ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

How do you guys do visual and imaging?

Hi all,
With my renewed interest in visual/telescope making, I have to ask how you guys do visual and imaging at the same time?
When imaging I feel like I have to babysit the setup, which completely ruins night vision
Also at the moment I'm almost finding visual more rewarding and fun than imaging! How do you guys stay interested in imaging because it can be so unrewarding?
Thanks!
Old 23-09-2018, 07:33 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

No problem at all.
My camera is just automatically running with the Pixel release timer in 'timelapse mode' actually shooting frames and at the same time I observe visually with another telescope or binoculars.
No ruin of night vision as I use a dim red headlight when I need light or an Android screen with a red foil over it when I need a star chart.
I do not use laptops or other light emitting equipment, just my Super Polaris + tracker + Canon 6D + (lens or telescope) + release timer. The blue LEDs of my powerbank (for powering the tracker) I have covered.
Old 23-09-2018, 07:35 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Logan, Logan, Logan...

Set up Dob. Let it cool.

Set up imaging rig. Let it cool.

Set up laptop etc for imaging.

Polar align the imaging rig.

Set up whatever sequence you run for imaging. I use MaxIM DL6, so it does EVERYTHING in one package (no need for PHD or Sequence Generator Pro etc etc etc).

Focus imaging scope - bahtinov, autofocuser, whatever.

Start imaging run. I do 30min sequences at a time, pausing after those 30 minutes (3 x 10 min subs for me) to refocus (the FSQ shifts focus a bit per ° drop/increase in temperature).

During those 30 minutes, go use the Dob, if it has acclimated. Collimate it if necessary.

Done.

No need to baby sit an imaging rig. I don't automate ANYTHING except the sequence and guiding, and I go inside for the 30 minutes and watch the Idiot Box, look after the kids etc etc.
Old 23-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
No problem at all.
My camera is just automatically running with the Pixel release timer in 'timelapse mode' actually shooting frames and at the same time I observe visually with another telescope or binoculars.
No ruin of night vision as I use a dim red headlight when I need light or an Android screen with a red foil over it when I need a star chart.
I do not use laptops or other light emitting equipment, just my Super Polaris + tracker + Canon 6D + (lens or telescope) + release timer. The blue LEDs of my powerbank (for powering the tracker) I have covered.
I can only wish for my imaging to be that simple again
Old 23-09-2018, 08:15 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Logan, Logan, Logan...

Set up Dob. Let it cool.

Set up imaging rig. Let it cool.

Set up laptop etc for imaging.

Polar align the imaging rig.

Set up whatever sequence you run for imaging. I use MaxIM DL6, so it does EVERYTHING in one package (no need for PHD or Sequence Generator Pro etc etc etc).

Focus imaging scope - bahtinov, autofocuser, whatever.

Start imaging run. I do 30min sequences at a time, pausing after those 30 minutes (3 x 10 min subs for me) to refocus (the FSQ shifts focus a bit per ° drop/increase in temperature).

During those 30 minutes, go use the Dob, if it has acclimated. Collimate it if necessary.

Done.

No need to baby sit an imaging rig. I don't automate ANYTHING except the sequence and guiding, and I go inside for the 30 minutes and watch the Idiot Box, look after the kids etc etc.
Good plan!

>30 mins

There goes night vision!
Old 23-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Also, maybe even not bringing the imaging setup to single night star parties?
Can't really get enough data on single nights anyway for a good image...
Old 23-09-2018, 08:56 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Pick your target right and you can get plenty of data. I manage 3 hrs easily per target (if picked right) and I have major obstacles - trees, house....

You'd be surprised what you can make out of 3 hrs from a dark sky.

Now as to ruining your night vision, just download and use the KnightVision app (turns your screen whatever colour you want, but has presets for deep red etc) and turn the monitor brightness as low as it goes. Cover it with a red rubylith IF you want - I never have and my night vision is fine. In between, just cover the laptop monitor with a pillowcase or towel or whatever.

http://knightware.biz/knightvision/knightvision.htm

No need to over complicate the REALLY simple.
Old 23-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I find myself doing both sometimes but it depends on the night. Some nights I do a fair bit of visual while I am out imaging and other nights I don't. For me one of the big ones is what the seeing conditions are light. Most of the time my imaging is being done from Melbourne so seeing is what determines whether or not I'll be doing visual.

If I go to a dark site, moon phase determines what I'll be doing.
Old 24-09-2018, 07:10 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Did that once. Someone lent me his dob after going to bed. One thing leading to an other I ended up doing visual most of the night and forgot about the imaging I had going.
Old 24-09-2018, 08:44 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Get an eye patch.
Alex
Old 24-09-2018, 10:51 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Get an eye patch.
Alex

+1

Used mine so often now it actually needs replacing soon (well, the rubber band does). Quite funky taking it off when it's dark again, feels like the other eye has a patch on it...

Edit: Slightly OT Logan, but I suggest you enjoy as much visual observing while your eyes are still young. AP will get better and better in future but your eyes unfortunately won't.

Last edited by N1; 24-09-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 24-09-2018, 06:54 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Visual and imaging is easy, just look at the picture on your laptop screen