Old 23-02-2013, 08:03 PM
h0ughy (David)

ZWO120mm questions - problems

ok i got my second ZWO120MM yesterday. the ruddy thing wouldn't work on two separate machines with new software loaded, one win 7 and the other windows 8. both win64 machines. the error was a HDD full message when just looking at the preview, also wouldn't find the camera (USB)

now put that same camera on a machine that was working with the camera i already had and it worked? go figure that one out - i cant?

so then i updated the usb 2 driver to the new 2.0.0.216 from the 1.0.0.1229 hoping to upspec the software so i can get the 30fps it says it can do at full res. it was a marked improvement over the v1 where i could only get at best 2.3fps to being able to get 14.7 on sharpcap and somehow get 31.7 on firecap2.2beta. now why is there this level of difference?

mind you both are vast improvements over the 2.3 i was getting
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Capture 23_02_2013 7_49_47 PM.jpg)
55.7 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (firecap22betasetting.jpg)
198.4 KB50 views
Old 23-02-2013, 11:28 PM
allan gould

Dave
Why are you using Firecapture? Apparently SharpCap is the better utility to give full speed for this camera. There was something about altering the settings in Firecapture to get full fps with this camera.
Allan
Old 23-02-2013, 11:33 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
Dave
Why are you using Firecapture? Apparently SharpCap is the better utility to give full speed for this camera. There was something about altering the settings in Firecapture to get full fps with this camera.
Allan
Allan i am not - only loaded it for the first time tonight - honest. when i tried to test this over at scotts place we couldnt get the programme to regognise the camera (both programmes) mind you its the only one that has given me a full 30 odd fps, sharpcap (the one i am using all the time now) did not. i captured everything as max - which was 2.3 to start with then i managed to get 14 odd fps after the driver update. i am buggered if i can get a full 30fps at full res in sharpcap
Old 24-02-2013, 12:12 AM
allan gould

Let me have a fiddle with my camera tomorrow and I'll get back to you as I'm sure at fill image I've had 30fps with Sharpcap. I think it also has something to do with the settings used and the speed the camera is set at. I'll do some frame grabs for you.
Allan
Old 24-02-2013, 03:52 AM
h0ughy (David)

Ok but I know the I can get the roi to achieve that. It's the full res I want
Old 24-02-2013, 01:49 PM
allan gould

David
See attached image.
I just updated the ZWO driver (ASI120MM_Setup V2.0.0.216) to the latest and am using the latest sharpcap software 1.5.346 and easily got 30fps at max image size.
Im sure I got this with the previous ZWO driver
Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Houghy.jpg)
186.1 KB38 views
Old 24-02-2013, 02:32 PM
h0ughy (David)

thanks Alan - i rebooted the machine twice and then i tried it again. guess what - i got what you did. I have no idea why that didnt happen yesterday?
Old 24-02-2013, 02:38 PM
allan gould

Thats good Dave.
Allan
Old 24-02-2013, 05:26 PM
h0ughy (David)

