Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 12-06-2021, 07:51 AM
bojan
amateur

Lars,

Why bother? Just go for OnStep. Or my design (stepper motors drivers only, external controller (could also be PC or laptop) supplies STEP-DIR pulses from variety of applications). You can place it inside the mount instead of original driver board.

I can send you the design if you wish.. it works in both EQ6 I own for almost 10 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (c_139.jpg)
183.6 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (c_140.jpg)
180.3 KB35 views
Old 07-09-2021, 09:08 PM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Hi Bojan,
Sorry for late answer, I missed it. My friend using a OStep to his motor focuser and looks promissing. Now I already have the AstroEQ and want to test it first.

Your own design, doesn't it load the computer a lot when it has to part of the work to drive the stepper motor ?

/Lars
Old 08-09-2021, 07:09 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrofriend View Post
Hi Bojan,
Sorry for late answer, I missed it. My friend using a OStep to his motor focuser and looks promissing. Now I already have the AstroEQ and want to test it first.
Your own design, doesn't it load the computer a lot when it has to part of the work to drive the stepper motor ?
/Lars
Lars,
My design featured in the post #61 is just stepper driver that fits inside EQ6.
Obviously, something has to supply STEP-DIR pulses to move motors. For that purpose I have OnStep controller that runs on MEGA or STM32 boards, I mounted them in separate hand-paddles with buttons and other necessary connectors and h/w. But it can be anything, including PC running applications like Bartels, SoundStepper.. or whatever else.I was also playing with AstroEQ, I even have PCB design and actual board(s) that fits inside EQ6 done, but never used it because roughly at the same time I found OnSTEP to be more flexible and cheaper to build.

Last edited by bojan; 08-09-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 30-08-2023, 08:36 PM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Now at last I can control my EQ6 mount with custom gear ratio from EQMOD Indi version which I use with my Raspberry computer. Lot of work and lot of help to modify the Indi driver to accept custom gear ratio.

Here is some instruction how I made it:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/...di-driver.html

Note: The gear raitio must be setup for one fixed custom gear ratio. It's done in the source code as it's now.

The driver can distinguish between an EQ6 mount with custom gear ratio and a HEQ5 with standard gear ratio. I use the same control computer for both mounts.

Lars
Old 15-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Astrofriend (Lars)

When looking at my old projects I noticed that I have a lot of readers on my project about the EQ6 mount. I have gone through the text and correct mistakes and moved out some of the pages to separate projects/tutorials.

Here is the updated version:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/...ebuilding.html

Let me know if there is something that is unclear and I try to complement the information.

It works very well nowadays, both on Windows ASCOM and Linux KStar system.

Lars