the genuine may work in your favour, I can't really comment on this.
Old 14-02-2012, 11:26 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks Malcolm. I'm not really interested in the clock - it's more so I don't have to change batteries as often if I'm doing timelapse/nightscapes.

How many batteries fit in the battery grip?

Like the intervalometer, I'm pretty sure an after market would suit my needs.
Old 14-02-2012, 11:37 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Remember long exposures chew batteries, so all night time lapses may still exhaust the usual 2 batteries in the grip over a couple of hours. My comments are based on experience with a 350D, although the batteries were getting a bit old.

I've worked out how to improvise a 12V power supply with my Nikon, so I should be able to run the camera, dew heater and EQ-3 mount from a 20 amp/hr battery for the night.

DT

Last edited by DavidTrap; 14-02-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 14-02-2012, 11:41 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks David, Yeh I know it won't last all night, but I won't be lugging a 12v power supply around the Kimberley so it's just to get me by.

I'll probably get a 12v adapter for the 5D Mark II as well but won't be for the trip.
Old 14-02-2012, 12:38 PM
mishku

What if we all chipped in and got you a sherpa??

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Thanks David, Yeh I know it won't last all night, but I won't be lugging a 12v power supply around the Kimberley so it's just to get me by.

I'll probably get a 12v adapter for the 5D Mark II as well but won't be for the trip.
Old 14-02-2012, 12:42 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Mine take 2 batteries, also I purchased a similar item to this -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-Power-...ht_7009wt_1163
and was able to modify it to work directly off a 12V battery. I was planning making a few of these up as I have a surplus of inverter modules but time is not on my side at the moment. I now run my mount and camera off a 12V 20AH battery and last all night.

I only use the battery eliminator only. The PSU is in pieces.
Old 14-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

The 5D Mark II with the battery grip is a joy to use.

Couple it with a heavy lens and it just feels so darn beautiful in your hands; so much stability.

The battery grip takes two batteries. You remove the gate that holds the stock battery. The gate then slides into a little slot in the grip, and, the male connector of the grip then inserts into the female battery compartment.

I can't shoot without a grip. The metering/lock buttons in portrait mode are a godsend.

I don't know anything about third party fakes. I have the genuine grip and it's wonderful. The only thing it's missing is a joystick to select focus point, but, I only ever shoot with the centre point (as well as spot meter, anyway), so, it's not a biggie for me.

The 5D Mark III (?) that's been spotted in the wild being tested by a Japanese gentlemen on safari, shows the new grip with an integrated joystick.

H
Old 14-02-2012, 02:54 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Mike, you might find the single battery in the 5D runs long enough? I haven't used a 5D so wouldn't know, but I am surprised by my 7D which will get a full night of astrophotography (8pm - 2am) out of one battery. If doing time lapse at 20 sec intervals it'll get 6pm - 3am approx before stopping. So at most I'd change the battery once in the night if I go longer than that.

I used to love battery grips (the feel, stability, verticle grip, just so nice..) but have found with heavier DSLR's like the 7D with a medium weight lens on it, it's just too heavy for me, and too bulky for my preferred camera bag, so do without for now.

Roger.
Old 14-02-2012, 06:23 PM
hikerbob (Bob)

I've got a cheap after market grip. Mostly great.
Agree with the pro's and con's already listed.

Other points
- the unit I use takes a different battery to the camera. 550D
Means a second charger, less versatility. Not a giant issue but worth checking and avoiding if possible.
- The grip came with a IR remote control. Fantastic help but if I forget to turn it off the batteries can be flat when I go to use the grip.

Bob
Old 15-02-2012, 04:48 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks for the feedback - some good points.

I've never really *needed* or longed for a battery grip on my 40D, but I can see where it would be useful at times - not to mention the added comfort/stability.
Old 15-02-2012, 01:22 PM
mplanet62 (Michael)

I wonder if anyone used mains adaptor for all-night sessions? As a tripod, or telescope is a must - grip does not serve too well with it's added mass. Portrait photography in daylight - completely different story, though... As for me - it makes camera much more stable to hold (EOS10D), but uncomfortably heavy to carry around.
Old 15-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I prefer the heft and weight of my system(s). It's hard for me to hold a camera without a grip now, as I'm used to it.

H
Old 15-02-2012, 02:04 PM
gregbradley

Perhaps not helpful if you are not going to be near a power source but the power adapter is the way to go. Batteries heat up as they discharge and add to camera noise.

Greg.
Old 15-02-2012, 02:04 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplanet62 View Post
I wonder if anyone used mains adaptor for all-night sessions? As a tripod, or telescope is a must - grip does not serve too well with it's added mass. Portrait photography in daylight - completely different story, though... As for me - it makes camera much more stable to hold (EOS10D), but uncomfortably heavy to carry around.
I have a mains adaptor but found it too difficult to use inside the single battery compartment holder due to switches inside the battery compartment.

My battery holder though is not excessively heavy so I found it not so bad to keep it running. It is also handy as I do not need to remove it when taking standard daytime or non astro photos.
Old 15-02-2012, 11:12 PM
midnight (Darrin)
Always on the road

I have a grip for both the 40D and 7D.

Mike, the 40D with 2 batteries (1 genuine, 1 after market) lasted well over 5hrs in late winter (ie 7pm to after midnight : ~ 5deg C) with 5 minute subs & I gave in before the batteries! I honestly thought I would have got less.

The 7D I have used piggyback with the DC adapter in one of the 2 ports and a battery in the other.

I love the "feel" of the grip added to these two cameras. It really complements the handling in awkward situations (and normal!). Very handy for side trips where you may need many hours of continuous operation.

BTW, tonight at the local camera store here in Ginza, I asked one of the reps playing with a EF200mmF1.8L about why they appear to be discounting 7D's & "specials" on 5D's he did not give me a satisfactory answer but had a big grin and said something like I'm sorry I can not speak. I think 5D fever about a new model here in Japan is building. But they don't let out much!!! Drives me nuts!

Darrin...