Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 01-10-2017, 07:37 PM
kens (Ken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Holy Hole in a Doughnut BATMAN!!!
You've made my night Ken. Will have to check this out. PHD2 just keeps going from strength to strength....
So as not to pollute this thread I've got a thread going at http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=161804 and I'm keen to see how it works for others. Screen shots of the main display and the tool window will help me assess its accuracy in general use. And any questions on how to use it or things to fix are welcome.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:56 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Bojan,

Would it be possible for an image of your arrangement to be taken and posted? What you have designed sounds very intriguing and promising. Cheers David
Hi David,
I will post image of setup soon...
It is very simple, I have a compass mounted on aluminium 10mm "L" profile, ~1m long, that can be mounted (with 1/4" UNC screw) on the mount (I drilled and tapped the hole at one side of both my LXD75 / EXOS2 and EQ3 mounts for that purpose).

When I was doing alignment the first time, first I levelled the mount and them found the S pole with polar finder (which was calibrated on distant terrestrial object first).
Then I mounted the compass (originally it was used in some sort of artillery aiming gadget, I found it a long time ago in one military surplus store) and adjust it more accurately (I started with -11° which is the approximate value for Melbourne) .

When I go out with the mount, the aim obtained with help of bubble level and compass places the S pole in the polar scope field, and this is even accurate enough for wide field (up to 100mm FL and exposure times up to minute).
Old 04-02-2018, 03:39 PM
bojan
amateur

Hi David,

My apologies for the delay... I hope the following images will still be useful for you (and anyone else with similar issues...)
I keep the compass arm in the PVC tube, for protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (arm_thread.jpg)
203.4 KB106 views
Click for full-size image (compass_arm_mount.jpg)
212.1 KB112 views
Click for full-size image (compass_arm.jpg)
207.2 KB111 views
Click for full-size image (compass.jpg)
199.8 KB163 views
Click for full-size image (bubble.jpg)
199.1 KB101 views
Click for full-size image (my_reticle.jpg)
77.4 KB111 views
Click for full-size image (compass_tube.jpg)
208.3 KB106 views