just retried in windows 8 - no go - see part of theerror

SharpCap, Version=1.5.0.344, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '33000' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
at System.Windows.Forms.TrackBar.set_V alue(Int32 value)
at SharpCap.UI.PropertySlider`2.Update UIFromProperty() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\P ropertySlider.cs:line 114
at SharpCap.UI.PropertySlider`2.Initia lizeProperty() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\P ropertySlider.cs:line 99
at SharpCap.UI.PropertySlider`2.Initia lize(TInterface property) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\P ropertySlider.cs:line 80
at SharpCap.UI.ControlForm.BuildContro lBox(String category) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\C ontrolForm.cs:line 233
at SharpCap.UI.ControlForm.InitControl s(CaptureControl control, String deviceName, IFocuserProxy focuser) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\C ontrolForm.cs:line 302
at SharpCap.UI.SharpCapForm.OnStartPre view() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\S harpCapForm.cs:line 1382
at SharpCap.UI.SharpCapForm.m_impl_OnC aptureEvent(Object sender, CaptureEventArgs e) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\S harpCapForm.cs:line 157
at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.Curre nt_OnCaptureEvent(Object sender, CaptureEventArgs e) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\Mult iCaptureProvider.cs:line 428
at SharpCap.DirectShow.DirectShowCaptu re.m_cap_OnPreviewStart(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap.Dire ctShow\DirectShow\DirectShowCapture .cs:line 464
at SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.StartPr eview() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap.Dire ctShow\DirectShow\Capture.cs:line 1301
at SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.BuildGr aphAndStartPreview() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap.Dire ctShow\DirectShow\Capture.cs:line 1699
at SharpCap.DirectShow.DirectShowCaptu re.StartPreview() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap.Dire ctShow\DirectShow\DirectShowCapture .cs:line 168
at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.Start Preview() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\Mult iCaptureProvider.cs:line 317
at SharpCap.UI.SharpCapForm.StartPrevi ewOnSelectedDeviceLoadingDefaultPro file() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\S harpCapForm.cs:line 524
at SharpCap.UI.SharpCapForm.deviceMenu ItemClick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\S harpCapForm.cs:line 1120
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem. RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuI tem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem. HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem. HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem. FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem. FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMo useUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropD own.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMous eUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndPro c(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableCont rol.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndP roc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropD own.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Contro lNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Contro lNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.C allback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

=================================== ============================
Application Log (from start)
Old 24-02-2013, 08:23 PM
allan gould

Don't you just luuuuuuuuv Microsoft?
Windoze 8 just so you can't go backwards.
I think you can use Virtualdub in Whine8 with the ASI
I'm using win7 32 bit on my laptop
Allan
Old 24-02-2013, 08:36 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
Don't you just luuuuuuuuv Microsoft?
Windoze 8 just so you can't go backwards.
I think you can use Virtualdub in Whine8 with the ASI
I'm using win7 32 bit on my laptop
Allan
yeah bugville
Old 24-02-2013, 11:05 PM
h0ughy (David)

may have found the major problem - the driver is not digitally signed and as such win8 wont load it
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (driver-problems-win8.jpg)
49.6 KB22 views
Old 25-02-2013, 02:08 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
may have found the major problem - the driver is not digitally signed and as such win8 wont load it
signed driver == cash grab by M$
every time a driver gets changed M$ want them to pay for a new signature.

Can't you tell Windoze to load the unsigned driver at boot? Is that something you have to do every time you boot?
Old 25-02-2013, 02:51 PM
wenjha (Sam)

Win8 need to reboot into the mode where it doesn't check for driver signatures
follow this
http://tivadj-tech.blogspot.co.uk/20...nstalling.html

here is a new driver:V2.0.0.217 fixed some bug of V2.0.0.216
Old 25-02-2013, 09:33 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenjha View Post
Win8 need to reboot into the mode where it doesn't check for driver signatures
follow this
http://tivadj-tech.blogspot.co.uk/20...nstalling.html

here is a new driver:V2.0.0.217 fixed some bug of V2.0.0.216
Sam I followed all the setup direction and I got the camera to work.

now here is an interesting thing - its way way faster on a win7 machine than the win8 one, very similar specs. I get 31.5fps on win7 and only 14.6fps in windows 8 using the new V2 driver using sharpcap 1.50344
Old 28-02-2013, 11:19 AM
SpaceNoob (Chris)
Atlas Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Sam I followed all the setup direction and I got the camera to work.

now here is an interesting thing - its way way faster on a win7 machine than the win8 one, very similar specs. I get 31.5fps on win7 and only 14.6fps in windows 8 using the new V2 driver using sharpcap 1.50344
Funny thing is that mine runs even faster in a windows VM on my macbook pro.

I noticed this when I switched from using different laptops. Both very similar specs. There are allot of variables with windows machines, the hardware configurations have differences. Different bus, chipset, driver etc, all have minor differences. You'll mostly notice differences when certain hardware is pushing particular protocols to their absolute limits - in this case, that is USB 2.0. Any overhead (be it software or hardware inconsistencies) will have a noticeable impact to throughput.