Old 03-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

No more MDF!

Frustrated by the weather slowing progress on obs building, looked for some weekend project to keep busy. Everybody knows the drawbacks of the dreaded MDF Dob mount, so went to the "lost projects" shelf. 2 x trailer Ford stub axles and Landcruiser hubs, and some L/Cruiser worn discs being kept for a heater. Raided the bolt box and found some ply cutoffs. Steel offcuts came in handy, as did a couple of shelf brackets for strength. The first pics are the fork mount in my little "astropark" just to the rear of the house, quick access. Not the prettiest unit, but app. 900mm into rock, handles 85kg (me) and no more dew and damp worries. As luck will have it, focuser at perfect height when at zenith. Will replace ply "ears" with urethane, and decorative gravel between the two mounts when time permits. 2 bolts mounts fork to flange (upside down disc) and we're in business, 5 mins. Still having time and material on hand, decided to do an "off-road" travelling mount (for when I'm banished from the roped off Tak area at starparties!) Basically same as for fixed mount, but found some 2" post caps for feet, which also nicely locate some great little alloy jackstands which are stabilised by tent pegs if worried. Also supports my weight whilst spinning. So, no more wrestling with the old mount, just the 2 bolts and fit the OTA..............an end to excuses for not having a quick peek when this damn weather ends!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMGP0039.JPG)
132.9 KB100 views
Click for full-size image (IMGP0040.JPG)
129.8 KB95 views
Click for full-size image (IMGP0041.JPG)
116.4 KB104 views
Click for full-size image (IMGP0037.JPG)
167.0 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (IMGP0044.JPG)
144.2 KB91 views

Last edited by Boozlefoot; 03-12-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I don't think I've ever seen a pier mounted dob before, looks fascinating!