Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 07-01-2018, 04:36 PM
niko

HELP! My telescope doesn't know where it is

This seems like something simple but for the life of me I can't figure it out - hoping the collective wisdom might be able to help.

The basic problem is that when I slew to an object in The Sky 6 the mount sends me close but never exactly there. Even if I slew to 3 objects and sync the scope each time it doesn't seem to compute these syncs and is always off.

The mount is an EQ6 and I'm using EQMOD and The Sk6.

Polar alignment is good and when I re-centre my desired object I can image for 6 minutes or so with a good steady graph in PhD.

It feels like The Sky has the wrong map in its head though location and time are all set correctly.

Last night I tried changing the sync method in EQMOD from Append on sync to Dialog based without any change.

When I park the scope the crosshairs in The Sky say the scope is parked to the west of Crux when I know for a fact that it is pretty much at the pole. So, I tried placing the cursor in that position and syncing the scope in The Sky to the cursor position but I got errors.

Short of deleting all the software and re-installing I'm not quite sure how to get back to square one.

The scope is an ED120 (but I've had the problem before) and is accessed by The Sky using Telescope API.

Any help very gratefully received.

Many thanks

Niko
Old 09-01-2018, 07:09 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi Niko
Have you check all of your long/lat setting both on the hand box and the computer .I once had the wrong GPS on my computer and I was pulling my hair out for a couple of hours until l I found my mistake.
Ian
Old 09-01-2018, 08:02 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Niko,
Just a comment....

Neither CdC, or I'd think The Sky can sync to a random point. They need a "reference" object in their data base to lock onto.
(I found this out when trying to sync on spectroscopic objects)