Old 27-12-2011, 05:20 AM
loc46south (Geoffrey)
loc46south

Expert Advice Needed

Hi all - Mother Christmas was very generous this year - I discovered a Canon 550D under the tree with my name on it.

I don't intent to use the camera for astrophotography as I have a selection of SBIG astro cameras, but even though I have only had the camera for a couple of days I am impressed with it's capabilities - problem is that it only came with the kit 18-55mm IS lens - I would appreciate some advice from those who know on which lens to get (without breaking the bank - I still need to fund my astrophotography) -

Thanks in advance
Geof Wingham
Old 27-12-2011, 06:47 AM
leon

That depends what you want to do Geoff, if it is just for all round shooting may i suggest the Canon 24-105mm, it gives a good range of shooting capabilities.

Leon
Old 27-12-2011, 07:21 AM
loc46south (Geoffrey)
loc46south

Hi Leon - Like to do a bit of portrait type stuff (grandkids etc) and I am also interested in colour, I know that sounds stupid but I am fascinated by the play of light or the flow of colour in objects - be it a landscape or an object. Previously I had a 35mm Film Camera - a Minolta 5Ti and I found that fairly difficult to manage at times - what I am looking for is a couple of lenses that would allow me to explore the capabilities of the camera - the digital medium gives so much freedom over film - the need to get it right first time - every time is not there.

Geof
Old 27-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I'd second Leon's suggestion. The 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is one of the sharpest lenses in my bag. It is a brilliant portrait lens in that it has a much shorter minimum focusing distance than other Canon lenses.

It's a versatile lens, too, making an excellent landscape lens on the 24mm end (on a full frame camera); on your 550D, it might not be wide enough as it is approximately equivalent to 38mm, but, should still allow for scenics.

Colour, contrast, sharpness, image stabilisation, and pleasing bokeh, all in the one lens.

H
Old 27-12-2011, 11:36 AM
gbeal

Stick with the "L" spec lenses Geof, or the Zeiss equivalents (ZE lenses).
Gary
Old 28-12-2011, 05:12 AM
loc46south (Geoffrey)
loc46south

Thanks for the replies and advice - a 24/105 IS USM it is then - I can see this hobby becoming as expensive as astronomy without too much effort.

Cheers
Geof Wingham
Old 28-12-2011, 10:53 PM
naskies (Dave)

Is there something specific you're not happy about with the 18-55 IS? I started with the 18-55 non-IS (it's a dog a lens) and have many, many great photos taken with it.

The 24-105 is the standard walk around lens on my full-frame Canon when I don't have a specific need for something else. 24 mm on crop is a somewhat tight field of view though.

The Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS is pricey but would be my #1 pick for a general-purpose lens on a crop camera. It's optically as good as the 24-70L/24-105L when I've used it, but the build quality isn't as nice as with the L lenses.

In the mean time, I'd definitely recommend adding a 50 mm f/1.8 to your collection - they're a cheap but great way of experiencing wide apertures and shooting under low light conditions.
Old 29-12-2011, 06:52 AM
loc46south (Geoffrey)
loc46south

Lenses

Hi - I went to town yesterday to get a 25/105 lens, neither of the local stockists had one on the shelf and I ended up getting an EF-S 55/250 f4-f5.6 IS - it sort of fits the bill - it allows me to get close up pics without spooking the kids and still OK for general use.

I have ordered a 25/105L Lens off the internet but what I need now more than anything is experience and understanding, the camera knows more about photography than I do - I have also bought a 32 GB card so the camera will get a good workout over the coming months.

Geof Wingham