Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

A request to the Astrophotographers.

Howdy

there seems to be alot of people asking about the best camera to use etc. i myself have asked, although i like to google as much as i can first, alot of the trouble is knowing what it all means, i have recently only found out what 'live view' is. Can someone drawup something like a sticky (of course this is up to 'them up there' and i apologise if i am overstepping the mark here) that talks about different cameras, with maybe a table to reference them to each other, so us photography n00bs can look and think 'ok, that one has this feature, this one doesnt' and TBH it would save 1000's of instances of the same thread asking 'what camera should i get' and it could be updated with new models etc.

cheers

Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

No need to reinvent the wheel. dpreview.com has a very, very, very comprehensive camera database. You just need to use the comparison feature (side-by-side) which shows you all you'd ever want to know about any camera.

In general, however:

If you're on a budget: Canon 350D (modified). If you can afford it: Canon 40D (modified).

Put a Canon to your head. You deserve it.

End of discussion.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
No need to reinvent the wheel. dpreview.com has a very, very, very comprehensive camera database. You just need to use the comparison feature (side-by-side) which shows you all you'd ever want to know about any camera.

In general, however:

If you're on a budget: Canon 350D (modified). If you can afford it: Canon 40D (modified).

Put a Canon to your head. You deserve it.

End of discussion.

Regards,
Humayun

good advice fella, but i was more looking for something comparing models with a slant to Astronphotgraphy

like the fundemental differences between a 350D and 40D, and what exactly has been modified?

would be better if this kinda stuff was laid out in a table for all to see, rather than forum posts.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Gama

A good person to chat with is Cometguy.
He knows his cameras and has read many a review. He would be the best to point you to data and what it all means.
He knows his stuff, as ive posted a few with him in the past, and he has a excellent understanding.

Theo
Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Another newbie input

After investing a fair bunch in scope hardware and observatory, I decided to go a little modestly in the camera dep't and got a Canon 1000d. $699 for the body but I got it with the twin lens kit for $830 at JB. I thought the lenses would be good if I wanted to do happy snaps as well.

For an extra $200 or so, the 450d is probably a better buy for astro, though. Although a dedicated cooled CCD imager may be better for some.

My thoughts on the astro side of things were that I would get started with a colour DSLR that had Liveview, then later I could give it to my kids and upgrade to modded mono 450D with filters etc, after I see if I have any talent and long term interest in this aspect of the hobby.

I placed a great deal on the Liveview function and have now bolted the camera directly to the back of the C8 and and can look, focus and drive it from the PC in my observatory. I don't need diagonals, flip mirrors, anything. I like this function very much.

Later If I go mono, again, I can just bolt the filters etc directly to the scope. Well, at least that's the plan....