Old 18-01-2021, 09:52 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

led street lights

Well ausgrid installed new Led street lights today they said they would be less light and softer ,you are kidding me a supernova has gone off in my front yard and up to observatoy up the side of my house time to move i think
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20210118_213445.jpg)
107.0 KB125 views
Click for full-size image (20210118_213721.jpg)
92.7 KB113 views
Click for full-size image (20210118_213755.jpg)
92.6 KB115 views
Old 18-01-2021, 10:21 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I would complain about that. Looks excessive
Old 18-01-2021, 10:37 PM
glend (Glen)

Alan, ring up AusGrid and complain. They have a number of shielded light fittings that can be used to avoid flooding houses with direct light. They can also direct the light away from your property.
The street light at the end of my driveway burnt out some years ago, and I went out There as soon as I saw them going around the street. Generally they replace faulty ones when they do cleaning runs. The AusGrid guys could not have been nicer, when I explained I had an observatory in the backyard and the old light used to shine towards my bedroom window. They rummaged around in the truck and brought out a shaded directional light, which they then set up to point across to the other side of the street. No more light issues, I just get a bit of lumination on the bottom of my driveway.

It's worth a try.

Geez, I can't believe your luck Alan, first the guy behind you with his spot lights, now this.
Old 18-01-2021, 10:53 PM
TrevorW

Australian standards for street lighting I think say that the light should not intrude on a persons property especially bedroom windows complain to AUSgrid and the Council and if that doesn't work a BB gun will
Old 19-01-2021, 04:52 AM
bojan
amateur

I have similar issue... complained to Council a year ago, they ignored me 100%.
Old 19-01-2021, 05:13 AM
Top_oz (Tim)

AS4282 is the standard for intrusive light. Unfortunately the threshold is so high that I think it is pretty much useless. It seems to be formulated around sleep disturbance without any consideration of any other impact. I have a similar situation where a business is shining a floodlight directly at me, illuminating my entire house and it only just triggers the bedroom level. My photos are very similar to yours.

I'd think Ausgrid should be pretty reasonable about this if you contact them though.
Old 19-01-2021, 05:19 AM
Top_oz (Tim)

Here is mine. As far as I can tell this would be acceptable under the AS if it wasn't hitting a bedroom window. And even then, it's only just over the strictest requirement
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20200930_191625.jpg)
193.8 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (20200930_191546.jpg)
201.1 KB82 views
Old 19-01-2021, 06:56 AM
N1 (Mirko)

That is nasty.
The term "street light" is misleading.
Old 21-01-2021, 05:02 AM
appiice (Ed)

Lights

So, Tim and Allan

How many 300 sec subs did you need to get that level of detail, I use APP but am always looking for a better way,

Your images show a great amount of detail and colour, you must be very happy with the result!

Ed

BTW, I have a neighbor who shines three drive lights at his drive, pity my dome is on the other side of the common fence, I'm thinking of a low power laser............
Old 21-01-2021, 06:23 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
....I'm thinking of a low power laser............
Why stop at low power?

Old 22-01-2021, 04:47 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

Well i have spoken to council and Ausgrid they have said its to be looked at before any decision is to be made stupid thing is how do they tell by looking at it during the day ,the guys from ausgrid that are putting up the new lights said they had covers inthere truck but cannot do anything without permission Tim its not right that we have to live with this just because somebody sets a standard do not know about a laser but a few dabs of black paint might do the trick
Old 22-01-2021, 07:25 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That sucks Alan. I have too much LP to fight back now. I've been fockerized. But there's a bright LED lamp post at the front under my bedroom windows that I've notified the council about. 7 years ago. Bit of black paint on the lens side facing the house does the job.
Old 26-01-2021, 02:32 AM
Top_oz (Tim)

I've had a win. A couple of weeks back I asked the guys across the road if they could adjust their light but I missed the main guy and didn't follow it up. Recently they have decided to turned it off. Thanks to the business for sorting this out, I should have asked sooner!

A huge improvement, now I need to work on the property next door who have every exterior light come on when their security patrol turns up twice a night. But at least they are dark from 9pm.

And a small correction FWIW. AS4282 specifically excludes street lighting and light spill is dealt with under the street lighting standard.
Old 26-01-2021, 05:30 AM
appiice (Ed)

Australian Standard

One of the problems we face ( as a nation ) is we have all these standards that we - and others are supposed to live by, like, can manufacturers have a 10% allowance for speedo accuracy, NSW recently " to fall into line with other States " ( surrrrre!!!!! ) reduced the tolerance on speed cameras to 3%.

If we write to anyone about the injustice of this it would be a more persuasive argument if we could quote the AS number.

One of the things Little Johnie did when he was PM though was to " privatise " the distribution of the standard documents, they used to be available through libraries where us citizens could look at them.

All libraries ( I am happy to be corrected on this ) have stopped stocking the standard due to the costs.

How is this a benefit to the nation, we have these standards but are effectively stopped from accessing them.

Final rant, the people that do the actual work to improve the standard are often industry leaders and in this capacity ( from my experience ) are unpaid. So they work towards improving the living standards of us all for nothing and we then have to pay to access those standards.

Yep, great system.
Old 26-01-2021, 01:13 PM
Top_oz (Tim)

The difficulty accessing standards due to the high cost has been noted. Esp. where a standard is referenced in legislation but not freely available. I think SAIGlobal have a couple of years left on their contract, but after that who knows what will happen. I have read an inquiry that suggested the Commonwealth may as well fund Standards Australia due to the aggregate cost of subscriptions paid for at the various levels of government.

For the most part though, Australian Standards are not mandatory, so it makes bugger all difference if you comply or not.
Old 26-01-2021, 04:29 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Black paint sounds the go if nothing gets fixed
Old 26-01-2021, 05:34 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

Re the speedo thing. The actual hard to get standard is all car speedos must be sold with a tolerance of +1% to -35% for chinese imports. Most other countries are +0% to - 20%, so if your sold a car with the speedo reading low, you can pass the fine on to the dealership provided you did not modify it. E.g. Volkswagons tend to be 8% fast. Greatwall utes 27% fast.

Hand held speed radars are good to a practical tolerance of +-0.2kmph when facing flat to the front of a car. Any angle and the reading is shifted. So they tend to be placed on the leading edge of a curve so your heading dead on to them.

About accessing standards. Most university libraries have unlimited access to view them. But not print them. However you can hit up TAFE's for printing though the selection might ve more limited to trade related standards. Usually the easier way is visit your council building and ask. 95% chance they have some local standard that is not accesible online.
Old 26-01-2021, 06:54 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
Final rant, the people that do the actual work to improve the standard are often industry leaders and in this capacity ( from my experience ) are unpaid. So they work towards improving the living standards of us all for nothing and we then have to pay to access those standards.

Yep, great system.
I was on the AS2805 technical committee, which established the messaging format and interchange structure for Electronic Funds Transfer system set up by the five gateway banks in Australia (ANZ, CBA, NAB, SBN and SBV) back in the 1980s & early 90s.. I was the State Bank of NSW representative (SBN). I can confirm that technical managers from the gateway banks were in fact paid by their respective bank employers for their work on AS2805, as it occurred during normal working hours.
As is usual for employees, intellectual property developed during employment, usually belongs to the institution. Professional all understand this.
Now while the establishment of Australian Standards was a great thing for the nation, privatisation of the Standards entity and forcing it into a commercial footing, was a big failure by the federal government of the day. Thus, as an outcome, we are forced to pay to access the detailed Standards documents.