Old 21-04-2016, 07:03 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Eta Aquarids

Have just started last night. Popped out about 10 pm for half an hour and used the shadow of a roof overhang to block out the moon. I got one plus a sporadic and I think I glimpsed 4 more hits but wasn't in the right place to confirm.
Was hoping early morn when I normally get up would be better but clouds got in the way. Same tonight and forecast is not good heading into the weekend.

Anyone else ...?
Old 22-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Kunama

Clouds here too last night Brent, with only occasional views through sucker holes.
We were set up at Mt Stromlo Observatory. The moon looked pretty impressive at 365x in the 18", almost like Ken Mattingly's view of the lunar surface. Did bugger up our night vision though!
Old 24-04-2016, 07:07 PM
batema (Mark)

Could someone please tell me the exact date for the peak as I see it is the 6 7 May but is that for Australia or are those dates for like America?
Old 24-04-2016, 07:26 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Meteors are time periodic, not location. The earth is passing through the remnants of a comet debris stream. The peak is nominally as we pass through the centre of that stream but that only means it is the date we should see the most meteors per hour, there is no guarantee.
There will probably be clouds that night anyway. I just try to get out any night it is clear. Or better, any early morning. Very early !
Old 25-04-2016, 12:02 AM
batema (Mark)

Thanks for the response. What I meant is the website that said 67 may was not an Australian website so I was wondering if in Australia that would mean the 78may or is it on the 67may here in Australia?
Old 25-04-2016, 01:02 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

As I said, meteors don't necessarily follow a schedule. If you wish to see some pick any night that is clear ( I saw a few Friday ) bundle up warm and go look towards the East for incoming. I saw two meteors in half an hour, one definitely an Aquarid. and a possible 4 more out of the corner of my eye, just missed them.
Better towards 3-4 am onwards as the radiant will be above the horizon and we'll be turning into the stream as the earth rotates.
Old 25-04-2016, 02:03 PM
batema (Mark)

Thanks Brent
Old 25-04-2016, 02:17 PM
colinmlegg (Colin)

Mark, here are some details from International Meteor Organization -

"η-Aquariids (031 ETA)
Active: April 19–May 28; Maximum: May 5, 20h UT (λ⊙ = 45 .
◦5);
ZHR = 40 (periodically variable, ≈ 40–85);
Radiant: α = 338◦
, δ = −1

; Radiant drift: see Table 6;
V∞ = 66 km/s; r = 2.4.
This stream is associated with Comet 1P/Halley, like the Orionids of October. Shower meteors
are only visible for a few hours before dawn essentially from tropical and southern hemisphere
sites. Some useful results have come even from places around 40◦ N latitude at times however and occasional meteors have been reported from further north. The shower is one of the best for
southern observers and would benefit from increased observer activity generally. The fast and
often bright meteors make the wait for radiant-rise worthwhile, and many events leave glowing
persistent trains. While the radiant is still low, η-Aquariids tend to have very long paths, which
can mean observers underestimate the angular speeds of the meteors, so extra care is needed
when making such reports.

A relatively broad maximum, sometimes with a variable number of submaxima, occurs around
May 5. IMO analyses based on data collected between 1984–2001, have shown that ZHRs are
generally above 30 in the period May 3–10. The peak rates appear to be variable on a roughly
12-year timescale. Assuming this Jupiter-influenced cycle is real, the next trough is due around
2014–2016, so ZHRs should be close to their relative poorest this year. Activity around the most
recent ZHR peak period in circa 2008 and 2009 seemed to have been ≈ 85 and 65 respectively.
In 2013, ZHRs up to ≈ 70 have been recorded (WB, p. 24). New Moon on May 6 creates ideal
viewing conditions for whatever the shower provides this year. All forms of observing can be
used to study it, with radio work allowing activity to be followed even from many northern
latitude sites throughout the daylight morning hours. The radiant culminates at about 08h
local
time."
Old 27-04-2016, 12:13 AM
batema (Mark)

Thankyou Colin.
Old 27-04-2016, 01:18 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

The IMO calendar that Colin quoted is an excellent source. It tells you which showers to look for, and what parts of the world are favourable to observe from.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:53 AM
ThunderStorm (Alan)

Do the meteor shower happen all over the places in sky in all directions? Look at east, south, west and north?
Any better time will it be to watch?

How about Friday midnight (that will be Saturday) to 2 am?
Old 04-05-2016, 05:11 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
Do the meteor shower happen all over the places in sky in all directions? Look at east, south, west and north?
Any better time will it be to watch?

How about Friday midnight (that will be Saturday) to 2 am?
I read somewhere that all you have to do is face east and look up. You should be able to see meteors the nights before and after peak. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:40 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

East is where the radiant is, ie where Eta Aquarids appear to originate from. They may be overhead but their source should still point roughly back at the radiant. Other meteors would be termed sporadics, ie not orginating from the radiant and therefore not Eta Aquarids.
Find a nice spot with a best clear open sky to the East, bundle up warm on a sun lounger or something and keep your eyes open and scanning the sky. I think peak is about 10 - 15 per hour so don't get discouraged.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:57 PM
ThunderStorm (Alan)

So no specific range of hours (mid-night) or something?
Old 05-05-2016, 05:26 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Ignore this post and go with the one I put up after it! Accidentally pressed reply and not edit.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:28 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

This link says that the best times are between 4 and 5am.
I don't really understand the timing on IMO so I'm going with that
Old 06-05-2016, 11:03 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliGoatsGruff View Post
This link says that the best times are between 4 and 5am.
I don't really understand the timing on IMO so I'm going with that
That's generally a good time for any shower.
After mignight, the earth is colliding 'head on' with the meteors. Before midnight, they have to 'catch up'.
The best time is a balancing act between the path of the earth, the height of the radiant, and the local sunrise time.

I will be out in the countryside on the 15th, and will try to have an observing session. Probably won't be as good as this weekend, but worth a go.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Luke.

I had a look this morning from about 5am-6am. Saw around 15 and a couple of pretty decent ones. I managed to get a picture of one but its pretty terrible!
Very cool to see it from my backyard though!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:55 AM
ThunderStorm (Alan)

5am - 6am?
It is near dawn and will it dark enough to watch?
Old 06-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Luke.

I went back to bed at 6 because the sun started overpowering the horizon but I could still clearly see the meteors directly overhead where the sky was still darkish.