Old 22-05-2019, 12:11 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Heading to NZ

No, not a lefty tree hugger immigrating to NZ, but a family trip to the north island in Dec.
Campervaning from Wellington to Auckland over two weeks approx.
I am after some tips and hidden gems, particularly on where to stay for the stars and any astro related. I might bring a small 70-80 mm refractor on the trip and a pair of 10x50 binos.
Thanks!
Bo
Old 22-05-2019, 01:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I believe NZ is the only country in the world where making moonshine is not illegal...thats a good reason to stay☺.

Enjoy your trip.
Alex
Old 22-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Wavytone

Bay of islands, north of Auckland is very pretty ... we stayed in Russell.

Apart from Mt Egmont there aren’t any other really high peaks, so pretty much anywhere out in the countryside and away from the cities will have nice skies.

Take the binocs but leave the scope at home IMHO.
Old 22-05-2019, 04:43 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

The area around Rotorua and Lake Taupo is beautiful. If you drive through Hamilton go see Hobbiton. Weta cave in Wellington as well is worth a look.
Old 22-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

The east coast is usually a little less cloudy than the west coast and anywhere away from the larger towns is pretty dark if you get a chance to star gaze.
In the middle of the North Island, at the southern end of Lake Taupo is Tongariro National Park, where NZs' highest peak, Mt Ruapehu at 2797 metres is situated and is an active volcano, along with Mt Ngauruhoe, 2287 metres. There is a camping area in the park and the area is worth taking a walk around for a day or two. By the way, Lake Taupo is a crater lake, just for some scale.
Another touristy place is the Waitomo Caves, famous for the Glow Worm Cave, definitely worth a tour. NZ is a really cool place to visit so enjoy your holiday.
Old 22-05-2019, 08:00 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Black water rafting Waitomo!

Skyline Luge Rotorua

Hobbiton movie set.

Everything thermal/volcanic in and around Rotorua
Old 22-05-2019, 09:21 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Thank you all
Rotorua, Lake Taupo are locked in, so are Hobbiton and Weta studios and glow worms.
We plan to drive around the eastern part and I will take my binos.
Any museums or Astro related sites?
Cheers
Bo
Old 22-05-2019, 10:12 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Hi Bo,

I have been married to a New Zealander for 25 years and we have done over 40 trips back to NZ. She has relatives we have visited all over NZ over the past 25 years. In addition we have done 4 major trips (>5 weeks) around NZ. Two in the North Island and two in the South. Notwithstanding my wife is from the North Island, we both prefer the South Island. The North Island is also very pretty with lots to see and do and you will have a great time. Driving in the North Island is definitely a bit easier than the South Island, as the highways are a little more open with fewer twisty, winding, hilly bits.

While 95% of the highest Mountains are in the South Island there are still probably 10 in the North Island over 5,000 feet. Ruapehu is the highest, some others are Taranaki (Egmont), Tongariro, Ngauruhoe, Hikurangi.

You have already been given some excellent destinations. It's also difficult to fit everything into the time you have.

Two other destinations I would include as "must see" are

1) Huka Falls (just north of Taupo)

https://www.newzealand.com/au/feature/huka-falls/

2) Wai O TaPu (About 30 minutes nth of Huka Falls and 40 minutes Sth of Rotorua)

https://www.waiotapu.co.nz/

If you also go to Napier / Hastings I would also do the drive up Te Mata Peak at Havelock Nth. Its a hairy drive up for the last couple of km's but the views at the top are spectacular

https://www.newzealand.com/au/feature/te-mata-peak/

You have indicated you are only going as far North as Auckland. Someone has suggested the Bay of Islands. This is about a 4 hour drive North of Auckland and to go up that far will take at least 2 full days for the round trip and sightseeing. I think The Bay of Islands is quite pretty and worth doing (I am a fisherman and the fishing is also excellent), but my wife who was born right near the Bay of Islands doesn't rate it quite so high.

Cheers and have a great trip

John B

Last edited by ausastronomer; 22-05-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 22-05-2019, 10:46 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Thank you all
Rotorua, Lake Taupo are locked in, so are Hobbiton and Weta studios and glow worms.
We plan to drive around the eastern part and I will take my binos.
Any museums or Astro related sites?
Cheers
Bo
Auckland museum is great. Also do the tower jump if you like free falling.
Old 23-05-2019, 12:46 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

If you are landing in Wellington, do a trip up to the Carter Observatory, the tram ride up the hill is a good way to get an overview of the city and the observatory is quite interesting too.
Old 23-05-2019, 07:26 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Ruapehu seems a good place to look for good skies. It has 2 skifields with sealed access roads to above 1,600m, Turoa and Whakapapa. The drive up the volcano is spectacular. Stay at Ohakune HP for quick access to Turoa. December the Skifield will be deserted. Easy to incorporate in the trip North, just go around the western side of Ruapehu and rejoin SH1 at Turangi. There is a cool lookout just before Turangi that you shouldn't miss.