Old 24-12-2017, 12:18 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Gamma volantis.

Was looking at my usual clusters and doubles around Crux . Then decided to revisit this cracker of a double ..EXTREMELY UNDERRATED AND BRIGHT..GAMMA VOLANTIS .
07h*08m*42.38187sDeclination−70°*29 ′*49.5073″ Fantastic.

Separation is ...
14.1" MAGS 3.68 , 5.68 ..Gold/ Blue ..to me.. SAO 256374 ..Can use Binos, but loves power ..crank it up..used doublet Refractor of 6" , and one of my good" B" EPs a TS DUAL ED 3.2....Black sky , sharp , and nicely framed...top EP for the budget conscious; give both a go if you can.
PS:Its not far from the False Cross.

bigjoe

Last edited by bigjoe; 24-12-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Add
Old 24-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Always appreciate your posts Joe, I enjoy observing double / multiple stars also. Usually with 127 or 150mm refractors and orthos' and often will target a constellation for the session and refer to my many observing lists for suitable targets within.
Gamma Volantis is great double , as you have noted. Brightness , colour and separation make it a standout for southern observers. Kappa is a wide triplet suitable to smaller apertures and Epsilon at 4.4 / 7.3 m and 6.0 * sep. is another nice target. Many more , of course to whet the appetite.

Cheers
Old 24-12-2017, 06:03 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Always appreciate your posts Joe, I enjoy observing double / multiple stars also. Usually with 127 or 150mm refractors and orthos' and often will target a constellation for the session and refer to my many observing lists for suitable targets within.
Gamma Volantis is great double , as you have noted. Brightness , colour and separation make it a standout for southern observers. Kappa is a wide triplet suitable to smaller apertures and Epsilon at 4.4 / 7.3 m and 6.0 * sep. is another nice target. Many more , of course to whet the appetite.

Cheers
Great to hear this Jeff.
Yes there are more great doubles..much more ...and a great way to test your optics..just wish there were more interested as on Cloudy Nights ..has its own dedicated Double Star section...as I would report and post much more frequently.
Merry Xmas to you
bigjoe
Old 24-12-2017, 09:27 PM
rrussell1962

Thanks for reminding me about that one Joe. I was just taking a break to refill the glass when I saw your post so had a look. Lovely double. One of those ones that's not a challenge, but just makes you say to yourself "oooh, aren't you lovely" On to Beta Mon next I think.
Old 24-12-2017, 10:31 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
Thanks for reminding me about that one Joe. I was just taking a break to refill the glass when I saw your post so had a look. Lovely double. One of those ones that's not a challenge, but just makes you say to yourself "oooh, aren't you lovely" On to Beta Mon next I think.
Exactly my sentiments Rus.
Most wouldnt even know that the brightest star in the Southern Cross is a great triple , as is Beta Monocerotis , a favorite one of William Herschel (of Uranus, Infra Red fame etc ) .
Merry Xmas..bigjoe

Last edited by bigjoe; 24-12-2017 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Add
Old 24-12-2017, 11:37 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Dare I say it, so many doubles and so little time. What Observing Guides, Astro Atlas' , Planetarium programs etc. do you all use for double star observing.
My resources include The Cambridge Double Star Atlas, Double Stars for Small Telescopes by Sissy Haas, Burnhams Celestial Handbook . Programs include Carte du Ciel, Starry Night Pro 4.5 and off the web, The 350 Bright Double Star Catalogue and also Ross Goulds' page in Aust Sky & Telescope always lists something of interest.

Cheers and merry xmas to all.
Old 25-12-2017, 07:56 AM
rrussell1962

There'a a couple of old books that I've found to be quite useful for getting ideas on double stars by constellation. Pleasures of the telescope, celestial objects for common telescopes, half hours with the telescope. Fun to read and nice descriptions. Sissy Haas is a goldmine - pencilling in the SAO numbers to make things easier next time, Norton's is also useful for making up short lists of nice doubles in a particular area of the sky. I stopped off at 145CMa on the way to Beta Mon last night and was struck by how similar the colours were to Gamma Volantis, well to my eyes at least.
Old 25-12-2017, 11:06 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Dare I say it, so many doubles and so little time. What Observing Guides, Astro Atlas' , Planetarium programs etc. do you all use for double star observing.
My resources include The Cambridge Double Star Atlas, Double Stars for Small Telescopes by Sissy Haas, Burnhams Celestial Handbook . Programs include Carte du Ciel, Starry Night Pro 4.5 and off the web, The 350 Bright Double Star Catalogue and also Ross Goulds' page in Aust Sky & Telescope always lists something of interest.

Cheers and merry xmas to all.
I often use Lists Ive compiled over years or the wonderful Stelledoppie website which has all the info on doubles youll ever need.
bigjoe.
Old 25-12-2017, 11:08 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
There'a a couple of old books that I've found to be quite useful for getting ideas on double stars by constellation. Pleasures of the telescope, celestial objects for common telescopes, half hours with the telescope. Fun to read and nice descriptions. Sissy Haas is a goldmine - pencilling in the SAO numbers to make things easier next time, Norton's is also useful for making up short lists of nice doubles in a particular area of the sky. I stopped off at 145CMa on the way to Beta Mon last night and was struck by how similar the colours were to Gamma Volantis, well to my eyes at least.
Lists also on Eaglecreek observatory website
And Stelledoppie...also use Skyportal ... Wi-fi on my AVX
Merry Xmas.. bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 25-12-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Add
Old 25-12-2017, 01:39 PM
rrussell1962

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'll check them out. Merry Christmas and all the best for 2018.
Old 25-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Yes, also have the Eagle Creek Observatory lists as well, not to mention those listed in the revised Hartungs and for the ultimate hit , the WDS, the Astronomical League Double Star Club list is another that I've used for a quick tour of easier doubles.
Old 25-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Had heard of Stella Doppie before but had never checked the site, which I've just been to and it seems to cover everything the in WDS and is easier to navigate. How comprehensive a list do we practicably need to be satisfied !
Old 25-12-2017, 10:42 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Had heard of Stella Doppie before but had never checked the site, which I've just been to and it seems to cover everything the in WDS and is easier to navigate. How comprehensive a list do we practicably need to be satisfied !
So true Jeff ; yet so few know about it!!..all the favorites, and a search of any doubles PA and Separation etc, and at your fingertips!
bigjoe.