Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2018, 07:00 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Artifical Intelligence- Indepth doco.

DO YOU TRUST THIS COMPUTER? Full HD Original Documentary.

Very scary, my heart was racing right through it. Like watching a horror movie but it's real . As said in the doco, that Artificial Intelligence. will only get smarter and there's no going back. Wait till you get to the part of the little robot with legs, how it taught itself to walk and gave itself an extra neuron and read peoples faces etc (was not part of the plan)... Freaky.
Elon Musk is in it several times.
45 mins after watching my heart is still racing, I cannot watch it again

Doco brief:
Quote:
Science fiction has long anticipated the rise of machine intelligence. Today, a new generation of self-learning computers have begun to reshape every aspect of our lives. Incomprehensible amounts of data are being created, interpreted, and fed back to us in a tsunami of apps, personal assistants, smart devices, and targeted advertisements. Virtually every industry on earth is experiencing this transformation, from job automation, to medical diagnostics, even military operations. Do You Trust This Computer? explores the promises and perils of our new era. Will A.I. usher in an age of unprecedented potential, or prove to be our final invention?
Old 10-06-2018, 08:22 PM
JA

Thanks for the link Suzy. I'm enjoying it right now.

Best
JA
Old 10-06-2018, 08:57 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Thanks Suzy .....Have downloaded it to watch later.

Col...
Old 10-06-2018, 09:28 PM
leon

Me to, thanks indeed, will have a look tomorrow, sounds very interesting.

Leon
Old 10-06-2018, 09:46 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Thanks Suzy, will check it out - I love this kind of thing.

For some reason that I cannot fathom, I have a real weak spot for the whole "Pinocchio" story (the machine wanting to be human, or at least, treated as such). Spielberg/Kubrick's "A.I.", Bicentennial Man, 2001 (HAL), etc nearly had me in tears first time I saw them, because of that aspect.

I'll see if this doco makes me re-assess things. I remember reading an article from some early AI programmers. Their goal was to emulate the life and times of a sea cucumber! Sounds like they weren't aiming too high, until they explained how many hundreds of thousands of code lines went into it. In the end, the main point wisdom they had was: "You never appreciate a stupid person, until you try and create one".
Old 10-06-2018, 10:48 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hello there JA, Col, Leon and Andy,
Thank you, you are all very welcome. Please don't forget to watch it, it's a huge eye opener.

Andy, Bicentennial Man is one of my favourite movies and I cry everytime I watch it. But the android in this doco scared me, because it's all too real.

After I posted this thread I didn't realise there was a currently running facebook thread regarding data usage, and went oh my gosh was this good or bad timing .
Some good info there especially from Marc and Annette, but I'm not liking the insults and swearing by some others.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:57 AM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

A good video to watch.

At some point in the near future, AI will be able to develop itself faster than humans can. That will be the start of an exponential learning curve, and human intelligence will be rendered into history as something akin to how we view ants right now.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:15 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I watched the Video last night ... it's all about ' data profiling ' people and Robots taking our jobs...Using Robots in weapons development... unrest in the streets worldwide ....not a healthy future at all if it goes that way.

and self learning Robots recognizing human emotions and copying them ...and more ... getting to the point of Robots being ' self aware '
AI is taking over .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (22.jpg)
127.2 KB14 views

Last edited by FlashDrive; 12-06-2018 at 09:26 PM.