Old 23-02-2020, 04:54 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Green Swamp Server

Just came across this alternative to EQMOD this afternoon. Anyone here using it yet? It looks like it will have some nice functionality including auto home and PPEC training.

https://sites.google.com/view/greenswamp/home
Old 23-02-2020, 05:01 PM
h0ughy (David)

Never seen it before, looks interesting though
Old 23-02-2020, 09:15 PM
h0ughy (David)

just watching the videos now - looks great for the observatory and setting limits
Old 24-02-2020, 09:27 AM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

I’ve been using it for nearly 2 months.
Admittedly, I used this instead of learning eqmod because I only just started imaging with my EQ6 Pro for the first time, despite having owned it for nearly 10 years.

I’ve found it perfect, integrates really well with what I’m using.

It’s still got gaps (no pec yet), but highly engaged developer and community.

The groups.io forum for it is great. I suggested a tweak, and the author made it within a week.
Old 24-02-2020, 07:08 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_pascale View Post
I’ve been using it for nearly 2 months.
Admittedly, I used this instead of learning eqmod because I only just started imaging with my EQ6 Pro for the first time, despite having owned it for nearly 10 years.

I’ve found it perfect, integrates really well with what I’m using.

It’s still got gaps (no pec yet), but highly engaged developer and community.

The groups.io forum for it is great. I suggested a tweak, and the author made it within a week.
Rob, what camera control software are you using?
Old 25-02-2020, 11:07 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

I'm running APT at the moment.
https://ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

I really like it, but I wish I could automate it more.
Looks well supported - the interface it tough to use, but the software has been rock solid for me the past 3 months. Native support for the ZWO cameras too. Integrates with PHD2, CdC completely silently.

In an ideal world, I'd be able to set off a a series of exposures, and at the end of the night, tell it to put the scope in a specific position, take flats from an LED flat panel lightbox, and shut the dome.

It's asking a bit much for a capture program though!

I was looking at the ACP software, but it's a bit rich for my blood, especially as you need to by Maxim DL and other bits to make it all hang together.

In addition to the Green Swamp software, I'm also using the newer ASCOM Device Hub, which I use to control the dome and scope. This is so much more stable than the POTH.

https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/A...ceHub/releases
Old 26-02-2020, 10:16 AM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Quote:
I'm running APT at the moment.
https://ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

I really like it, but I wish I could automate it more.
Looks well supported - the interface it tough to use, but the software has been rock solid for me the past 3 months. Native support for the ZWO cameras too. Integrates with PHD2, CdC completely silently.

In an ideal world, I'd be able to set off a a series of exposures, and at the end of the night, tell it to put the scope in a specific position, take flats from an LED flat panel lightbox, and shut the dome.

It's asking a bit much for a capture program though!

I was looking at the ACP software, but it's a bit rich for my blood, especially as you need to by Maxim DL and other bits to make it all hang together.

In addition to the Green Swamp software, I'm also using the newer ASCOM Device Hub, which I use to control the dome and scope. This is so much more stable than the POTH.

https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/A...ceHub/releases
Sequence Generator Pro (SGP) may do all that automation for you.
https://mainsequencesoftware.com/Products/SGPro
Old 26-02-2020, 01:47 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Thanks Jeremy.

I had taken a look at SGP very briefly, but didn't realise it had dome support in there (it's a bit hidden).

I'll investigate deeper and maybe give the trial a go. Not looking forward to the learning curve, but I guess that is offset by the fact I can get some sleep knowing the system will actually shut down/close up automatically at the end of the night.

Now.... to look at environmental/cloud/rain sensors! I live in Melbourne after all!
Old 01-03-2020, 12:51 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Quote:
Thanks Jeremy.

I had taken a look at SGP very briefly, but didn't realise it had dome support in there (it's a bit hidden).

I'll investigate deeper and maybe give the trial a go. Not looking forward to the learning curve, but I guess that is offset by the fact I can get some sleep knowing the system will actually shut down/close up automatically at the end of the night.

Now.... to look at environmental/cloud/rain sensors! I live in Melbourne after all!
Have you tried using one of the scripts in APT, they may suit what you are looking for, here is a YouTube clip describing the setting up using a couple of scripts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrvy5KsVFzY

Cheers
Old 01-03-2020, 05:38 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

I thought the scripting stuff in there was a bit of an afterthought.
I'm sure it's fine, just a little less polished than I would like.

I've gotten most of the stuff in SGP working, but it's a bit flaky talking to PHD2 if things go a bit wrong. I could probably live with it though.

I went out to the ASV's Astrophotography section meeting today and watched a Voyager demo by Diego Colonnello of Sidereal Trading. I think I'm going to run the trial on that. It looks pretty good, and I think it might play better in the safety side of things (ie. I've had problems with SGP just having a fit with PHD2 and just shutting down the whole system).

I might get this rolling tonight and see how far I get. It's looking cloudy, so why not!
Old 05-02-2022, 10:55 PM
M_Lewis (Mark)

my thoughts having used it vs EQMOD.

- its nice, has voice prompts and the gui seems fresh and new compared to EQMOD, however it does have a major setback when compared to EQMOD. It does not support SPEC (or software PEC) for mounts that do not have PPEC, whereas EQMOD does. This is a huge advantage to those those who have mounts without PPEC and like better accuracy with autoguiding.

In addition, I found it spacked out occasionally and would send the mount to 'god knows where'. I have never had this problem with EQMOD.

If they could implement SPEC and the provide a little more feedback on the server side I would feel more comfortable using it over EQMOD, however it does not offer anything that I currently would consider a step up on a well established program.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:30 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Lewis View Post
however it does have a major setback when compared to EQMOD. It does not support SPEC (or software PEC) for mounts that do not have PPEC, whereas EQMOD does. This is a huge advantage to those those who have mounts without PPEC and like better accuracy with autoguiding.
PHD2 has Predictive PEC and, based on my testing, I think that is even better than PEC implementations in EQMOD and the native EQ8 PEC.

I've never had any issues with GSS spacking out.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:40 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve read the google group posts and replies for GSS, still lots of teething problems as you would expect from a third party developed software in its infancy
I’m using EQMOD until either it’s no longer supported by Windows or it stops operating.It just works and works well
Chris Shilito one of the original support developers of EQMOD is still helping folk on the EQMOD forum after 16 years , he answered one of my questions promptly the other day, now that’s what I call support.
Seems like fancy looking displays, user interfaces and audible voice prompts appeal to folk as something new and different catches the eye.
Yes EQMOD may look dated but it’s easy to navigate and operate and performs as advertised
No doubt within 4 or 5 years another alternative software will pop up like EQMOD and GSS.
Maybe I’ll jump ship then .......
Old 06-02-2022, 07:43 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I’ve read the google group posts and replies for GSS, still lots of teething problems as you would expect from a third party developed software in its infancy
I’m using EQMOD until either it’s no longer supported by Windows or it stops operating.It just works and works well
Chris Shilito one of the original support developers of EQMOD is still helping folk on the EQMOD forum after 16 years , he answered one of my questions promptly the other day, now that’s what I call support.
Seems like fancy looking displays, user interfaces and audible voice prompts appeal to folk as something new and different catches the eye.
Yes EQMOD may look dated but it’s easy to navigate and operate and performs as advertised
No doubt within 4 or 5 years another alternative software will pop up like EQMOD and GSS.
Maybe I’ll jump ship then .......
I'm sensing deja vu....might be a glitch in the matrix......