Old 25-05-2019, 04:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

An infinite universe

Infinite is hard to get your head around but the interestin thing it can produce is that a particlar situation must be replicated elsewhere and this includes direct copies in effect of this world and its special history simply because if it is infinite no matter how unlikey if it is remotely possible by any combinations limited only by the laws of nature as nature knows them...finding life on only one other plant gives an undenial probability which even if wrong in prediction will be the same in practical outcome ....and there will be infinite copies of any reality in any event so that means we must as we are just copies of an infinite set...and then there would be other places where just similar and some not so similar ...almosr anything is possible and if possible and evidenced by only one example must be infinitely replicated...and indeed not inly must be a group of monekys writting the works of shapspeae but others writting same and different stories and again each version can only...can only be...infinite...there is no other logic here the maths make the proposition I suggest is the way it is...that is if the universe is infinite...well can only be so...
Mmmm dinners cooked gotta go☺
Alex
Old 25-05-2019, 04:31 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, the answer you seek is here:

https://m.phys.org/news/2015-03-univ...-infinite.html
Old 25-05-2019, 07:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Glen.
22/7 is an examle of an infity that shows no pattern as I understand ??? As apparently does the universe from observation but our observation is only of the finite and so we are not able to observe if there is no repetition.My point is that infinity pays funny when you try to introduce a established proability..you multiply the smallest fraction and the only answer is infinite...that was the ptemise of my muse and althought it seemed funny at first I think the nonsense I propose is not unreasonable ...

Mmmm must think more on this...I think folk thinking about infinity lose it as I remember..I can see why they could...
Alex
Old 25-05-2019, 11:02 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Perhaps read Carlo Rovelli , If you are interested in the development of science concepts. A kind of Italian Brian Cox.

The Order of Time is one of his books.
You will not think about concepts in quite the same way.

Possibly it is the words and what we think they mean that get in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thank you Glen.
22/7 is an examle of an infity that shows no pattern as I understand ??? As apparently does the universe from observation but our observation is only of the finite and so we are not able to observe if there is no repetition.My point is that infinity pays funny when you try to introduce a established proability..you multiply the smallest fraction and the only answer is infinite...that was the ptemise of my muse and althought it seemed funny at first I think the nonsense I propose is not unreasonable ...

Mmmm must think more on this...I think folk thinking about infinity lose it as I remember..I can see why they could...
Alex
Old 26-05-2019, 09:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Ray for contributing to the thread and indicating an interesting direction for the discussion.
I will google your chap as no doubt one can get a general idea of the proposition presented in a book somewhere on the net even perhaps critique of the premises suggested in that particular book.
But you touch on perhaps the key issue which is of course language and meanings of our words.
I have tried to apply some sort of logic but it is always tied to my interpretation of "infinite".
The relevance of geometry and its effect of fitting a model using geometry, which it the only way it can be in a particular sense but if geometry has difficulty in describing something and does not hardley destroys the possibilities that simple mathematics could point to...that is the generation of multiple opportunities in an "infinite" universe and arguably each in turn be infinitely replicated.
So what does infinity mean.
To me I think it is the word that describes the universe to be endless in size rather than manage infinite like the surface of a sphere approach.
What would be more astounding and probably more correct along the lines of no two snowflakes are the same (how do they know that? Did they check all snow flakes?
....is if infinte is there an underlying rule that prevents replication...if ifinite the opportunity is of course limitless...

The greatest difficulty to confront the implication of infinite in the sense that I conceive it ....
It is difficult to realise how an infinite universe would work...but if you went in one direction ..as say the line of numbers when trying to express 22/7 as a decimal. ..you may never pass thru two galaxies that are the same but maybe at an infinite distance that line should reveal the same over and over..you may only encounter an M 31 every trillion trillion light years when you apply infinite your sums only produce infinite.
The opposite position is just as intriguing. .that of a finite universe...what does that even mean ..finite means it exists withing something else...to be finite there must be an outside and that the big bang singularity can only have occured within another "space or medium" and that indeed when the universe expands it can only expand into that "external region"...again words ...
Alex
Old 26-05-2019, 01:42 PM
leon

Now that was an interesting read, thanks for that, now I wont sleep at all tonight, thinking about it.

Leon
Old 26-05-2019, 01:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Leon thank you.
Heres something for going to sleep. You may have heard the saying..."it is a wise man who can imagine a rod without ends...so you imagine such a rod travelling along it at many times the speed of light and you can imagine the places it pases thru .. the different worlds to emptiness of space becomes even more apparent until you reach the next galaxy...I fall asleep after a couple of billion trillion light years...and never got to the end of it...and of you get board going that way come back and go in the exact opposite ditection...when you get tired of that select a different tradjectory ...any out of the geometrically infinite number of trajectories thru the center of a sphere...and of course that is only at one point move the point a little in any direction and you have another infinite opportunity for your rod to travel...you can ride it fly along side of it or attach a virtual camera and watch it on an imaginary display...a big one☺
I find the best way to go to sleep is design a house and work out constructio and costs material lists how much paint and the strain of managing the lists of materials costs etc and keep it all going has me out to it...unless I am having a bad night so I build a street☺
Alex