Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-03-2015, 01:30 AM
H.Treur

Who can help this Dutch guy across the Southern sky ?

Hello all,

I live in Europe and will be visiting Australia from November 11 till 27.
For I have never seen the Southern skies, I would like to be prepared for observing those new deep-sky-territories.
I would like to get in contact with someone who is familiar with deepsky-observing, and who is willing to show me the way across the sky.

First: I will be staying in the area outside of Brisbane (Luscombe). This is where my sister lives. According to her, the skies from her valley are very impressive: but she is not into astronomy at all, so we can put some doubt to her opinion. Is anyone familiar with this area? Any SQM-values? Considering Brisbane and Goldcoast within 40 kilometres I expect no SQM above 20,5.

http://i61.tinypic.com/158b1h1.jpg

Second: I rent a campervan to drive around. Can anyone advise me decent spots for stargazing within a 100 Km-circle from Luscombe?
I expect southwest is the best option for me. Especially since my interest will be the zenith and the circumpolar area of your skies.
(You will understand that my interest will not be the northern horizon).
How about Mount Barney National Park?

Third: will there be a starparty in this area half November? (the weekend of 13 to 15 november seems to be good moment for public starparties).

Fourth: because of airflight-weightrestrictions I cannot bring my favorite 16-inch dob with me. Would anyone be willing to borrow a likewise instrument to me?
I know I know; it is an awkward thing to ask…
But in that case I only have to bring my own eyepieces to Australia.

Well, enough for the moment. Hope you can help this dude from Europe.

Best regards,
Harro Treur

Last edited by H.Treur; 25-03-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 28-03-2015, 07:29 PM
H.Treur

A little kick up the list...
Old 28-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Kunama

Hello Harro,
You won't have to go very far from Luscombe to get decently dark skies, heading southwest toward Beaudesert or from Beaudesert toward Mt Barney will find quite a few dark locations.

Can't help you with regard to gatherings or a loan scope, I am 1200klms further south.

Safe travels..... don't forget to bring your binoculars
Old 30-03-2015, 06:12 AM
H.Treur

thank you for the locations.
indeed the area west of Beaudesert seems promising.
Does anyone have experience with parking a campervan near a public road at night?
Or will this raise some eyebrows from passing officers?
(and raise a yellow paper from his pocket?).
Old 30-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hello, Harro

Your dates of 11-27th Nov coincide with the New Moon – attached is a screen capture from The Sky X Pro.

I note that a couple of the local astronomy clubs, the Brisbane Astronomical Society and the Southern Astronomical Society have dark sky events planned for the weekends Friday 13th September – not too sure how jetlagged you would be!

Here are a couple of links to their events calendars:

Brisbane Astronomical Society

Southern Astronomical Society

It has been a while since I attended one of the local astro camps, but from memory, I think that November is more prone to cloudy nights compared to our winter months of Jun, Jul & Aug.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (The Sky Calendar N0v 2015.jpg)
111.5 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (BAS Astrocamp Calendar.JPG)
120.2 KB64 views
Click for full-size image (SAS Astrocamp Calendar.JPG)
16.7 KB25 views
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dates-calendar-2015.pdf (226.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 30-03-2015, 11:41 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

From

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/mo...arney_national

"All camping areas in Mount Barney National Park can only be reached by foot. Minimal impact camping is encouraged within the park; please if you pack it in, pack it out. There are no facilities at the camp sites."

I think that's a 'no'.

In general, the main issue in national parks is that the camping areas may be heavily treed. Not always but often. (In the great outdoors, Europeans tend to seek sun whereas Australians seek shade.) If I were you I'd go as far west as possible to maximise the chances of clear skies - and the trees get shorter and more scattered.

