Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 29-08-2012, 12:33 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
Is there any significant advantage to the clip in system as opposed to the t-thread filter?
Don't know. At present I use a Pentax camera so I use the 48mm threaded filters. One advantage of the threaded filters is that they will work with everything, not just Canon.
Old 29-08-2012, 01:00 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
Don't know. At present I use a Pentax camera so I use the 48mm threaded filters. One advantage of the threaded filters is that they will work with everything, not just Canon.
That's what I'm thinking, plus I guess you could use for visual use too ..
Old 29-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
From memory I think the CLS CCD has an integrated UV and IR blocker where the plain CLS doesn't. For an unmodified DSLR use the plain CLS as the camera's stock filter already blocks UV/IR.
I have read that somewhere else as well and was thinking along the same lines, but on the Astronomic website it clearly says the cls-ccd is better for even unmodded dslr's and the plain cls is mainly for visual, so I am a little confused. On the links below scroll down to the suitability section on each page and have a read. It says that the cls is good for unmodded dslr's but the cls-ccd is very good for unmodded dslr's. Some input regarding this from some of you guys who actually use the filters would be great.
Thanks

http://www.astronomik.com/en/photogr...ls-filter.html

http://www.astronomik.com/en/photogr...cd-filter.html
Old 29-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Rex,

I thought the same thing, but somewhere else, or even here, I got the advice to get the CLS only and not the CCD version. I think its because as mentioned, the unmodded DSLR has a UVIR filter still in it, so the CLS-CCD with its IR filter is not needed.

Check out my pic on post #3 for what the EOS Clip CLS can do with my 1000D which is unmodded.

Cheers

Chris
Old 29-08-2012, 10:17 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
... but on the Astronomic website it clearly says the cls-ccd is better for even unmodded dslr's and the plain cls is mainly for visual, so I am a little confused.

http://www.astronomik.com/en/photogr...ls-filter.html

http://www.astronomik.com/en/photogr...cd-filter.html
That's not how I read it. And I think the word "very" good was added by mistook.

Keep in mind there's a couple of DSLR mods. One replaces the onboard filter with another filter that still blocks UV/IR but has higher red transmission (astro modified) and the other mod replaces the filter with a clear one (MC modified). Or something like that.

The MC modified, along with CCD's will need the CLS-CCD.

For an unmodified DSLR, I could be wrong but I think they would happily take either, but only need the CLS.
Old 30-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Rex

Thanks Chris and Kevin. Kevin I did some more research and I think your right about an unmodded camera can take either. I have attached the light curves for the cls, cls-ccd and the original canon uv/ir filters below for comparison. It appears as you said that the cls-ccd and cls are almost identicle apart from the cls-ccd blocking uv/ir. If i am reading the graphs correctly though the canon uv/ir filter blocks out more of it than the cls-ccd so therefore the cls-ccd and cls filter will basically have the same result in an unmodded camera. The reason I am still tossing up between the two is that my canon 1100d was bought purely for astro work and I will eventually get it modified as funds etc become available. So if I am reading them correctly, if I get the cls-ccd it will work well both now and when I get it modified. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. The Canon is on the left, the cls is in the middle and the cls-ccd is on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Overlay.jpg)
193.5 KB26 views
Old 30-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Yep, spot on Rex.

Buy a CLS-CCD now and then when you mod the 1100, it will work for that too.

I must admit, when I found out that my unmodded 1000D would do just fine with the cheaper CLS, I simply bought that instead of the dearer CLS-CCD, because I had other things to buy at the time like the Bahtinov mask, the DBK21AU618 and the dew heater....Kaching!

Cheers

Chris
Old 31-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Rex

Thanks for your help Chris. I here ya about other things to buy. It's a never ending hole in the pocket, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Garbz (Chris)

Well timely, a Meade #911B has popped up from a local person here on the forum. I'll get that and see how I go. Worst case I can always sell it