Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 30-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Issue with classified photos

I'm not sure how this occurs but is there an y chance the issue where we have to crane our necks or turn our laptops sideways can be fixed?
More and more I see photos side on.
Could we just post photos in landscape form or can the forum software sort it?
It's extremely annoying
Old 30-11-2017, 05:13 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

And here's me thinking you had got a piccy of a Chinese satellite ????

Andrew
Old 30-11-2017, 05:16 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

It bugs me too. There's been a spate of them on AM and CN recently.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Mods? Admins? Someone?
Old 18-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Bumping this thread, is anyone actually reading this?????? Admin?
Old 18-01-2018, 11:01 PM
DJT (David)

Feeling very guilty as one of mine is one of those and yet I can’t get it uploaded the right way up despite changing the orientation of the image on my phone..

Grr
Old 19-01-2018, 02:21 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

What i have to do to make the right way up thing happen is take the picture or pictures with my iphone holding the phone straight up but they still load sideways so i have to email them to myself and save the pics to my laptop ,open them in my picture viewer go into the adjust part and save them because if i don't when i try to upload them they still come out sideways as if i had tried to upload them from my phone so lately i have just gone

"stuff that" then say to myself "sideways it is".
Old 19-01-2018, 06:34 AM
Robair (Robert)
Seeing is Not Believing

I have an ad in the IIS for sale section at the moment.
When I took a photo of the little dob in portrait on my I phone it downloaded to my computer rotated 90 degrees. When I uploaded to site it was rotated 90 degrees the other way. When you clicked onto the image it was stretched horizontally however correct orientation, when clicked for a full screen image it was perfect. The preview picture next to the ad listing is also oriented correctly.
How do you win that battle?
Rob B
Old 19-01-2018, 10:09 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Phone pix don't do rotational orientation data very well. The only way is to fix the pic in a graphics app.
Old 19-01-2018, 10:14 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robair View Post
I have an ad in the IIS for sale section at the moment.
When I took a photo of the little dob in portrait on my I phone it downloaded to my computer rotated 90 degrees. When I uploaded to site it was rotated 90 degrees the other way. When you clicked onto the image it was stretched horizontally however correct orientation, when clicked for a full screen image it was perfect. The preview picture next to the ad listing is also oriented correctly.
How do you win that battle?
Rob B
Did you rotate it and then save it because i found if i rotated the image and did not save it as if i had altered the image it would still download sideways

I must say it does look terrible so i don't post photos now unless i am asked or something is not selling ,Just too much hassle to get them on there ,it would be nice if the tech heads came in on this thread and explain to someone like myself what's going on,i am sure there is probably a logical explanation .
Old 19-01-2018, 10:58 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
it would be nice if the tech heads came in on this thread and explain to someone like myself what's going on,i am sure there is probably a logical explanation .
Another "bandaid" solution is to use "Snipping Tool" - built into Windows 7 onwards. Solution is useful if picture resolution is not too important.

Simply view your picture correctly onscreen by whatever means is comfortable, then run snipping tool to "cut" that portion of the screen out and save as a new file. Be sure to maximise the pic and even zoom into relevant parts to increase the useful pixels available for the "cut".

This has other advantages, in that it removes EXIF data for privacy, and gives you a 2nd opportunity to crop the picture prior to posting.

Regarding an explaination, turning off "Screen rotation" on one's phone goes a long way in revealing the truth in how a picture is captured and recorded at the phone end.

Hope this bandaid helps someone
Old 19-01-2018, 11:20 AM
leon

Maybe you guys should take pictures with a real Camera and not a phone. and don't reply with, "my phone has a good camera", it just isn't the same as a Canon 5D M11 or similar.

Leon
Old 19-01-2018, 01:23 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Another "bandaid" solution is to use "Snipping Tool" - built into Windows 7 onwards. Solution is useful if picture resolution is not too important.

