Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Profiler (Profiler)

I had an interesting experience - I received a lower offer which I decided to turn down and then got a hostile follow-up that my asking price was unreasonable - it was obvious I was dealing with a petulant type who was bitter he couldn't get things his way - a week later I was vindicated in my decision to turn down the offer as another member bought the item no questions/problem at my full asking price.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Solanum

You know, I was actually going to reply to this and apologise for jumping in with two feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
That's fine ...I'm OK with that ... I won't be affected one bit .
BTW ... your name was not even mentioned here ...and in general it was not even aimed at you....I had others who went in below you on price for the same items. ( that's what made me put ' pen to paper ' so to speak.
You have really jumped the gun on this one...... think before you speak .... and yes we were having a ' civil ' conversation via messages....
Let it go, because it appears you have got yourself all bitter and twisted over this..... no offense was ever intended toward you.

It's just a shame that you jumped in and took it upon yourself to be ' offended ' , and self inflicted at that..!!

Hope you have clear skies tonight.

Col....
And then I noticed that you had edited the message from this (as per my email notification):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
That's fine ...I'm OK with that ... I won't be affected one bit .
BTW ... your name was not even mentioned here ... you were silly enough to jump in and ' identify ' yourself.

Hope you have clear skies tonight.

Col....
I am sure you can argue that the disparity between the two responses and the obvious implications (my emphasis above) was not intended, but as we both know the majority of what was in the post that you started this thread with (including the example about half value) was in fact based on our private conversation, and the thread was posted immediately afterwards, so the initial response rings more true to me.

I did jump into this thread with two feet and I wish I hadn't, but I was actually somewhat upset (yes, upset, not "bitter and twisted") that you would have a cordial conversation with me privately and then use that same conversation to complain about people wasting your time with exploitative offers.

It may well be that you have had plenty of those (I see you have sold a lot of stuff, so I imagine that is so), but I do not see how you can class our own interaction in the same way (the details are here for anyone to see), which was honest, not unreasonable and in no way an attempt to get something "on the cheap".

At any rate, I have no intention of continuing this further and I apologise to the other readers for continuing such a petty spat, I should know better by my age!

Everard
Old 09-03-2015, 08:48 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

You just don't get it ...do you.

You decided to ' CLAIM ' I was talking about you ( that's obvious ) .... so I stated that fact it wasn't .... you jumped right in and 'ASSUMED ' I was referring to you.
I will say it again ..... your name or any of our message conversation were NOT mentioned in this thread ANYWHERE......you decided to ' blabber ' on ( WITHOUT A CLEAR HEAD ) saying you were offended ..... why.....where did I implicate you in this thread

At the risk of bringing into play the other 2 members who ' low balled ' me ( even lower than you )...I was not about to drag them into this either... as this was why I started this thread.

and yes ....
you were silly enough to jump in and ' identify ' yourself as one who offered me a low price ... but I kindly said no in our messages.

Your ASSUMPTIONS have only got you ' offside ' by your own consequences of ' reading ' into this thread that I was referring to you.

Think clearly before making any comments that show a lack of sense.

Accept that fact and move on..... because I am.

Mods ... you may lock this thread... I hope I have made myself clear enough...!!

Last edited by FlashDrive; 09-03-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 PM
mr bruess
Stargazer who Posts

I've also had the experience of being offered ridiculously low amounts for some of my items,and I find it a bit offensive,even angry sometimes but i end up ignoring those people.
There is always clowns who will give you low ball offers.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:43 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

I'll buy that for a dollar!
Old 10-03-2015, 05:54 PM
CockneyNutjob

A dollar! Don't be ridiculous, it clearly says $5, so I'll only drop to $3.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:01 PM
casstony

I've got $2 burning a hole in my pocket!

Does the mount come with that?
Old 10-03-2015, 06:10 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

This thread has offcially reached its "use by" date...
Old 10-03-2015, 06:46 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Quote:
This thread has offcially reached its "use by" date...
three pages back for me
Old 10-03-2015, 06:59 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Yeah ... lets close this off Mod's.

Col....
Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

Sorry Col, but I find this post to be 'not in good taste'.

I respect the fact that good quality astronomy gear retains a high proportion of it's retail value when looked after.

However, if someone makes you an offer on an item you're selling and you don't like it, politely decline and move on. That's all that needs to happen.

Taking offense to it and ranting about it on the forum is unproductive, whether you explicitly name the person(s) involved or not. You might argue that you weren't offended, but your choice of words here suggests otherwise.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:49 AM
bobson (Bob)

Col,

You posted here "Private Message" there is a reason its called "Private"

I cant believe moderators allowed you to do that??

Good luck to you!
Closed Thread