Nice one Col, she only let go of the steering wheel once and didn't crash, LOL

Leon
Old 14-02-2018, 02:40 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

And the OP's point is?
Old 14-02-2018, 03:06 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Girls can handle big Jets .... good on them.
There are female ' fighter pilots ' in the USAF .... well done

Col ....
Old 14-02-2018, 06:56 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post

Col ....
Big? 737? Big? You been next to one, let alone IN one lately Col? Tin Can is more apt.

Old expression for 2 girls in a cockpit, but here is not the place
Old 14-02-2018, 08:00 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Big? 737? Big? You been next to one, let alone IN one lately Col? Tin Can is more apt.

Old expression for 2 girls in a cockpit, but here is not the place
What about the Dream Liner ....couple of ' babes ' in control.
Old 14-02-2018, 09:40 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post

Col ....
At 25 years of age 'girls' teach classrooms full of kids, are doctors (and nurses), drive buses, trains and trucks and so on. The only reason that it took so long for women to fly commercial aircraft was because a bunch of ignorant men didn't think that 'Girls' were capable.
Greg.
Old 15-02-2018, 06:39 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taminga16 View Post
At 25 years of age 'girls' teach classrooms full of kids, are doctors (and nurses), drive buses, trains and trucks and so on. The only reason that it took so long for women to fly commercial aircraft was because a bunch of ignorant men didn't think that 'Girls' were capable.
Greg.
Old 15-02-2018, 11:18 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

http://www.smh.com.au/national/melbo...25-10lxn1.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Lawrie

Deborah is still flying - now with TigerAir. "At Tiger Air, 13 of the 185 pilots are female. Six of the 13 are captains, which is a very high proportion"
Old 15-02-2018, 11:18 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
The only reason that it took so long for women to fly commercial aircraft was because a bunch of ignorant men didn't think that 'Girls' were capable.
Greg.
My point exactly .... girls are capable of many challenges.

Col ....
Old 15-02-2018, 11:38 AM
raymo

Greg, your comment is partly right, but men have known for many years that
women are just as capable of flying any kind of aircraft. They used to
ferry fighters and bombers from the factories in Canada to the U.K. during
W.W.2. The Russians had numerous female fighter pilots, and the Germans
had a few. Men didn't think women were incapable, they just wanted to
retain what was seen as a male enclave, swashbuckling hero pilots and
all that.
raymo
Old 15-02-2018, 12:52 PM
Exfso (Peter)

When I was in Katherine Cyclone Tracy time, there was a regional carrier that operated in the NT called Connair. There was a lady pilot that was in command of a DC3, boy she was exceptionally professional, and really knew her stuff. Looked bloody funny prancing around on the wing of the DC3 with engine cowlings up checking oil etc. She actually wore a skirt which was a bit of a challenge for her doing that sort of stuff, but it was part of the uniform at the time I believe. That was 45 years ago
Her name was Christine Davy, here are some shots from that era.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Female+connair+pilot+in+19 70's&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GUEA_enAU640US640&tbm=isc h&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=A7FJ0QJTzKeF lM%253A%252CDcjRv5godwkyVM%252C_&us g=__zPu6DEWPXHqGJps4-F8O7GDqCVc%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwip0vC R9qbZAhVFoJQKHUqDBaYQ9QEIPjAF#imgrc =A7FJ0QJTzKeFlM:
Old 15-02-2018, 01:00 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Peter,

My father was a pilot on the Doves for the NT Aerial Medical Service at that time (I was born in Alice in '73, and my original birth certificate got blown to Timbuktu with Tracy), and was the first aircraft into Darwin after Tracy.

He of course was shoulder to shoulder with Connair (the first aircraft I ever flew was a Connair QueenAir at the age of 3 day - my father handed me to the pilot enroute, and I immediately wrapped my hand around the yoke - or so the family story goes ). My father was also on scene at Alice when the Baron was crashed deliberately into the hangar.
Old 15-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Small world Lewis. Yeah Connair had a nickname of the Canary Coloured C carriers, a nick that would be disallowed today. I remember the first aircraft into Darwin and communicated with him from Katherine Flight Service, his description of the scene at the time was quite vivid. We had to get a special dispensation for him the fly in, man what a crazy time that was, never worked so hard in my life. There was no ATC as such and we did all the comms via HF on the ground in Darwin as obviously all the facilities were wrecked. This made for a nightmare when the actual evacuation started, traffic was a nightmare, and flight plans were submitted ad hoc over the radio as aircraft were taxying and getting airborne. It was continuous flights to and from Darwin to points south and east, and the airforce had all its C130's doing their stuff as well. How there were not mid-air incidents was amazing, obviously we got the traffic right and the pilots did the right thing. It certainly was a baptism of fire for me as I had only been doing the job for 4 years. I actually opened up shop at Katherine on Xmas day 1974 to the sound of a F27 circling the town at 5.00am trying to attract attention as he had tried to get into Darwin from Alice Springs and could not, for obvious reasons, and there was no stations opened to communicate with. It was just the fact that I was due to start at 5am and heard an aircraft circling the town an hour or so before, that I smelt a rat and raced out to the 'drome and opened up. The F27 was on fumes when he landed at Tindal which was the alternate for Darwin. There was no Pilot activated lighting then or at least none at either Katherine or Tindal.
From memory we took over 200 flight plans via both VHF and HF on one day when the evacuation got into full swing, not bad for 4 staff I reckon.
I still have the tape transcript for the first 2 days after Tracy, it makes for very interesting reading, it is a couple of hundred pages long
Old 16-02-2018, 04:06 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I'll give my father a call later and ask which rego he was flying - I THINK it may have been Delta Hotel Delta - but will validate.

I think I have told you before, but my cousin Raeleen had been an FSO for over 40 years - she only recently retired. She used to be in Townsville, but then moved to Brisbane. I used to speak to her quite often on VHF.

Last edited by LewisM; 16-02-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 16-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Hi Lewis, nope, don't recall that, but the old memory plays tricks occasionally which is to be expected.
Old 22-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Bullockbob (Rob)

Quote:
Greg.
Not sure what era you are coming from but i learnt to fly at school many, many years ago and a large proportion of aeronautics students were female. Many went on to various commercial flying roles. Didnt notice any ignorant men, indeed females were being actively encouraged.
Old 22-02-2018, 12:56 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullockbob View Post
Not sure what era you are coming from but i learnt to fly at school many, many years ago and a large proportion of aeronautics students were female. Many went on to various commercial flying roles. Didnt notice any ignorant men, indeed females were being actively encouraged.
I think people of Greg's era may well remember the BS put up by Reg Ansett at hiring Deb Lawrie - lots of it was pure chauvinism and contrite bollocks.

I've flown with and by many female pilots - not one bit of fear or trepidation. I taught 7 women how to fly - 2 now are captains in SIA. One of my instructors back in flying school days was a Grade 1 FI and MAN could she fly (as well as being one drop dead gorgeous woman!!!!!! I enjoyed every Navex we ever did - was hard to concentrate on the map when she was there )