Simply view your picture correctly onscreen by whatever means is comfortable, then run snipping tool to "cut" that portion of the screen out and save as a new file. Be sure to maximise the pic and even zoom into relevant parts to increase the useful pixels available for the "cut".

This has other advantages, in that it removes EXIF data for privacy, and gives you a 2nd opportunity to crop the picture prior to posting.

Regarding an explaination, turning off "Screen rotation" on one's phone goes a long way in revealing the truth in how a picture is captured and recorded at the phone end.

Hope this bandaid helps someone
Had a play around to understand what's happening,tried to lock the screen on the phone no good but with my iphone if i turned it to the left on its side eureka !!! Just taken a picture of my Fujiyama ortho i'm selling and it worked , If you do what i have just done it should work ,Hopefully this will mark the end of turning the laptop on its end to see the pictures
Old 19-01-2018, 03:07 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Try to focus on taking pictures instead of worrying about a simple rotation task might help. Nothing like taking a great picture to be proud of.

Cheers,

Damien
Old 19-01-2018, 03:19 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
Try to focus on taking pictures instead of worrying about a simple rotation task might help. Nothing like taking a great picture to be proud of.

Cheers,

Damien
It's like everything in life some people are better or understand things better than others through learning or just a natural ability ,the thing i can't stand is people who are so ignorant and full of their own importance are blind to this ......
Old 19-01-2018, 05:40 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post

Cheers,

Damien
To clarify, I meant more fun actually taking photos rather than commenting about other peoples uploaded rotated photos. I'm not fussed if people upload rotated images, as I can download it to my PC and really easy rotate it in a picture viewer if I choose. I agree that not everyone has all the skills to upload perfectly and I do wonder what sort of smart software is available to auto rotate images automatically.

Friday at last!

Have a good one all.
Old 20-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Wavytone

All, after some experimenting with iPhones, iPads. my compacts and M4/3 camera, an assortment of pc laptops at work running XPSP3, win 7 and win 10, and my macs the conclusion I’ve come to is this is NOT the fault of the websites - it has more to do with the software you use to extract the image from the camera and resize/crop/save the image.

JPEG files are more than just a big bitmap - there’s a bunch of parameters (metadata) stored as well. The metadata includes the orientation (ie which way was up) when the photo was taken.

What I’m finding is that some apps - particularly older Microsoft windows apps on XP and some in win 7 - do not use the orientation meta tag properly and worse, if you rotate the image in the PC the correct “up” information is not saved with the file.

Either:

A) try different applications to the one you’re using to extract/crop and rotate an image then upload to IIS - chances are you’ll find one that works.

B) if all else fails get the image the way you want it on screen. Then use ALT-PRINTSCREEN to copy the window, make a new image, paste what you copied and save that. This WILL upload an image in the orientation you had on your screen.

It seems Mac OS X users are better off as image capture, Preview, Finder, iPhoto, Photos and Aperture all get it right.
Old 20-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I'd still like an admin or mod with some knowhow that can answer because in the forum I moderate on we don't have this issue, I'm not that tech savvy to offer a solution but it is extremely annoying
Old 20-01-2018, 11:08 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I'd still like an admin or mod with some knowhow that can answer because in the forum I moderate on we don't have this issue, I'm not that tech savvy to offer a solution but it is extremely annoying

I agree it is annoying to look at and annoying when you can't download the images right way round ,the fix for my ancient iphone 4s was simple as i stated earlier just turn the phone to the left on its side and take the pic ,on that probably every device has its foibles so trial and error is the go as i found out ...
Old 21-01-2018, 08:31 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Weird this has blown out to be such an issue.

Download photo onto PC. Use Windows Image viewer. Rotate image. Close image (on Win 7 and 10 at least it saves the new orientation automatically).

Or, since many of us image, import image into PS, Light Room whatever. Rotate. Save. Done.

All in all, it adds another 30 seconds. And since this seems to bother so many, take the extra time.

I took DJT's RC image. Put it in Windows viewer. Rotated it. Closed it. Uploaded it back for him.