Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2020, 04:12 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Experimenting with poor seeing & modest 1.25" reducer

Time under the stars has been very little of late for us in Sydney. And when the clouds do clear, seeing has been poor. But you take what you get and look to make the most of it.

So during last week's rare clear night I tried a few things with my ED80.

I've been wanting to experiment with these modest 1.25" 0.5X focal reducers in something other than with DSO's. These focal reducers because of their simple design introduce significant field curvature (FC) to the field as the lens arrangement is not corrected. Well it can't as correcting for field curvature in a reducer needs to be scope and f/ratio specific.

The little reducers do serve a purpose, particularly in video astronomy with some FC is easy to tolerate with DSO's. But I hadn't tried one with the Moon.

The ED80's focal length and the small chip size of the 224 camera see's the Moon just a little too big (first pic is of the Moon neat though the ED80). So a fit the 1.25" reducer to the camera and had another go at getting some AVI footage, and for good measure add some shocking seeing conditions to the mix!

To my great surprise, the processed image with the reducer came up really well! The whole of the Moon fit in the FOV, and remained sharp across it entire span.

I then tried using a 3X barlow for the hell of it, namely to see how the poor seeing conditions would challenge the processing. Seeing by now had degraded even more too. And yes, there are a lot of processing artifacts that can be seen in the third pic. Conditions were certainly not good enough to go for any high magnification.

All images were processed using Registax 6 & AutoStakkert, and touched up a little with Photo Gallery (yep, from Microsoft...). Part of the exercise was also to push software that is already on many computers and see what can be done with them. With seeing being so blooming poor, I only used 5% of the captured frames for each image (roughly 420 frames in each).

I am very pleasantly surprised what this modest little reducer did with the Moon for me! It certainly allowed for a better image to be obtained than what neat through the scope could do on the night, and a hell of a lot better than high magnification could offer.

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ed80 neat.jpg)
80.8 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (ed80 0.5X reducer.jpg)
186.6 KB58 views
Click for full-size image (ed80 3X barlow.jpg)
126.9 KB58 views
Old 06-02-2020, 06:20 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Lovely lunar images with subtle sharpness and great natural colour
I miss some lunar imaging, haven’t done any since early November last year
Well done !!
Old 06-02-2020, 06:31 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Nice work and great example of what's capable with freebie software!
Old 12-02-2020, 09:12 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Thanks for your kind words, Martin and Lost'

One thing that I hope new comers to astro, not just photo, is the benefit of thinking outside the box when conditions are not the best. Sometimes the plans that we have for a night might not quite go as we want them to, so, adapt!

If the adapting doesn't work out, that is a good thing. It means valuable experience has been gained all the same. And if the adapting yields surprising results, it means another tool in your box of tricks!
Old 18-02-2020, 10:42 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

There seems to be a few great 'cheap' focal reducers out there if you are lucky. I had a really good 0.5x 1.25" that came with my old revolution imager (the original v1 with the analog camera). Wish I kept it as it was a great match for my later asi224mc. I also had a bintel reducer - was nowhere near as good
Old 18-02-2020, 05:00 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Thanks Chris

I too noticed differences between a couple of 0.5x reducers. I have a couple from different makes, and they are very diffetent. I wouldn't necessarily say they are of different quality, but of different design, where one is better suited to scopes than the other. But the "lesser" one I've only tried in one scope type (an sct if I remember correctly). I'd like to try it in different scope types to make up my mind about it.

Alex.
Old 18-02-2020, 06:42 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Nice ones Alex.