Stopping in a roadside rest area signposted 'No Camping' doesn't automatically meant the coppers will book you, but then again they might. I've heard of people being let camp in 'No Camping' areas because they were 'respectable' and 'not smoking bongs'. Of course, the further out of a town you are the less the chance you will even see a copper. I bigger issue could be the lights from passing traffic. There are some guides to free camping.

http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/
http://www.wikicamps.com.au/

I have the camps book. If you nominate some target areas I'll have a look for spots when I get a chance (and if remember where I put it).
Old 30-03-2015, 11:49 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Ron Knight might be the man to talk to. He lives under dark skies north of Brisbane, Cambroon Observatory. I know it's further than you intended to drive.
Old 31-03-2015, 12:17 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Ron Knight might be the man to talk to. He lives under dark skies north of Brisbane, Cambroon Observatory. I know it's further than you intended to drive.
Thanks Jeanette, I had seen this, but as you say I thought he was more oriented to the south of Brisbane.
I will send him some information and see what he thinks.
Cheers
Old 31-03-2015, 12:27 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Treur View Post
A little kick up the list...
Hi Harro see my information as to my observatory and how to get here
Information.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=8808
My equipment is in my signature at bottom of post.
Let me know if you are interested.
Cheers
Old 01-04-2015, 01:39 AM
H.Treur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I note that a couple of the local astronomy clubs, the Brisbane Astronomical Society and the Southern Astronomical Society have dark sky events planned for the weekends Friday 13th September – not too sure how jetlagged you would be!

Here are a couple of links to their events calendars:
Brisbane Astronomical Society
Southern Astronomical Society
Thank you so much Dennis, for all your info.
That weekend (Friday 13th !) seems very promising indeed with two astro campevents in the wide neighbourhood.

About the jetlag: I guess I will experience some, but whenever the sky is blue and evening falls, usually all fatigue disappears immediately.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:47 AM
H.Treur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
. Of course, the further out of a town you are the less the chance you will even see a copper. I bigger issue could be the lights from passing traffic. There are some guides to free camping.

http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/
http://www.wikicamps.com.au/

I have the camps book. If you nominate some target areas I'll have a look for spots when I get a chance (and if remember where I put it).
Thank you Astral Traveller. I will delve into the websites you sent along.

I Like your Avatar. You seem to be a YES-addict like me.
Last year in May they played in Holland and I was as Lucky to be there: Amazing how these old guys still rock the place down. Even with their difficult music ("Awaken" for instance).
Old 01-04-2015, 02:00 AM
H.Treur

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Hi Harro see my information as to my observatory and how to get here Information.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=8808
My equipment is in my signature at bottom of post.
Let me know if you are interested.
Cheers
Certainly I am interested Mr. Knight!
Thank you for your hospitality. Your location seems very promising in Google Maps.

So visiting your observatory is skyhigh on my todo-list now.
When i make a quick schedule, it seems that I could be visiting your place on sunday 15, mon 16 or tue 17th of november. (very preliminary).

Best regards.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:47 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Thank you Astral Traveller. I will delve into the websites you sent along.

I Like your Avatar. You seem to be a YES-addict like me.
Last year in May they played in Holland and I was as Lucky to be there: Amazing how these old guys still rock the place down. Even with their difficult music ("Awaken" for instance).
Thanks for the comments. The avatar was made for me by another IIS member, Starless, whose user name and avatar pay homage to another great band, King Crimson. I don't know if I ever was a Yes-addict but I certainly am not these days. In fact I only rarely listen to them - heard it all before . However on occasions like birthdays and anniversaries the old stuff tends to come out again. I saw them last year too. Still a very very good band but not a patch on them back in 2002. It's such a pity the band broke up - the new singer is OK but I'm not fan of the new keyboard player.

Sad to say that Yes were never popular in Australia. I go years without meeting anyone who has heard of them (and I'm talking about people in the right age group) yet it seems that every second or third European I meet is a Yes fan.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:16 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Certainly I am interested Mr. Knight!
Thank you for your hospitality. Your location seems very promising in Google Maps.

So visiting your observatory is skyhigh on my todo-list now.
When i make a quick schedule, it seems that I could be visiting your place on sunday 15, mon 16 or tue 17th of november. (very preliminary).

Best regards.
I look forward to catching up with you Harro.
Cheers